Powder prices . . . .

i know they say leave powder in original containers

There's a guy on our local gun forum who is advertising for sale loose powder from open containers that he admits is quite old. Unique and Red Dot.

$30/pound, which he will weigh out and put in buyer's container. He says he thinks it's ok because it smells ok.

What's next? "For sale. Primers. Good condition. Only used once."

I hope this drought gets resolved sooner, rather than later.

Standing in the parking lot in line for an hour before your LGS opens in hopes of finding powder or ammo only to find bare shelves ? Yea, screw that. As i've preached many times, I learned my panful lesson back in 2012 about unpreparedness and took action

Last edited:
Bruno's Shooters Supply in North Phoenix gets powder in some times and will ship, but he charges DEAR for the stuff - my best friend bought me some X-Terminator there a month ago, $40 a pound!

i,m set with powders 90-95 lbs and 20,000-25,000 primers stored in a old upright non working freezer. bullets and cases stored in .50 cal ammo cans. i shoot alot of shotgun shells at the clays games and have two mec 9000 press for the reloads, but i still can buy federal-estate four box packs for 22-23 dollars and at that price i buy two whenever i go to walmart.

eastbank, funny you should mention that. I find shotgun shell prices at local Cabelas have been the same or less per box than I can load them, and my hull cost is zero. The price of shot and powder are the killers since I have primers from long ago when they were really low cost at 1 to 1.5 cents apiece.

I find shotgun shell prices at local Cabelas have been the same or less per box than I can load them, and my hull cost is zero.

I can load my trap loads for $4.25 or $4.50 per box, depending upon whether I am loading 7/8 or 1 oz. loads. Even if I could buy store bought shells for that price, and I can't, the quality of the hull and shot I use is far superior to the low cost store bought shells.

Don

things are coming around a bit it seems, yesterday MidSouth had a bunch of powders up. Probably gone by now but there was quite a selection for a few hours. Creedmoor shipped some .22LR that I ordered 3 months back, so I am hoping the worst is in the rear view mirror.

I too am set with powder and bullets and cases. But primers have disappeared. I just listed on Craigslist for a swap 1000 of my large rifle primers for large pistols primers. Maybe barter will work.

I too am set with powder and bullets and cases. But primers have disappeared. I just listed on Craigslist for a swap 1000 of my large rifle primers for large pistols primers. Maybe barter will work.
I did the same thing as Chris in that I needed projectiles but I had way more primers than I needed so I traded 8400 SPP for 8400 lead 9mm 115 & 135 gr coated from Gallant and Blue bullets.

Bill

One pound of 231 will load something like 1400 rounds of 9mm and maybe 1100 rounds of 45. I think for most seasoned reloaders it's bullets and primers that are the limiting resources.

If it interests anyone, The American Rifleman (March 2021) has a column and an article on the ammo shortage. It's entirely demand-driven and despite running plants 24/7, the makers can't keep up.

One pound of 231 will load something like 1400 rounds of 9mm and maybe 1100 rounds of 45. I think for most seasoned reloaders it's bullets and primers that are the limiting resources.

Bullets are readily available, even with a wait; primers are the bottleneck for many.

Bullets are readily available

That's a tad misleading , although I literally just bought 45acp and 44spl bullets a few minutes ago . I did not have a big variety to choose from and just got what I could at double the price I remember last time I bought some . So yes bullets are around but over priced and often not the bullets you want either type or weight . I really don't feel like working up new loads for some random bullet I know once things get anywhere near normal I'll never buy again .

I will say today was the first time I looked for any reloading components in several months . I was surprised how little was out there of what I was looking for . I knew it was bad but didn't realize how bad . Last time I looked , maybe Aug/Sept of last year there was still some good powders and a good bit of bullets . Today I was lucky to get past the first 4 items on the first page before all the out of stock signs showed up . A few months ago you could at least get through a couple pages of instock items .

I was concerned about the availability of components coming back any time soon . I'm now terrified we wont see anything for several years . I'm gtg for several years likely but I'm not "that" good to go ? That gtg belief is based on being able to stock back up in the next few years . If this shortage last another year+ IDK . I may have thousands of everything but if I can't replenish it/them , I'm not going to be shooting them much . I've already scaled down my shooting that uses anything standard small pistol primers . Semi auto in general will likely be next , I'll be a revolver , bolt gun and 22lr plinker only shooter before to long .

I bought 8# of 231 several months ago for about 175.00, 8# of Green Dot a couple months ago for about 180.00. GD is my go to shotgun powder and can also be used for pistol. 231 is a pretty good powder for most handgun loads, not my fav but it will work. I'm good til I run out of primers.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/getti...keless propellants intended,or at least 1-inc.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

that being said

gas has went up 50 cents a gallon since January, beer $2.00 a case. 2020 may be looked back upon as the good old days

Last edited:
I stocked up on powders and primers over the last several years and I cast my own bullets but, Dang, forgot to stock up on beer.:eek:

Don

Well I was just surprised on a bullet price so I bought 1K of them . 69gr smk 500ct for $120 . It's not as cheap as they once were but in todays market , not to bad .

So that's a few thousand bullets I've bought in the last couple days . Now all's I need is some SP primers to fall into my lap and I'll be just about as tickled as can be haha .

Back