Powdercoat testing.....

I loaded em up today with 6.5gr Unique and shot em outta my 6" GP-100, and according to my shiny new Chrony (which I did not shoot, all day!:D), they were running an average of 1008 fps. This is faster than I normally shoot, as my usual backyard load is 6.0 grains of Unique. But with no leading after 40 shots, I'm claiming a success. Then I shot some of the plain base, and saw no difference in the leading, or the accuracy. Other than some Unique dust in there (as always), it was clean. (I don't have a good way to take a pic of a bore).
I think next time I shall pour up some pure lead and see if it will get up to at least 900 or maybe 1000. I'd be tickled if I could shoot pure lead HPs at 900 fps with no lube!:) They wouldn't need to go any faster.

But they look good loaded.
fired001_zps12353cd0.jpg

Sounds like you were just looking to see if the coating would prevent leading. Do you know what distance and what kind of group you were getting?

That pretty much is correct. I really was trying not to shoot my chrony. :cool:
But I was not unhappy with the groups. I was only at 30 feet. I don't shoot any appreciable distance with any of my pistols. Most of the time, I'm trying to put 6 in a playing card at 21 feet. :D Today was to see if I could use the coating without worry.... now I'll play with loads and alloy.

I started running out of some colors. Now I'm just mixing the leftovers. Seems to work just as well. :D (MP45-225 and Accurate 36-162V) These are still unsized yet.... so they're running about .004 over right now, half of that is coating, the other half is just 'cause these two molds drop .002 over.
MP45-225006_zpse7938107.jpg

MP45-225005_zps85993bde.jpg

MP45-225001_zps427c40cc.jpg

Back