Powder measure

No, mine are not hinged. The top slides open. It also has storage for caps in the bottom.

I know the description says hinged, but there's no 'hinge' on it, in the sense of a door hinge. The funnel is pinned to the barrel and swivels/slides out of/into the way; the pin is the hinge.

It does not have a cap storage compartment, however.

I know the description says hinged, but there's no 'hinge' on it,

I used the wrong terminology but you can see from the pics how mine works. Slide the funnel over and fill. Slide it back and it levels the charge and is ready for loading. The funnel makes for easy loading of a bp revolver too.

powder charge in brass will be dependent on the wall thickness of the case, Lake City cases hold 72gr. 3F which is my load for my .50 cap-lock hunting. plinkin/camp out load I use the 7.62R case which is 65 gr. 3F. saves a little powder.

.45ACP case will load 28gr. FFFG charge which is what I use in a pinch when I forget my measure at home "close enough to 30gr. to get the .457 Ball down range to the spot."

Raider,,,thanks, that is exactly what I need! I have plenty of 45acp cases...about 10,000!

So, that will be fine for the 44..what about the 36 cal 1851? maybe a 40sw case?

bugaiho said:
Raider,,,thanks, that is exactly what I need! I have plenty of 45acp cases...about 10,000!

So, that will be fine for the 44..what about the 36 cal 1851? maybe a 40sw case?

No probs, just use the nozzle of the flask to scrape the charge level & you're good to go.

As far as a smaller caliber, I can't help ya right yet till tomorow because all Moma's 9mm cases have been reloaded & I have a .45ACP, .44-40, .41 Magnum, & then bigger.
Maybe I can get a case from one of the guys tomorow at the range.

OK.
.45ACP = 28gr. FFFG Goex
.40 S&W = 20gr. FFFG Goex
9mm = 14gr. FFFG Goex

Hope this helps till you can get your self a good powder measure for the field.

I went with this anyway...shipped it is about $10.91 (so I broke my vow of not spending any money, but I wanted to shoot these guns)

Thompson Center Field Powder measure, Part # 7152.
Compact lightweight powder measure with solid brass cup and durable polymer adjusting sleeve marked in 10 grain increments from 20 to 120 grains. Brass locking setscrew can be locked into infinite positions at graduated marks or between them.

Back