Powdercoating rifle bullets. My attempt.

Skizzums, if you want to know what your bullet weighs, so you can look up load data for it, cut one in half and weigh the pieces.

whats the fastest speed youve seen coated bullets being pushed(with success)? i am consdering buying a 224 mold because i cant stand how much places charge for 55gr bullets, but the fact that i dont see xtreme or others selling plated 224 makes me think that coating prolly wont work either

Got my 1st batch done today. Finally
I think they came out ok. I think I still have some learning to do with the gun. I may have gotten it on kinda thick.
I also noticed with the Oven that I pre heated to 400 deg. But as soon as I put the pan O boolits in it dropped to 350 deg. Seemed to take quite a while to get back up to 400 deg.
All in all not to shabby for a 1st run.
Not doing it in my loading room again though. Out to the shop this procedure goes.

101_9109_zpsd168acd8.jpg

After the cooking

101_9112_zpsb0cd7752.jpg

101_9113_zps38046205.jpg

I like em! :) I really do agree the gas check should be left uncoated. But that's just my opinion.

I have seen some of the dry tumble coaters are coating the whole thing.
I haven't tried that.

I have 50 of these bullets using standard lube ( BAC) loaded up. I will load up some of these with the same loads and will do a head to head comparison.
I will also load up a bunch zipped up a bit with H335 and see what they can do.
Hope it warms up soon.

Testing

Today I tried the powdercoating against Carnauba Red lube.

The .45LC wasn't very noticeable, only 4 fps difference in the average of 12 rounds of each, with the CR lubed being the 4fps faster. I guess maybe the slow (750fps) SAA loads aren't that heavily influenced, with them being such a heavy bullet?

But the .357 was 44 fps faster (again, 12 rounds each) with lube than PC. I was getting 1354 with CR lube and 1310 with PC.

That isn't a lot of difference.:)

And I cleaned the gun between tests, so there was no lube influence left when I shot the PC. I selected all same-weight bullets and kept powder charges exact, and also used the same die immediately in succession to ensure the same crimp.

as you know, i black-mailed beagle for a few of his PCd bullets(pics of him in compromising positions work well), i tried to give them an honest full on test
i have only tested the 135gr HPs sized at 358
my first test was out of a 357 taurus poly protector, all shot accurately with very little smoke, was pushing about 950fps, i did get leading, was slightly disappointed because the leading was signifigant

so, if it failed at 950, what do i do next? i sized a 100 down to 356 and loaded them into 9x19 pushing 1150FPS!!:eek:

i shot all 100 back to back, again, minimal smoke, probably no smoke f i used the gas-checked ones, i didnt have high hopes, BUT WAIT!!! whats this

not a single smear, speck of lead, nothing, clean as new!!!:D
and i was shooting FAST(jerry fast)

i did slug the barrel of the new cz clone that these were shot from and it sized at exactly 3555, so i am sure that helped, have not slugged the bore of the cheap taurus the first test was from

so 9x19 at 1150 WIN!!!!!
38spl at 950 FAIL!!! but the taurus always leads everything, i presume it has a pretty sloppy bore

Testing

So when you all are doing your comparisons, are you shooting for accuracy as well or what?

I only bring this up as I did a similar test when I first started out with my 454. I loaded up 50 rounds in one batch, 25 rounds lubed with Felix and 25 lubed with 45/45/10, all air cooled wheel weight alloy.

I also loaded up another 50 rounds, just like the above but these were all water quenched. The powder charges were all the same for both batches, as was the brass and primers. All new Starline cases.

What I found was that my revolver doesn't like water quenched nor did it like Felix lube.

I also loaded up 25 each with a charge of WC-297, (surplus powder), and 25 each with AA-9. These were also done exactly like above using both type bullets and lubes. Again I found that the air cooled wheel weight lubed with 45/45/10 was tops and the powder charge didn't make a hill of beans difference.

Below are the results of two targets both shot at 25yds standing with no rest and a two hand hold. Everything outside the bulls were water quenched, and/or the lube was Felix lube. I'm not saying it isn't a good lube, just that it isn't good for this revolver.

Attachments

• P1010248.JPG
    P1010248.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 399
  • P1010245.JPG
    P1010245.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 270
i was not gong for accuracy today, just testing the durability and functionality of PCing, i was curious if its a viable alternative to lube, right now im stuck in the middle and need more testing

but, they were very accuracte, i had a great shoot today, but didnt do any bench or bag tests, but off hand i did better than i usually do, which i will admit was the new gun, if anyone wants a freakin sweet budget gun, this is the holy grail of cheap pistols, i shot like a rock star today

Wow, that was some soft alloy too. Good to know it'll shoot in a 9.
I bet there are 100 nice mushrooms somewhere behind your target! :)

somewhere, i actually went to a range today or the first time in a year, was just eager to shoot thhis gun, it was still outdoors though, so my indoor range boycott still stands

Back