Practicing with several guns

Roland Thunder

Previously, when I would go to the range, I would take my Sig 226 and my Kahr PM9. I shoot one for a while and then switch to the other, both are 9mm. Because I am having some accuracy issues, especially with the PM9, I recently have tried a different approach. I just changed my approach so now when I go to the range, I only shoot one gun, the next time I go I only shoot the other one and so forth. It's too early to tell if this is paying off. I even thought about only practicing with one gun (say the Sig) and not shoot the other one (Kahr) until I get my skill level up with the Sig.

My question is: Do you think the switching back and forth between guns would hinder proficiency with either one and I should only shoot one gun until I am good with it or is the switching back and forth likely to not be a hindrance.

I never had that problem before. It seems like I can go from one to the other without any changes. I would guess more time with each gun will keep you more proficient so bring both. At least that's what I do when I switch between my Sig and FN. BTW what range do you use, I'm also in ATL?

I drive a stick, and when I have had to rent a car, I find myself reaching for a shifter that isn't there.

I think the more time you have with a single pistol - the better you are at using it, the more your attention is divided between different makes and models, the less profficient you are with any single pistol.

I divided in that, I like shooting, its fun for me.

I guess if personal safety was my my number one over riding concern, I would only practice with my "carry" gun (I am in Illinois and don't carry).

But I know I won't have a lot of fun at the range shooting just a Kahr or Rohrbaugh, or whatever my carry pistol was.

I think the approach is probably right... concentrate on one firearm until you have figured out what is going on and your muscles and reflexes learn automatically how to fire correctly with that pistol. Then go to the next pistol. I think that kind of training is probably better than going back and forth between two pistols constantly.

Just my opinion.

Some people scream that you should dedicate yourself to a single platform. Personally, I like shooting multiple guns. There have been days that I shot less than stellar with one design and outstanding with another. I prescribe to the theory that your shooting won't improve if you don't enjoy it. Trying to force yourself to shoot a gun that you are having a bad day on is not positive training. I say take both if you want and flip flop which one you shoot first. Having options and being well versed on multiple platforms is never a bad thing.

My question is: Do you think the switching back and forth between guns would hinder proficiency with either one and I should only shoot one gun until I am good with it or is the switching back and forth likely to not be a hindrance.

I can shoot any of my guns very well. That said most of my practice is devoted to the platform which may be called upon to safe my life. All of my tactical practice is done with said platform.

I practice with 1911s, Glocks and revolvers. Sometimes all on the same day, sometimes not. I don't feel like I'm compromising my training wither way.

All my guns are different and require a different manual of arms to use. I practice with them all and try to tailor my practice more towards what I'm carrying most at the time. So right now, I shoot and practice with my 4" XD and my CZ/VZ 82 the most. When the temps start to drop again, I'll switch my focus more to my CZ SP-01 as it sees more winter/fall carry. I also try to maintain some training with the SP-01 since it serves as my nightstand gun.

As soon as I'm no longer laid off I'm saving a few dollars and buying a 4" 357 mag. Hopefully that doesn't mess me up too much.

Be great with one have fun with the others

I purposely buy a variety of calibers from different manufactures. I find it enjoyable to take them all to the range. I do however make special outings with my primary carry gun just to make sure I maintain my accuracy.

Well since I only have 2 guns and carry both of them, I naturally shoot both of them when I go to the range. I admit my 9mm gets more time due to the ammo being less expensive than the .40. I do love the way my Glock 23 shoots though.

I actually went to the range with my cousin today, he paid for the ammo!

Good fundamentals are good fundamentals. Many skills will transfer across the board. For instance, even though it's a fairly long DA pull, I find that practicing with a snubby helps with maintaining good sight picture on my bigger guns, revolvers and autos alike. (If you can keep the front sight locked on while pulling a snubby's trigger through, you can keep nearly any front sight locked on.)

Some things don't transfer, but those are typically manual of arms related, and don't have that much bearing on shooting per se. They bear more on loading, unloading, and clearing stoppages.

For simplicity's sake, I might try to keep the manual of arms similar for defense autos - except I have to admit I don't. Lately, I've shifted from 1911 mode back to DAO or decocked DA/SA mode. Doesn't matter much, as far as how well I can hit a target.

FWIW, the PM9 is an amazingly accurate gun, for something so small. Of course, I think my 442 is pretty darned accurate, too.

Summary: Don't sweat it; work on good basics (sight picture & follow-through, breath control, trigger control, proper posture and support) with whatever you are shooting, and those skills will benefit whatever pistol you have in hand.

