possible home invasion review.

$Hello All.

About 2 weeks ago I was home alone, Mrs. Nine was gone, and there were no cars at the house. I was in the hallway outside of my bed room when out of nowhere I hear a loud banging at the front door.

I move to investigate and see through the window of the door a guy whaling on my door, kicking I assume. The door, a 1 1/2 inch think piece of wood buckled. I moved to my bedroom and retrieved my Mossy 500C and returned to my earlier position.

Racking the slide and chambering a round I see the fellow look up, we locked eyes for but a moment before he hauled a$$. I didn'td get a good view at him, only the upper part of his face and his backside. Looking at the door I saw that maybe a few more good kicks and he'd have been inside.

So food for thought:

-Given my time constraint did I do the right thing? I didn't have time to call police.
-This fellow looked between 180 and 200 pounds, rather solid looking. I'm having second thoughts about the 20 Gauge's abilities, and I rifle would have been a terrible choice as my front door faces a road with houses on the other side.

Can anyone offer input or suggestions?

It seems to me that you acted appropriately and survived the attack. IMO the 20 gauge is just fine but I would add another layer before entry such as burglar bars. Deter the majority and give you more time to prepare for that rare determined foe.

Back