pre-carry inspections???

Do you conduct pre-carry inspections?

• Yes, I conduct detailed pre-carry inspections.

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Yes, I at least conduct a brass-check.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • No, I do not conduct a pre-carry inspection.

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoshB

I work on a military installation where personal weapons are not allowed. When I come home, I conduct an inspection of my 1911 b/f I carry it that consists of 1) releasing the mag 2) racking the slide to empty the chamber 3) dry-fire 4) reload & holster. I do this inspection to make sure the weapon functions properly and there is a LIVE round in the chamber. WHY? I think it is entirely possible for someone to come in your house while you are at work and replace the round in the chamber with empty brass to set you up.

I know someone is going to tell me that I'm paranoid, but I have close family members who have made a good # of enemies from their time in LE [I'll say this in advance - I can't go into details here]. It hasn't happened in a few years, but some of us have come home to find some interesting things [again, I can't go into details here]. I'm sure we all heard the story on the history channel about when something similar happened to a guy's revolver in the "wild west." This is just a security measure I take and I was curious if anyone else at TFL does the same thing.

If "someone" went to all the effort and trouble, to locate your home, B&E, and put an empty in the chamber of your 1911, !?!. Why wouldn't they just wait there till you came home? At least then they'd get a nice 1911 for their trouble. I'll bite, what are "they", setting you up for? Regards 18DAI.

I said yes, but not really for the reasons you mentioned, more because it's a good habit. I always clear it, do a function check, check for bore obstructions, and ensure I have live ammo loaded. I'm more worried about setting myself up.

The thought of someone messing with my weapons has crossed my mind, but I tell myself that's not why I'm doing the check. :)

Pre-carry inspections are a good idea; I do it all the time, although it's somewhat limited. I'm careful not to re-chamber the same round if I clear the chamber.

racking the slide to empty the chamber 3) dry-fire 4) reload & holster.
A note of caution here. Re-chambering of the same round over and over can change the seating depth of a taper crimped bullet like the .45 ACP, 9mm, or .380. This will change the pressures, and while I can't honestly remember off the top of my head whether pressures increase or decrease, either way ain't a good thing. If you're going to re-chamber live rounds, be sure to rotate the first round up.

One of the reasons I like a Walther is the loaded chamber indicator. It eliminates the need for a physical check. I wish all semi-autos had this feature.

A note of caution here. Re-chambering of the same round over and over can change the seating depth of a taper crimped bullet like the .45 ACP, 9mm, or .380. This will change the pressures, and while I can't honestly remember off the top of my head whether pressures increase or decrease, either way ain't a good thing. If you're going to re-chamber live rounds, be sure to rotate the first round up.

+1 on this, very true, PARTICULARLY FOR .40!!!

One of the reasons I like a Walther is the loaded chamber indicator. It eliminates the need for a physical check. I wish all semi-autos had this feature.

My beretta has this, but I never trust it. Same as witha safety, good to have as a back up, but I don't bet my life(or another persons) on it working.

I carry a revolver and every time I pick it up I give it a little shake. Live rounds rattle a bit. Spent rounds don't and obviousally, an empty revolver doesn't rattle. Just a habbit.
dean

I carry a revolver as well. I wipe it with an oil cloth every few days and check for lint or other obstructions/build up. Of course I empty the cylinder. I can see everytime I pick it up if it's loaded (all except the round behind the hammer but that's not the one that will fire anway if the trigger is pulled). I rotate my carry ammo every 60 days or so.

I said yes, but not really for the reasons you mentioned, more because it's a good ha

+1. Always safe, always ready.

Pre-carry inspections are a good idea; I do it all the time, although it's somewhat limited. I'm careful not to re-chamber the same round if I clear the chamber.

I voted "yes" for similar but not identical reasons. I don't always eject a loaded round when I get home, because my primary carry weapon is usually my secondary SD weapon at home. However, if I do eject a live round, I put that particular round in my stash of range rounds and replace it with a fresh one. I also case gauge all rounds, and I wipe all carry rounds with a rag to clear off any oils/crud before I load them into a mag.

I voted no, . . .

I am the one who takes the 1911 out of my holster or my safe and puts it on the nightstand, . . .

And, . . .

I am the one who takes the 1911 off the night stand and puts it back into the holster or the safe, . . .

And, . . .

I am the one who takes the 1911 out of the safe and into the holster (or vice versa).

Though I do on occasion, . . . just to re-check myself out, . . . double check that there is a live round and 8 more in the mag. This usually occurs after I have cleaned or shot or shown the pistol to someone (after MTing and clearing the weapon).

May God bless,
Dwight

Even locked in the safe

I know the status of all my weapons; only 2 guns not locked up - duty gun and off-duty gun de jour...only 2 handguns in the safe are unloaded...CZ-52 (have not been to the range with it yet - so no load) and a US Model 1901 .38 S&W. I know my handguns that I own; I know they will function if needed.

I do perform quarterly maintenance on them however - common sense.

Every time my firearm leaves my hand except into my holster, the next time I pick it up I check the FULL condition of it.

Yes I rechamber the same round over again but I shoot whatever I carry once a month. I go thru my carry mag then.

My backup mag becomes my primary mag and my primary gets reloaded with fresh carry ammo.

Thanks for the input on the poll. I think it's safe to say that most of conduct some kind of pre-carry inspection every time we do not have direct controll of our firearm. I think that's a good reccomendation for everyone. If you're going to take the responsibility of carrying a firearm, you should know exactly what's going on with it.

i voted for just the brass check because that's what i usually do but now that i get to reading some of these post i think i may start doing a full function check from now on.

If a firearm is not on my hip or in my hand, it's unloaded. Period. As a safety measure, I never place a loaded weapon in an uncontrolled environment. In my gun safe, I place my 1911 on the right, muzzle pointed forward and 45 degrees to the left, grips on the right side. Full magazines are placed on the left, rounds facing away, at a 45 degree angle to the right. From this configuration, I reach in, pick up weapon and mags in a usable grip, and go to work.

If I take my weapon out of the holster and put it down, I drop the mag and eject the chamber, and I do it every single time. Them'z the rules at my place.

So, yes. Before I place it in the holster, I have to insert magazine and rack the action. This seems common-sensical to me, and I am surprised that other people feel ok about leaving loaded guns laying around...

I'm more worried about setting myself up.

Yep. Don't always dry-fire for function, but always check the barrel, ammo, etc. (usually carrying a revolver).

It's not about "leaving loaded guns laying around." In fact, I don't believe a single poster suggested as much.

Back