I have no problems shooting multiple weapons. I can pick up a gun and shoot it just fine :) but then I also work on em...... maybe that helps.

For competition I only train with the gun or guns that will be used.

The rest of the time I prefer to take a combination of guns. For example a rimfire pistol and revolver and a centerfire pistol and revolver. Calibers of the centerfires are irrelevant except I like to keep them different. My rationale in rotating guns every time I go to the range is I know all the guns work and no matter what gun I pick up I already have the muscle memory for it, I don;t have to adjust. The basics of grip, breath control, sight picture and trigger control stay the same no matter what the platform and no matter what range you are shooting so its all marksmanship practice.

This drives some people crazy but like one of my cop buddies noted when we traded guns and shot and then traded again with the officer he was shooting with. "It don;t matter what damn gun you shoot does it?" He was right because switching from wheel gun to 1911 to Glock to wheel gun in a different caliber was just another days shooting for me. If I am having a bad day it isn't going to matter what gun I shoot and if I am having a good day the same applies.

My only rule that stays firm is if I have a 357 in my fist there can be no ammo on my bench except 357 and when I trade the ammo gets traded too. I have seen the results of what happens when you stick a wrong caliber in a gun and so far it has only been embarrassing but I don't want to be there when it gets worse than that.

I think that if you went to the range and learned to adjust to different guns' ergonomics, then that would make you a better all around shooter. Put, say, some rounds in your target with your Sig, then pick up your Glock and put some rounds in the target. Learn to become efficient with what ever gun you pick up.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with shooting just once gun, but you sound like your looking for a way to do it the same all the time. Why not vary the routine so it doesn't matter all that much which gun you shoot.

What you don't want is to have to shoot a gun for a while before you get it dialed in each time you take a new gun to the range. If you own more than one gun, become efficient with more than one gun.:cool:

I often shoot several, and since shooting is fun for me I do not think about the absolute best proficiency. In theory it would make a difference, but not sure it does in practice.
Jerry

If you are practicing for the purpose of self defense, consistency is your ally and inconsistency your enemy -- since you will want to train your reflexes to take certain actions in a certain way depending on the firearm.

For example, the two guns you mention have three very distinctly different trigger pulls: a long, heavy DA trigger (first shot on the Sig); a light, short trigger pull (second & subsequent on the Sig); and a long but light trigger pull (the Kahr). How you handle the trigger has a huge impact on your accuracy, and switching between these three systems is likely causing you some difficulty with both speed and accuracy -- or at least in accuracy at speed.

As an aside, I'm not a huge fan of DA/SA guns for self defense simply because most people never make the commitment to truly master the two different trigger pulls. But if you love the gun (and many people do love their Sigs!) then it's probably worth it to you to get good at it. And that means you're willing to put in the work to master that inconsistent trigger. Shooting it only in SA mode won't do the trick for you if it's about self defense, because you're almost certain to carry it in DA mode and you need to be sure your first shot goes where it needs to go.

Several others have pointed out that good fundamentals are good fundamentals regardless of what you shoot. And I agree! But it's also true that the best way to build those fundamentals is to first master one trigger and one manual of arms. Once that one system has been mastered, it becomes easy to transfer the skills. However, if you never really master one, you don't have the fundamental skills to transfer to others.

So my bottom line is, pick one and work it until you can shoot it fast & accurately and manipulate it well even when you're "not feeling well," even when you're under stress, even when the weather isn't quite right, even when you had a bad day at work, even when you're distracted. Once you've done that, you can take anything you want to the range for enjoyment's sake and have a blast -- the fundamental skill will be there for you.

pax

One more observation: you don't say so, but I'd lay money on the table that you're probably having a little problem with a flinch when shooting the PM9. That's something you can & probably should work out in dry fire at home. The little beast is a great carry gun but the slappy recoil can be a disincentive to shooting it well. Dry fire eliminates the aversive stimuli so you can progress in your basic skills.

pax

As an aside, I'm not a huge fan of DA/SA guns for self defense simply because most people never make the commitment to truly master the two different trigger pulls.

I submit that it is difficult if not impossible to master the DA/SA transition, during competitive or life and death stress, or when your body goes into autopilot.

It is my belief that while in autopilot the brain records how long and hard the trigger was to pull with the DA first shot and then attempts to apply that same formula to the much shorter and lighter trigger in SA mode.

One reason why the 1911 and Glocks are so popular in matches. My main reason for getting rid of my Beretta 92 was because of the DA/SA transition effect while shooting threegun matches. Caused a low high effect for me.

Back