Practicing with several guns

I always take both of my .357 revolvers to the range at the same time, and shoot with both of them alternating every fifteen or twenty rounds. One is a Ruger, the other a S&W; the cylinder releases work differently and the S&W has a heavier trigger... I don't have any other two guns of the same chambering that have different controls, so it isn't a problem with anything else. It isn't even really an issue with the revolvers, but I practice as if it were.

I usually take 3 handguns to the indoor range and shoot them randomly.

I have a friend who is an LEO and he will take several handguns. One thing that I have noticed. . .he ALWAYS finishes with his duty gun.

Geetarman:D

I am not so super strict about firing with only one gun - I usually start out with my Ruger .22

But for me, I have limited resources, I only have so much time I can spend at the range, I also have to pay from range time, and the money I spend on ammo is also a factor.

I want to make sure I can use my primary handgun instinctively and without a lot of thinking and I only have so much time and money to accomplish that.

If I were rotating through a bunch of different firearms - some with manual safeties that flipped down, some with manual safeties that flipped up - some with levers that are decockers, some with no levers at all some with magazine release levers some with magazine release buttons... I think I would end up never mastering any single one of them to the point where when I needed to use it instinctively I could. If there are people out there that feel confident that they can well good for them. Some people don't even have a "primary" handgun. They've got a rotation of night stand guns, a summer gun, a winter gun, different guns they take with them in their car... and they're all different makes and models.

I want to devote enough time and effort to make sure I can use my primary handgun. On the other hand, I enjoy shooting. So I like the experience of shooting different pistols. Occasionally I will give myself a "fun day" at the range where I do nothing but shoot whatever I want. But usually I focus on making sure that I can fire my primary handgun accurately.

I shoot them all, often. A gun is a gun, it holds a bullet, a trigger is needed to lite the fire out the barrel goes the round. Like driving a car, sure one may have a clutch but after a bit you can drive it, then you will finsd you can drive both a clutch and a automatic. Guns are same, as are all tools. A drill is a drill. Learn all you own, niot just one or two, never know when you may need that other gun, best know how to use it.

My Uncle taught me that, he carried 4 or 5 guns when undercover and on guard detail.

I take 3-4 handguns to the range,,,

And they vary from trip to trip.

But always, the last one I shoot, is my carry gun,,,
I will usually run about 5 magazines through her.

Aarond

Like Cruz, I can go between guns without too much problem. When I shoot, I may have five or six on hand and switch back and forth a few times.

I may "shoot" several guns at the range but I only practice with one. If that makes any sense.

To answer your question.. No, I would not practice with several different firearms of the same type.

I'm in a rotation time, My Primary is a RIA CS, at the moment I'm carrying an old S&W 469, when Winter comes I'll usually carry an Armscor .38 or a .357 LadySmith.

As for the question, do I have a problem differing the gun styles Yes:
For about the first day or two.

I like to be able to be proficient, on wheel guns and different style of autos.

Does that make me a Better/Worse shooter, I hope to heck I never have a reason to find out.

But I know that I like to be able to shoot different platforms with confidence.

So many different perspectives...

For beginners...

Typically you're young or just starting out and you only have one gun. So this is really a non issue.

Later in life...
You have the funds but lack the experience of shooting well. So, you may have multiple guns but don't have the skills necessary to shoot them all well.

Mix...
Then there's the combo of both of the above or whatever your situation.

For you the OP... what is best?

For you you have to ask yourself what is it you want to do... and factor...

Then you have to factor in what you want to do with the gun... Do you as Pax mentioned use it for self defense? For pure enjoyment of shooting well (marksmanship) or a combo?

If you look at many of my post... I urge folks to first get some lessons from a private instructor. Doing this will allow you the shooter to focus on properly training yourself to shoot well from the onset... not by trial and error as many of us have plowed through our lives to shoot well.

By having a skilled eye watch "you" shoot... one can determine what would be best by first recognizing what areas you can improve and what areas you are doing well. Then develop those skills to get you onto the road to shoot better and better.

So my perspective... if you are "new" or "old" is to stick to your primary firearm and also have or get a .22

Many forget the qualities of what a .22 can do for those "practicing" the marksmanship skills on a platform that one can be financially easier on the pocket book but will also mean you have much more "trigger time" due to cost and ease of shooting.

Hope this helps so go find a good instructor in your area... "invest" in yourself.

The basic principles of good marksmanship are the same for every gun. Your primary carry gun should be the one you practice with the most, but shooting other guns during the same range trip isn't a problem. Focus on a steady hold and trigger squeeze and you will shoot most guns well. Dry fire with something balanced on top of the slide is good practice. Having someone else load your magazines with snap caps randomly inserted will also reveal if you are flinching.

I use a S&W 5906 9mm and a S&W 1911 45ACP (my fav) and alternate to practice Single and Double action. I love them both I think you should practice with as many different types as possible. I think it improves your overall prowess.

Plinking or SD

I don't mind shooting different guns for testing and evaluation. I enjoy plinking so its pretty fun to diversify. What gets me is when people carry 5 different guns for self defense. If they are five weapons with similar manual of arms then that's not too bad but most every gun has its own working parts and training for self defense with too many weapons can have its downsides. Same goes for trying different holsters. Who cares how fast you draw a 1911 from a competition holster if you carry Glock IWB??? Here is a prime example of why I disagree with experimenting too much: http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE
How bout you find something that works for you in most situations and you work on mastering that. To paraphrase a quote,"I fear the man with one gun who has mastered it more than the guy with 30 guns and is sub-mediocre with them all."
Stay safe, Great question!!!

Your mileage will vary.
Pistol wise I generally shoot the .22 pistol a lot. Shooting .22 is like golf for me. About half the shooting session I am trying to get smaller the better groupings with the dream of ten touching rounds in a hole. The other half I spend on point shooting or reaction drills with smaller targets due to the pistol's lower recoil and superior accuracy.

Usually towards the end I will start layering in either my Beretta (in DA only mode) or my Kimber CC pistol. In this manner my actual drills for defense purposes are the same with a similar trigger style. With the exception of the .22 the other pistols have similar finger grips as well.

Work on your shooting fundamentals and it shouldn't matter what is in your hand. Last time I was at the range a buddy of mine went from a Sig 228 to a Beretta 92 (both in 9mm) to my Glock 23 and his shot groups were just as tight with all of them.

The problem isn't one of hitting the target. In fact, for well-rounded shooting skills, shooting a variety can be very useful.

The problem is not putting enough emphasis on practice with the carry gun(s). Muscle memory for those should be practically hard-wired. It's less about the shooting, and more about safeties, stoppage-clearing, and other operations under high stress.

So, it's good to practice with multiple types, so long as carry guns are trained to the point of conditioned reflex.

Back