Powell for VP with McCain?

Kragax

I read an interesting article this morning :

By Juan Williams
NPR Senior Correspondent/FOX News Political Contributor

As John McCain considers his options for a running mate the obvious choice is Colin Powell. So far, however, it appears not obvious to McCain or Powell.

Columnist Robert Novak’s column earlier this week suggested that Powell fits in with neo-conservatives who are angry with the failings of the Bush administration and rushing to join the Obama campaign. Novak proposes that Sen. Chuck Hagel and Powell, two military veterans and Republicans, are likely to join forces with Obama. As for Powell, Novak writes, “Powell likely will enter Obama’s camp at a time of his own choosing.”

I’d be surprised if Powell endorses Obama. One person very close to Powell put it to me this way on Thursday: “He and John are good friends.” But let’s take it a few steps up the ladder of political possibilities. Why not a McCain-Powell ticket?

With Powell on the GOP ticket McCain’s standing with independent voters will go from a slight lead to a widening, awe-inspiring gap. With that one step he can erase the three to six point lead that Obama holds in most polls.

Powell is a more experienced version of Obama. He is also a proven American military hero. And to paraphrase Obama from his recent prediction that his opponents will make an issue of his race, did I mention that Powell is black.

Powell will magnify the risk factor associated with Obama and give the independent voters comfort in knowing they can make history without the anxiety of handing the keys to the White House over to a young unknown.

A recent USA Today poll had Obama up by 6 points but among Independent voters Obama held a 12 point lead. In a recent L.A. Times poll, Obama leads by 12 points but when Ralph Nader and Bob Barr are factored in the Obama lead widens to 15 points. The difference there is independent voters leaving McCain. But those independents can be recaptured and in fact they are looking to McCain to make his case to them. Right now, according to the Times poll, 54 percent of independent voters said Obama is too inexperienced. When independent voters are asked who has the right experience to be the next President the independent voters favored McCain 47 percent to 27 percent for Obama. McCain needs to focus on those independent voters and he can do that by naming Powell as his running mate.

It is true that hard core Republicans have a history of being ambivalent about Powell. But what too often gets lost in that calculation is that Powell is a tremendous asset to the Republican Party and to McCain. Yes, he is pro-choice on abortion. Yes, he supports affirmative action. And yes, he is a man who has been quoted as saying he is at best “55 percent Republican.”

But Powell is a winner with the American public, rated among the most respected leaders in the nation. Before the 1996 Presidential race the one Republican that scared Bill Clinton was none other than Colin Powell. According to a recent biography, Soldier – The Life of Colin Powell,” by Karen DeYoung, President Clinton worried openly that Powell was capable of capturing black voters and independent voters. “He’ll beat me bad,” Clinton is quoted as saying. But the hard right of the party kept Powell from getting to the starting line. So, too, did Powell’s wife, who was worried about Powell’s personal safety.

Now, the Republican Party is in the re-tooling business. They have to recreate the brand. That is why John McCain was the best possible nominee for this presidential race. The maverick McCain is out-performing the 15 to 20 point spread that a generic Democratic candidate for the White House holds over a generic Republican for the White House. McCain is both a Republican and not a Republican; he is the maverick Republican.

With Powell by his side, McCain further moves away from the damaged brand of GOP politics and captures the energy surrounding the idea of pragmatic, bi-partisan political actors with a history of achievement and knowledge of world affairs.

With Powell on the ticket, McCain becomes the favorite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powell is a more experienced version of Obama.

What a stupid comparison...why?...because he is African American?

Powell was an Army general and diplomat. Obama is a college professor, politician and senator.

What a stupid comparison...why?...because he is African American?

Oh please. Race, race , race,

I don't understand why Powell didn't run at the height of his popularity. If he didn't want in to it then, I don't see why he would want in to it now.

It was a missed opportunity. I would have voted for him. He would certainly been better than Bush, although that's not much of a hurdle.

Uh, hello...it is why this editorial is even suggesting Colin Powell be McCain's choice for VP.

Last edited:
No doubt. But, Powell would be impressive if he was purple. So would Obama for that matter but for different reasons.
Powell actually transcends race, Obama pretends to at his convenience.

I would take one Colin Powell over a dozen Obamas any day of the week. If Powell would gain some votes from black racist, so be it.

I think Powell would be an excellent choice. I also seem to recall that he has always said he would decline any invitation to be a candidate. My recollection is that he takes that position largely because his wife is not at all in favor of him running for office.

IF he'd accept the invitation to be on the ticket with McCain I think he'd be a very good choice and would enhance the ticket. He has very good credentials in foreign policy, in spite of the fact that he was 'fed' bad information on Iraq and acted accordingly.

At this stage of the game I think McCain still has a slim chance to win, if he picks another liberal as his running mate his chances will become even slimmer.

He has publicly said his wife is scarred of him running for public office.

IIRC, this comes out of a dream she had where General Powell was lying in state in the White House, with the implication being that he was assassinated after taking office. As a result she REALLY does not want him to run for President, and he is honoring her wishes. I would imagine this extends to the VP slot as well.

I have great respect for Gen. Powell, especially as history has shown him to be dead on correct in regards to Iraq. However, I don't know if he has ever gone fully on record with the full extent of his political views. I am hesitant to support someone who has not done so, especially when I have differing opinions in areas where that person has done so.

I think Powell would be good. I also think he wouldn't consider it. Somebody that would be better and I think would guarantee a McCain victory would be Condoleeza Rice. I'd rather see her as president than vp but she's already said she didn't want to run for president so it isn't likely she'd consider vp either

I think Powell would be good. I also think he wouldn't consider it.

I concur. I think his time in the saddle with the Bush Fun House has caused him to forgo a political career. That's a shame too, I think the man could be a great VP.

Last edited:
His recient experience with the Iraq fiasco probably rides in his memory every day.

Given how he was doubled shifted over Iraq I doubt he would ever put himself into the target zone [being double guessed on every decision] again.

Had he run eight years ago I think the world would be quite different than it is today.

what is Powells stance on all the issues? besides foreign policy and commander in chief, what would make him a great president?

I doubt Powell would do it after he was thrown under the bus and became the scapegoat for the false evidence to get the Iraq war authorised. There some questions over if he will even vote Republican this year, so he not going to be asked on the ticket. Shame that his career was sullied.

Somebody that would be better and I think would guarantee a McCain victory would be Condoleeza Rice. I'd rather see her as president than vp but she's already said she didn't want to run for president so it isn't likely she'd consider vp either

I'd like to see Rice either as VP or POTUS too, but the problem is she has too much Bush administration stench clinging to her that would prevent her from winning.

She'd need a couple election cycles just to air out and let the sheeple forget.

Back