powder throwers

Harrells' when price is no object (I have two/used constantly)
Add to that positive/easily-repeatable micrometer settings for different powers/loads

post: I also have a 50-year old Redding... in the closet ;)

Last edited:
I've been using the RCBS Uniflow for the past 50 years or so. Works fine for me.

Accuracy depends on the uniformity of user, understanding the right way to operate it, and that the markings are just general, not exactly what the measure throws with every different powder possible.

If I need charge weight accuracy down to a tenth of a grain, I'm weighing each charge anyway.

I like my RCBS Chargemaster Combo. It weighs each charge, and tells me if it goes over. Charge the case and it auto repeats. I like the Lyman 55 and use the Lee PPM and use them sometimes, but they do not incorporate weighing each charge in front of me.

Last edited:
Since I started loading 22lr I needed a precision scale with .01 grain accuracy. Because I'm a bit of an OCD type, I use it for all my charge loading now--for bigger cartridges I'll start with a conventional RCBS chargemaster powder dispenser to within a half grain and finish the load on the scale with hand-trickling. Probably a waste of time; simply makes me feel better.;)

Last edited:
NHSHOOTER,

For stick powders, hands down, my choice is the JDS Quick Measure. It is a bit odd to adjust and takes getting get used to, but they guarantee stick powder charges within 0.2 grains, and I've never seen mine go outside that limit, and it usually stays within 0.1 grains as long as it is firmly mounted. The only thing that will throw weight more precisely is an electronic dispensing unit, but anytime I've found a good load, it has proven insensitive to a couple of tenths of a grain of variation. I only weigh during load development.

It’s real simple. Powder dispensers are the only way to “throw” stick powders. I’m no expert, but I would guess factory ammo is all dispensed over a scale, when using stick powders.

I used a Uniflow for 40 years. Upgraded to an RCBS ChargeMaster a couple of years ago and sorry I didn't do it sooner. Fabulous piece of gear.

Being a dinosaur (or at least an Ice Age mammal) all my reloading gear is capable of being fully functional without electricity.

I'm "green" that way...:rolleyes:

Being a dinosaur (or at least an Ice Age mammal) all my reloading gear is capable of being fully functional without electricity.
Oh yeah?

I mine sulfer, charcoal and salt peter.

in the snow.
In the dark.
barefoot.

then measure them out and grind them down with mammoth bones.

beat that!:D

Look at the many reloading forums, then pick the thrower/measure that no one
has problems with.

One of the measure's that people do not ask about is Lyman 55. they just work!

I have one. When I was shooting BR we loaded at the match and when I quit shooting BR I use it for my varmint rifles. It's over 40yrs old. My RCBS is over 50yrs old. I have adapter for RCBS and I use same drop tubes in both.

Uhhh...I have one; mine kinda sorta worked well as long as you are scrupulous about cleaning them well, I found that residue tended to get into the measuring system (sometimes acted as a grinder as you turn the crank) stem and knock it out of whack. Too much friggin with the riggin for my tastes.

I have a Lyman 55 and find it to be accurate.

What is interesting to me is that my Lee disc powder measures are equally as accurate. I used to measure the weight of every 5th charge to see how it was doing. It was very monotonous. I have been using the Lee powder measures for maybe 40 years.

I'll join you around the camp fire :) . No electrical gear here either for reloading... Though I do somethings think of 'static' electricity ;) at times.

I have a Hornady powder measure that seems to work great. Been in use since around 1981-82. Never found a reason to 'change'. Not much help as this is all I have :) .

Back