Precision rifle in 7mm Rem Mag?

The 7mm Remington Magnum is the most popular magnum caliber in America. And there are reasons why it is so, some more valid than others. It will do everything a 270 Winchester or 30-'06 Springfield can do, and perhaps slightly more besides. The main difference it has from those other two is that of reduced magazine capacity. Another is cost of ammo. But how many shot do you really need? Every hunting season, the most popular ammo goes on sale, and 7mmRM is among those calibers. I would choose a 270 Winchester, myself; but let the man have his 7mm magnum. To me, the big issue is this:
The brake makes it easy to shoot but damn near intolerable for others.
Lose the brake! I can't be around those infernal devices when they go off, no matter how much hearing protection I wear. Plugs and muffs combined; it's not enough!
As far as recommending a rifle goes....I vote for a model 70 Winchester.

The 7mmRM is probably one of the finest all around cartridges we have. If a shooter can't handle the recoil, that has little to do with the cartridge and more to do with the rifle and a persons sensitivity that any particular cartridge IMO.

People say the same thing about the 300 magnum and yet people continue to hunt with them with great success. As far as getting one of the "new" 7mm's instead of the classic, what do they offer that the 7mmRM doesn't already deliver?

There is a reason the "other" 7mm's are dying off. 7mm WSM? 7mm Weatherby? 280 AI? 7 SAUM? 7mm RUM? Did I miss some?

They all fall to the 7mmRM. The 280AI is the only one that is even a contender and that is very limited in ammo and gun availability and doesn't even match the 7mmRM.

Whether or not a 7mmRM is NEEDED is for the shooter to decide, but don't dismiss it simply because it's not the flavor of the week.

As far as being a barrel burner, you'll never know it in a hunting rifle. If you plan to shoot long strings of fire and get the barrel smoking hot then sure, you'll burn it up eventually but so will many other calibers too.

Sorry if that's ranty, I've shot the 7mmRM since I was 11 years old and never even knew it had a lot of recoil till somebody told me.

Not one thing I can do with a 7mm Rem Mag I can't also do with a 7x57 or a 280. I've had all three!

Not one thing I can do with a 7mm Rem Mag I can't also do with a 7x57 or a 280. I've had all three!

Sure, and the 308 can do anything a 300 Win Mag can do too. But the magnums have the advantage at longer ranges, and I'm not just talking 600+ either. If you look at ballistics the magnums are dropping a lot less as close as 3-400 yards and basically add 2-400 yards of usable killing range over the non magnum counterparts.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 308 and a 7mm08 and love them greatly but I also have a few 7mmRM and a 300 WSM and they have their place, especially with heavier bullets and game.

T.O'Heir,

For a while the 7mm Rem was THE cartridge for 1000 yard competition.
I think this was after the 375 H&H. Which was before the 300 Win Mag.

If you can handle the recoil magnums get there faster/flatter.

Of course by your recoil statement the 338LM, 408 Cheyetek, 416 Barret, 50 BMG wouldn't make for good long distance target guns either.

Purely from memory,I might be wrong...Sierra's loadbook page on the 7mm Rem used to mention a Woman shot a record 1000 yd championshipwin with a 7mm Rem and 168 gr Sierra MK's...maybe 1963?

I bought a used M70 first series Post 64, for use in Washigton stae firtyring Elk, never got the change to use. Using commecial ammo, woudnot group @ 100yds on a paper plate.

Reloaded some bulletsby soft-seating and closing hte bolt, and finally got decent grouping. Presently using it for MI whitetails, using differnent powder gharge as a 7x57mm Muaser loading.

I'm considering to rebarrel with a Douglas barrel and set the chambering tighter.

a 7mm 162gr bullet at 3000+ fps out of a 26-28" barrel still has 16-17 hundred fps and 9-10 hundred fpe at 1000 yards, no 3006-270-280 can do that. eastbank.

Find an older Remington Sendero in 7mm mag. I shot mine a couple of times at 1000 using the 162 Amax bullet. I tried shooting the spindle out of the spotter, could not do that, but hitting the 6 inch spotter was easy. It is more accurate than you will ever need, and has a lot less recoil than any of the 300 mags.

Also, the 7mm beats the 300's hands down with anything less than a 220 grain bullet. Run the numbers, the 7mm has more downrange velocity and energy. Starting a 162 at 3100 feet/sec, at 1000 yards it is still going well over 1800 feet/sec.

Nearly every member of the U.S. F-Class Rifle Team uses 7mm. in one of several flavors; leading the pack is the old, plain-jane .284 Winchester.

http://www.usfclass.com/what-we-use/

OP has not been back to detail how "accurate" a rifle recommendation he's looking for, which was the reason for his post; not a chambering suggestion.

The KDF (a Voere Titan II reworked by KDF technically) will put three holes touching each other at 100yds on a good day, never four though. Since it starts to walk around 3-5 rounds in, I generally stick to one load and make it work since zeroing is a pain.

^^^Never seen one, nice rifle. Does it have the DST?
IMO, if you want a rifle that's going to shoot in the 2's or 3's (holes touching) consistently you're in the custom market with a high end barrel (Bartlein, Krieger, Brux)...

You might get very lucky with something like a Sendero, but that's a demanding level of accuracy requiring an extremely accurate barrel with hand loads to match.

It does have the double set trigger; but I rarely use it as when it is set, you'll definitely get the "surprise break" since you'll just barely realize you've touched it before it goes boom. It came with some "matched" 154gr KDF marked 7mm ammo.

I have too much trigger time on ARs so that disturbs me a bit.

Last edited:
Ok, so anyone doing a 3/4 MOA or better 7mm Mag with a long enough top Picatinny rail to support a day scope and clip on? It looks like maybe the Tikka TAC A1 (if I can find it in 7mm mag). Maybe the Savage Stealth?

T3x is available only in .308, 6.5 Creed and .260 far as I know.
7 mag isn't available in any "off the shelf" tactical style rifles like the Tikka, Savage Ashbury, RPR geared towards the PRS crowd; all are .30/6.5/6. Too much recoil for that market.

SaltyDog235 is all over the right answer:

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-85-finn-bear-7mm-rem-mag-95-twist-24-barrel-mpn-jrsf570.aspx

You can't beat Euro Optic's price. You can't beat Sako's quality.

The 7MM Rem Mag was designed to be a long range elk cartridge. It has exceeded expectations. It is the definitive North American big game cartridge. However, if Remington had introduced the .280 Rem in its famed Model 700, there might not have been the 7MM Rem Mag. I'd give up 200 FPS for a 22" barreled .280 Rem.

The 7MM Rem Mag is the largest cartridge that ~90% of hunters can bench shoot w/o developing flinches.

Sectional densities of .284 caliber bullets give the 7MM Rem Mag an incredible ability to penetrate. Bullet penetration is essential for killing big game.

+2 for Savage.
I have an older model 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. Bedded the stoch. Put an EGW solid base on. Vortex Viper rings and a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X42 scope.
Green Blod bipod with 3" extensions

+3. My 110 with a 3x9 Nikon Monarch is a tack driver.

Back