Powders Easiest on Lead Bullets

What Unclenick said. The only revolvers I've had that leaded like crazy and would not shoot good groups were a 45 Blackhawk and a S&W 44 Special, both were .003 to .004 oversize in the forcing cones. Would lead terribly even with Lino. I shoot Lino bullets wide open in .357 and .44 Mag with little to no leading.

I just received back a S&W Model 25-5 cylinder that I sent to Doug Phillips to have the cylinder throats honed out. On this cylinder a .451" jacketed bullet would not pass thru the throats. He honed them out to .4535" and now all is well. I shoot cast bullets that I cast with all my handguns.

Don

Leading in the barrel has nothing to do with the powder or "matching bullet sizing to cylinder throats." It's caused by trying to drive a cast bullet too fast. With there being no formula for telling how fast that is.
"...flame temps..." That isn't a criteria for reloading. Highly unlikely to ever be measured by any powder maker either.
Hodgdon shows lots of cast bullet data(Lil gun is not suggested for cast bullets at all) for all three. So does Alliant.
Your post does not come close to what I have experienced. I have driven some strong 44 mag loads using cast bullets with H110 with no leading problems; excellent hunting ammunition. I prefer cast bullets with handgun hunting...they make excellent holes, break bones etc. and there really is no need to expand a .430 or.451 bullet...they are big enough.

I am loading for 41 and 44 magnums and 45 Colts.

• In the velocity range of 1,000 to 1,150 fps, which powders are easiest on plain based lead bullets?
• Which powders have the lowest flame temps and cause the least amount of leading in the barrel?

I know that matching bullet sizing to cylinder throats is the best way to limit leading, but want to understand more about powder effects as well. THANK YOU

For the calibers you list I have had excellent results using HS 6, AA 5, 7, and 9. They all meter wonderful and give top end performance up into the true magnum loads.

I pour my own and have found that a BHN of between 12 and 14 does great. I load for calibers ranging from 9mm up through 454 Casull and don't use anything harder than air cooled wheel weights. My velocities run anywhere from a low end 825fps 45acp, up to over 1600 with some plain based 280gr solids in the 454.

As some will attest, loading cast is usually a balancing act where you try to match the alloy, lube, size, and pressure. You can usually get by fudging on one but not by much. The size and lube are really the top considerations. It has been said size is king and lube is queen.

There has been a mountain of information about the proper ways for shooting cast bullets. One of the best laid out compilations can be found here LASC Article Index Glen Fryxell has put down a ton of information and is very knowledgeable about just about every aspect to make it all come together.

I highly suggest spending a little time reading through
some of the topics there and even downloading Glens PDF book.

HS-6, Accurate #5 (AA#5 or A#5) , True Blue , Unique , 231, Green Dot could all be used but the best choice is probably Unique . Lots of loading data around and suitable for loads around 1,000 fps. Accurate #5 might also be a contender .
If you don't already have one grab a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition and if you go to Western Powder's web site they have Western & Accurate Powders data and for $2.00 they will send you a Reloading and Load Data Guide edition 6.0 is recenly updated and expanded ... a lot of good info in this for two bucks !
Gary

My go to powder for my .41 mag for the last 35 years has been Green Dot. Anywhere from 8-8.2 gr makes a nice load. I’ve also played with Red Dot with similar results but since I have a good amount of Green Dot on my shelf I just stick with it. I can’t vouch for the velocity, but its an accurate load that shoots clean with manageable recoil. I’ve only messed with Unique a little and didn’t care for it. The recoil felt too snappy compared to Green Dot and my gun was very dirty, so I didn’t see any good reason to switch.

Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Leading in the barrel has nothing to do with the powder or "matching bullet sizing to cylinder throats." It's caused by trying to drive a cast bullet too fast. With there being no formula for telling how fast that is.

Horse hockey! I've run lead bullets at #8 on the BHN scale to 1200 FPS with no leading and they're very accurate from two .357 Mag, Revolvers. A ttribute that to the fact the the bullets were properly sized for the guns,

"...flame temps..." That isn't a criteria for reloading. Highly unlikely to ever be measured by any powder maker either.

I don't agree with that either. If the bullet is just borderline small enough the flame, heat and pressure will combine to blow lead of the bullet and coat the barrel.

Hodgdon shows lots of cast bullet data(Lil gun is not suggested for cast bullets at all) for all three. So does Alliant.

I've never used Lil gun so won't comment on if or how it may work with cast bullets. I've use Bullseye, Unique, W295/H110 for handguns, Unique, 5744, SR4759 and H4895 for most cast bullet rifle loads. They've always worked so saw no need to look elsewhere.

Paul B.

Back