Pre-1964 Model 70 264mag Need Advice

"Dave Anderson: So early Featherweights did not have the trademark stock with it's Schneable (spelling) forend and checkering exclusive the the Featherwight???"

That's correct. The Featherweight stock design with Schnable forearm was introduced around 1980 - '81 when the Featherweight model was reintroduced on the push-feed model 70 action. This configuration remains in use on the current production controlled-round feed model 70 Featherweights.

The stock on the pictured rifle is amazing, what a beautiful chunk of wood and checkering. The trigger guard does not look M70.

I agree. In fact, I think the stock is way too pretty to ever have been on a factory production Model 70 and, coupled with the non-Model 70 trigger guard, these apparent "anomalies" lead me to believe that Grandpa's Winchester is at least quasi-customized. If so, though a hardcore collector might find a customized Model 70, even a pre-64 variant in pristine condition, less desirable than an "unmolested" one, I agree with those who suggest keeping this gorgeous heirloom and using it (albeit, maybe a little more carefully than a "run-of-the-mill" Model 70).

"I will try to post a pic but it looks almost identical to the one in the link below." (from the original post)

I think some need to read the original post a bit more carefully. The rifle in the photo at the link is NOT his grandfather's rifle, it is a photo he found somewhere online to help give an idea of what his grandfather's rifle looks like.

The rifle in the photo appears to be a pre-'64 Featherweight Super Grade judging by the upgraded wood, checkering patterns on pistol grip and forearm, and the black grip cap and forearm tip. If so it should also be marked Super Grade on the floorplate. Incidentally the pre-'64 Featherweight Super Grade was never offered in .264 Mag., only in .243, .270, .308 Win. and .30-'06.

The grandfather's rifle should look more similar to the one at the Gunbroker link shown above by old roper. The .264 was the only Featherweight which came with a factory installed recoil pad.

I think some need to read the original post a bit more carefully. The rifle in the photo at the link is NOT his grandfather's rifle, it is a photo he found somewhere online to help give an idea of what his grandfather's rifle looks like.

The rifle in the photo appears to be a pre-'64 Featherweight Super Grade judging by the upgraded wood, checkering patterns on pistol grip and forearm, and the black grip cap and forearm tip.

I'm one who should have read the original post a bit more carefully. But I do agree with Slamfire's opinion that the trigger guard on the "online photo at the link" does not appear to be an original Model 70 trigger guard. Too, the stock appears to have more figure in it than even "upgraded" wood on Super Grades than usual, at least as compared to the ones I've examined in the past.

Thank you Dave Anderson for explaining that to me. I honestly did not know.

I love my Winnies but still have alot to learn about their heritage :)

To the OP: I say use it...but with a degree of discretion to keep her nice :)

I have two rifles that belonged to my uncle who passed much too young and one S&W model 19-3 that belonged to my dad who also passed much too young. Now these are not collectible as your model 70 is, but I take them out shooting and hunting frequently. Kind of like having them with me. I sit in the woods hunting with Dad's m19 on my lap looking at it, remembering all the fun we had with impromptu shooting contests, thinking about how that revolver was always on Dad's hip when we all went hunting. It is my most prized handgun and I would throw all the rest I own into a lake before letting Dad's go.

"I do agree with Slamfire's opinion that the trigger guard on the "online photo at the link" does not appear to be an original Model 70 trigger guard. Too, the stock appears to have more figure in it than even "upgraded" wood on Super Grades than usual." dgludwig

I think you are right on both points. Actually I should have looked at the photos a bit more carefully myself, I notice on second look that there is no Monte Carlo drop at heel, which one would expect on a factory Featherweight stock. Also the shaping of the wood around the receiver on the right side is a style more often seen on custom stocks.

Did a bit of searching online and found the exact photo from which the link was taken. The rifle is described by the owner as a custom by Griffin & Howe chambered for .358 Win. This would mean it couldn't be an original Featherweight Super Grade, since as I mentioned in an earlier post, Winchester never offered the Featherweight SG in .358. Looks to have a Griffin & Howe side mount.

Reminds me of one of my worst "kick myself" memories; two or three decades ago a dealer/collector offered me a pair of pre-war, Winchester 70 Super Grades in .300 and .375 H&H Magnums, $2,500 for the pair. Both had the Griffin & Howe side mount which may reduce collector value a little, but is nonetheless a very strong and practical mount. Anyway I passed them up, have often regretted doing so.

Aeterna, if you are still debating whether to hunt with this rifle, another consideration is ballistics. The 22" barrel of the pre-'64 Featherweight really cuts back .264 Mag. performance.

The Speer #9 loading manual (1974) had a section showing chronographed data of factory cartridges in various barrel lengths. Here's the data they show for W-W .264 Mag. ammo loaded with 140-gr. bullets: Factory claimed velocity: 3,200 fps. Chronographed, 26" barrel 3,139 fps; 24" barrel 3,077 fps; 22" barrel, 2,919 fps.

Using reloads in my .260 Rem. and 6.5x55 rifles (22" barrels) I easily get velocities of around 2,750 fps with 140 gr. bullets, with a lot less powder, muzzle blast, recoil, and much better barrel life. As another comparison a .270 Win. with 22" barrel is capable of 2,950 - 3,000 fps with 140 gr. bullets.

I have .264 Mag. model 70s with 24" and 26" barrels, like the cartridge, but must admit they are loud beasts. Never shot the cartridge in a 22" barrel but I imagine muzzle blast would be ferocious. My point is, setting aside collector value issues, I don't see this as a fun rifle to shoot and don't see the performance justifies the cost of ammunition, muzzle blast, recoil, or short barrel life.

Thanks for the information Dave, after reading all of this I think I will keep this rifle nice and clean using it on occasion. Especially when you take into consideration the cost of ammo.

And yes with the 22" barrel this thing looks and sounds like a canon, thats part of the fun.

Back