Pre-measured loads

DealHunter

I'd been looking for an excuse to get into BP shooting and found it in a nice used ROA a few days ago. Now, there are outdoor ranges I can shoot BP at, but I wanted to try it out at the local county indoor range (which is actually pretty nice) since it's closer and much warmer (I don't want numb fingers when doing something new). The catch is they require any BP shooting be done with pre-measured loads to "avoid any loose powder handling on the firing line".

So, what would be the best way to transport pre-measure loads? Little glass or plastic vials (like those used in various labs)? I'd consider paper cartridges but I've never made any before...

Suggestions are appreciated since I'm new to this :)

I've bought plastic vials on ebay that hold 35grs of black powder.They're nice because you don't have to do any measuring just fill them up.You can find them by doing a search for ruger old army on ebay.

What I use

0003-2.jpg

Go to any photo developing place and get empty 35mm plastic vials with caps. Getting harder to find with digital cameras but when you can you can get hundreds for free. I can't believe you found an indoor range that will let you shoot black powder. Must have a good ventilation system.

N-SSA shooters use plastic plugs of a matching diameter to your bullet. You pour in the powder charge, then stuff the bullet in the end. To use, pull out bullet, pour in powder, then drop in bullet.

S&S Firearms sells, them.

Steve

Diabetic blood testing strip come in a sturdy canister j u St like film. A little smaller but they may work. I might have to start saving mine.

I'm not getting mouthy, but......

I think some of you are missing the main point. He is shooting a ROA, so he needs small pre-measured loads. And, what? 5 of them for each reload? I doubt that an indoor range will let him load 6. I don't see how film canisters would help. Still loose powder. I have used empty 45-70s to carry reloads for my Hawken and .308s to carry for my 1858.

Our local indoor range is so well ventilated that it's just as cold inside as outdoors. They allow black powder loads.
I used to carry premeasured loads in empty .30-30 cases that somebody gave me with stoppers made out of foam earplugs.

Slightly off the point...

...And probly you already checked,

But some indoor ranges don't permit BP shooting.

Perhaps you want to check with them.

AND

Any special reason for wanting to use pre-measured loads?

I know that plenty of folks use them.

That's what I like about my range. We can do just about anything we want. We have had machine gun shoots with explosives on the range. One time we had a 106mm recoil less rifle fired there. Some of us were not happy with the guys that hung a 5 gallon bucket of tannerite in a tree at the 200 yard line. Kinda messed up some trees. Not to mention that it shook my house. I'm 3 miles from the range.

I think some of you are missing the main point. He is shooting a ROA, so he needs small pre-measured loads. And, what? 5 of them for each reload? I doubt that an indoor range will let him load 6. I don't see how film canisters would help. Still loose powder.

Well, if it's a muzzle loader, he's going to be dealing with loose powder at some time during loading. I assumed this was to make small manageable amounts of pre-measured powder as opposed to working with a flask.

If you can't have lose powder at all, your only option is to make consumable paper cartridges, as was noted above.

Steve

Lanes powder tubes,
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com...s-powder-tubes

Doesn't work. It wants ID and password to get in

And I say again......... Dixie has just what he needs to comply with his range's rules - Here is just one of the products available

XA5220 Dixie Quick Load Target Tube - .44 - .50 Caliber $9.95
XA5220.JPG

.44 - .50 caliber, yellow,holds 45 grains of powder. Reusable tubes expandable for different size balls; patched or unpatched round balls, conical slugs or minie bullets. Will also work for the calibers in between and under, but will be somewhat loose or rather tight to be fitted into the expandable tube. Tubes are permanently sealed on one end and open at the other. Black powder charge is poured into the tube and a projectile is inserted to hold the charge. You now have a complete load for your black powder gun. Field tested for over four years with more than 200 loadings per tube. Machine wash in a loosely woven container, place in washer wit old jeans at luke warm temperature; air dry. Powder will not stick to the tube. For finest results, shake dry tubes in paper bag with talcum powder after washing. Made of high quality vinyl in USA. Sold in a bag of 50.

Last edited:
Back