Powder prices . . . .

Prof Young

Okay, I know that it's nearly impossible to buy powder at this time. I was curious to see if I could find anything on line and did an internet search for Reloader 15. No one has any, of course, but it was a real education in the variations of prices. The price for a 5 pound can varied as much as $45. Wow. Who knew. When it all comes back I'm going to have to comparison shop a bit more than I used to.

Life is good.

I just emptied an 8-lb container of Hodgdon H-110 that I bought in September 2001. The price was $96, which translates to $12/lb. I have a one-pound container that I recently bought at the price of $26.24, which equals $209.92/8-lb, but I'm sure it would be slightly less in a bulk purchase.

In any event, I checked on inflation rates from 2001 to 2020, and $100 of goods in 2001 will cost $147 in 2020.

So powder prices -at least where I purchased them - have exceeded the rate of inflation by about 142.8%.

Prices are going up. The shop I usually buy from went from $32 to $45 per 1lb for RL19.... He's a good guy uses a set markup. His prices only go up when stuff costs him more to buy. Been going there for years, great little shop. I'm guessing the price variation you are seeing is current prices, vs prices that have not been updated yet.

I just emptied an 8-lb container of Hodgdon H-110 that I bought in September 2001. The price was $96, which translates to $12/lb. I have a one-pound container that I recently bought at the price of $26.24, which equals $209.92/8-lb, but I'm sure it would be slightly less in a bulk purchase.

Your latest buy is $26.24 a pound. Previous was $12 a pound.

Jumping across to 8 lbs confused the data.

Its also invalid as 1 lb sold costs more than breaking it out from 8 lbs of bulk.

8 lbs of powder up here is $249, $31 a lb but you pay $34-36 for a single.

Its all gone up. 2001 was like 20 years ago. Everything but gas has gone up! (well mortgage rates are lower than I ever thought they wold be in a million years to)

I am sitting on an 8lb jug of powder for which I have no use. It is in very high demand but out of stock everywhere. I would ideally like to trade for components I need that are equally scarce. The lowest BIN on GB fluctuates between $500 & $700, but every few weeks an online retailer gets a shipment that sells out in minutes. For those few minutes, the market price of what I have drops to around $225 plus Hazmat and S&H. As soon as it sells out, the price jumps to stupid levels again.

Somewhere, someone has the components I need in amounts they consider surplus but really needs what I have. If we ever cross paths, we'll both walk away happy. Until then, the value of the items priced in dollars is a roller coaster ride.

I think primers and powder will start becoming available again once the US population has stockpiled the equivalent of 5 times the ammunition used in all of World War 2.

I think primers and powder will start becoming available again once the US population has stockpiled the equivalent of 5 times the ammunition used in all of World War 2.

Nope. Then we go for 10 times.:D

Don

I bought a 4 pound jug of Vhita Vhouri N310 a few years ago for about $100. Ended up not using it so I checked what it sells for now. $296. Unbelievable. I told a friend I had it and he wanted it so I sold it for the $100 I had invested.

Same here I bought a pound about a month ago for 34.95 for RL-19 went back to check it again and it is now 44.95 a pound

I bought two 8# jugs of H-335 for $170 each and some CFE-Pistol for $26 per pound back in July 2020 . Have no idea what they would go for now but would expect at least 20 to 30% more now . Now that I think about it I bought several pounds of AR-comp and 8208xbr maybe in may of 2020 and they were $28-ish a pound . Not sure current prices on those would matter much cus you ain't finding those any time soon . Speaking of that basic premise , my guess is the popular powders ( varget , H-4350 , H-4895 and a few pistol powders ) will stay pretty pricy for awhile even after more availability comes about just based on demand .

I also would think all the people that got caught flat footed in this shortage will be buying a lot as soon as what ever it is they need comes back . This leads me to think this shortage will last quite a bit longer . Like SPP will fly off the selves just as fast as they can be stocked for awhile . I know I'll be buying some as soon as I can .

This leads me to think this shortage will last quite a bit longer

Ya think?

Seriously, a mod on The High Road started a thread: Millions of new gun owners/thousands of new THR members

Overnight, the number of (gun and ammo buying) consumers doubled. Maybe tripled.

Good for manufacturers. Bad for dedicated lifetime shooters who were caught flat footed. And it's not going to get appreciably better in the foreseeable future. With the way the political winds blow in DC, these could be the good days.

Not powder, but as of a couple weeks ago Missouri Bullet Company has a 12-14 week waiting period. They're busy, and have reduced their options to maximize production.

They're probably nervous on account of the scarcity of primers and powder.

Not powder, but as of a couple weeks ago Missouri Bullet Company has a 12-14 week waiting period. They're busy, and have reduced their options to maximize production.

They're probably nervous on account of the scarcity of primers and powder.
try Brazos bullets. only backordered 2-4 weeks. Great prices. They are softer generally than missouri, but use the same coating. Have not had a problem out of any of them so far....

RC20 said: “Jumping across to 8 lbs confused the data.

Its also invalid as 1 lb sold costs more than breaking it out from 8 lbs of bulk.”

It’s not a big issue, but I did address that:
“….I recently bought at the price of $26.24, which equals $209.92/8-lb, but I'm sure it would be slightly less in a bulk purchase.”

"try Brazos bullets. only backordered 2-4 weeks."

I already ordered with MBC, but I'll make a note about Brazos just in case. Thanks.

I got really lucky when I bought my last 8lb jug of BE-86. I got it for $135.00 and that was just last fall.
When I went out the door, I ran like I stole it.

i know they say leave powder in original containers but I keep some of the smaller 1 pounder hodgedon containers and relabel them so I store powder with the least amount of air space in approved powder containers.

If you need or want it now, you either pay the elevated cost or don't. In this current atmosphere if you don't buy it someone else will and quickly regardless of current cost. I could care less about wasting time looping at the LGS's every few weeks, and spending countless hours scanning all the Midway's / Brownells / Powder Valley / Grafs hoping to find a pound of powder for $20. You won't . What you should have done is buy extra surplus back in 2017 - 2018 when powder WAS $25 / lb at the LGS's and the shelves were overstocked with everything...

What you should have done is buy extra surplus back in 2017 - 2018 when powder WAS $25 / lb at the LGS's and the shelves were overstocked with everything...

Yes indeed. Hopefully the current situation will stick in the mind of some guys and they won't get caught with their pants down again.

Don

Yes indeed. Hopefully the current situation will stick in the mind of some guys and they won't get caught with their pants down again.

Don
Didn't get completely caught unawares, but I sure don't have as much as I wish I did. Still, it is burned into my memory. If things come back I'm going to start working on my lifetime supply, instead of just the next couple years worth.

Back