practicing shooting - term - group?

True story - A fellow wheelgunner I shoot IDPA matches with was practicing with me at the range. At some point, the accuracy issue came up, and he confessed he read my 3@25 metric on a forum and thought I was blowing smoke. So with my gun and his, and my IDPA loads, I shot a pair of 2.5@25s for him.

But here's the cool part: I worked with him for about 5 minutes, then walked away while he shot a sub-3@25. Since he's never once shot under 6@25 or 5@25, he was blown away, saying "never in a million years" kind of stuff.

Granted, he's already worked hard to become a decent shooter, so only 5 minutes of instruction got him to 3@25. For him, it was mostly overcoming the mental block that 3@25 was unreasonable (because he'd never seen it done), so it was important for me to show him I wasn't blowing smoke, and it can be done.

The 3@25 metric may be good or it may be great. Who knows? Highesthand agrees 3@25 isn't pro, and I agree that 6@25 is still better than most. But 3@25 is achievable by most with some instruction, practice and a belief that it's do-able.

I have to step up my game then.

Before these two weeks I was shooting ~6@25.

I then decided to come onto the forums to ask the pros about some subtle nuances in stance and trigger pull.

I took their advice and hit 4@25 next time I went

then a 3.4@25 the following week :)

These were also stock rentals, as I don't own my own gun. I used a Beretta 92FS for this one:

Edit: The picture size was too big for this forum's ~240kb limit...

Last edited:
perspective

I was thinking a bit about accuracy and precision and this caused me to wonder what the elite shooters do. How precise are they? What are the records?
So....I looked up two.
The 50 yard slow fire record for the .45 course in NRA Conventional pistol is a clean 20X10 = 200 -11X.
(Xring is 1.7" dia. 10 ring is 3.4" dia.) Fired standing one hand unsupported.

Olympic Precision shooting - done with VERY specialized .22 "Free" pistols.
Also fired at 50 meters, standing one hand unsupported. Iron sights.
The WR is 583/600. In general terms that translates to 43X10 and 17X9.
(10 ring is 1.7" diameter. 9 ring is 3.4")

Not the kind of shooting that most of us do.
Pete

I don't follow the competition rules so I have no idea what those #'s mean, so correct me if I'm wrong.

You're telling me that olympic shooters shoot 60 shots, and about around 58 of them end up in a 1.7" diameter?

I don't know about the first one, what is 200-11x?

200-11X would mean that all 20 shots fell within the 3.4" 10 ring and 11 of those shots also fell within the 1.7" X ring.

For the Olympic competition, assuming all 10s and 9s, 583/600 would mean that there were 17 points down from the possible 600. In other words, 17 shots in the 3.4" 9 ring and the remaining 43 in the 1.7" 10 ring. In practice it could shake out a little differently with more 10s , fewer 9s and maybe an 8 or two, but you get the idea.

Back