Powder and Primers

USAF Ret

In need of the following and can't find them on the big sites store and the ones in stock look like scams.

H4350 Powder
FED 210 Primers

In California we have a gun forum called calguns. People buy, sell and trade a lot of things, including powder and primers. Do you have something similar where you are?

Nowadays we need to learn to impovise. Instead of the exact make and model, look for something close and make it work. I have learned a lot going through several lean years. Without those I am probably still using varget and nothing else.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I havent aeen h4350 or varget in over a year, unless your willing to pay the stupid prices on gunbroker.

Had ok luck checking brownells and midway every few days for primers. They just sell out fast when they come in. Gotta check regularly.

In California we have a gun forum called calguns. People buy, sell and trade a lot of things, including powder and primers. Do you have something similar where you are?

Nowadays we need to learn to impovise. Instead of the exact make and model, look for something close and make it work. I have learned a lot going through several lean years. Without those I am probably still using varget and nothing else.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Louisiana has Bayou Shooter ... members in the state can buy and sell face to face and arrange pick-up's to avoid shipping and hazemat fee's .
I'm sure just about every state has a site where this can be done .
Bayou Shooter has other Forem Topic's but there is a lot of buying / selling / trading that happens through the site .
Gary

Thanks everyone. I will follow up on all suggestions. Probably should have been looking the entire time, but was focused on getting equipment. I just need to look at load data and search for any powder that is recommended.

H4350 has actually been one of the easier ones to find--powder valley often has some--as well as some of the other "biggies." I think you can even get it directly from Hodgdon.

Primers is another matter. Be prepared to get raked over the coals.

Many online sellers allow a "notify me" or "subscribe" by which they will e-mail you when your selected product comes in stock. I use mostly Midway and Powder Valley, and have had some success with this. But act fast is an understatement. For example, twice PV has notified me of Reloder 17 in stock. Responded immediately, but not fast enough. However, I did score 5 lb. of Reloder 22, to be delivered today. The major sites are not gouging on powder and shot, but primers...fuhgetaboutit.

Well, after seeing the hazard fee charged on shipping, I will not be buying online. Luckily, got a buddy in VA that just grabbed me some Accurate 4350 and a place about 45 minutes from here has H4350 in stock. Enough to get me started. Now to find primers.

Thanks everyone!

Primers - So, the load data I have calls for Winchester WLR, WSR, Federal 210M and REM 7 1/2. I know folks are using other primer brands. Are there substitutes for these that are more readily available?

Loading for 308, 270, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel and 30-30.

Last edited:
When you find published data from anywhere, the primer is listed because it is relevant to the entire report -- much like the length of barrel is listed and often the ambient temperature is listed. However you do NOT have to use the specific primer they have used.

If you can find the proper size rifle primer (and you use proper and safe procedures loading well under max to start...) then any rifle primer should be perfectly fine.

So your search should include any large rifle primer, and whatever you find is where you start.

If you absolutely positively cannot find any primers at any price -- you can and you will find some at a gun show. But bring lubricant and painkillers. :eek:

When you find published data from anywhere, the primer is listed because it is relevant to the entire report -- much like the length of barrel is listed and often the ambient temperature is listed. However you do NOT have to use the specific primer they have used.

If you can find the proper size rifle primer (and you use proper and safe procedures loading well under max to start...) then any rifle primer should be perfectly fine.

So your search should include any large rifle primer, and whatever you find is where you start.

If you absolutely positively cannot find any primers at any price -- you can and you will find some at a gun show. But bring lubricant and painkillers. :eek:
Haha. Anything at Gun Shows you need lube.

So, I can use regular large rifle primers for all (even the 6.5 Grendel?), but might not get the best results if I am not using the recommended primers. Correct?

Primer brands

You buy what brand is available in the size you need. I use small pistol primers interchangeably. The brand is almost irrelevant in today's tight primer market. I just received Aguila SPPs from https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ $85, and if they go bang, I will be happy. I am not aware of any load data for Aguila primers
Your results will only vary very slightly, and it is doubtful you would notice, unless you are shooting 1" groups at 200 yards.

Attachments

• Aguila box.jpg
    Aguila box.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 35
  • Aguila Primers.jpg
    Aguila Primers.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Well I've never loaded 6.5 Grendel... a quick search says that it uses a small rifle primer so no... ya cannot use a large rifle primer there.

However for your .308, .270, other ones that use LP then yes, use ANY that you find. What's important is not which brand of primer, it's that you follow safe practices and procedures. This means that you start well under published max -- 10% under max is a good place, and you work towards your goal.

When you've found your goal, you're good. Now when you run out of primers, you can buy whatever you find. However safe practice and procedure demands that you start your load work-up over again.

It's not safe to insert some new primer in a load that you developed with another primer.

There is no reason to suspect that you cannot build a load just as good/better with whatever primer you find than whatever primer the published load used -- just follow safe practices while you do it.

Well I've never loaded 6.5 Grendel... a quick search says that it uses a small rifle primer so no... ya cannot use a large rifle primer there.

However for your .308, .270, other ones that use LP then yes, use ANY that you find. What's important is not which brand of primer, it's that you follow safe practices and procedures. This means that you start well under published max -- 10% under max is a good place, and you work towards your goal.

When you've found your goal, you're good. Now when you run out of primers, you can buy whatever you find. However safe practice and procedure demands that you start your load work-up over again.

It's not safe to insert some new primer in a load that you developed with another primer.

There is no reason to suspect that you cannot build a load just as good/better with whatever primer you find than whatever primer the published load used -- just follow safe practices while you do it.
Thank you. Very good information. So much to learn.

Back