Possible chamber issues .17 HMR

That would be nice, they could easily send a prepaid CC or check. I don't know what federal or state law prohibits them paying for the transfer? As long as I fill out the 4473 it isn't a straw man purchase. This rifle they wholesale for $215 is getting a little costly.

Screenshot-20230609-074106-Yahoo-Mail.jpg

I don't know what federal or state law prohibits them paying for the transfer?

I do not believe there is any such law. Paying a fee for the service of processing the paperwork and submitting the background check is NOT purchasing a firearm. There is no question of strawman purchase here, you are not purchasing another firearm.

To be blunt, the people you are dealing with are technically doing the right thing to "make you whole" but they are doing it about the cheapest way possible, for them. Frankly, I'm "impressed" :rolleyes: they aren't trying to stick you with the shipping costs.

They could have repaired your firearm. They chose not to. They could have "repaired" your firearm by using your serial # on new parts. They chose not to. What they are doing is the least labor /cost intensive thing they could do and still send you a functional item. They will have someone grab one of the next batch to "come off the boat" slap your name on the shipping label and send it off to you (your dealer).

Additionally, your FFL dealer could choose not to charge you their fee. There is no law stating they must charge a fee. There are state laws limiting the amount of the fee, in some states, but not in every state.

Scrutiny and records requirements for manufacturers and importer/distributers are quite stringent and potentially subject to frequent review upon demand--I don't think they are going to "let it slip by"--there is way too much to risk.

Additionally, your FFL dealer could choose not to charge you their fee. There is no law stating they must charge a fee. There are state laws limiting the amount of the fee, in some states, but not in every state.

Colorado charges a $10 fee for a second background check that they run through the same NICS system. There is no way a dealer is going to eat that fee. Nor do I expect them to process paperwork on a rifle I didn't originally buy from them for free.

I agree they are doing the right thing by replacing the rifle. I have the money, for the transfer. I guess I wasn't that impressed with the rifle to begin with, and that's my main complaint with having to pay again.

Apologies, I did not realize CO charges a fee. They don't use the Fed system, do they? If they use their own system, then the state can charge whatever they feel they can get away with.

ASFAIK, the State doesn't use a different system than the Federal NICS. They just decided to charge us a fee to run our background again. I'm not 100% up on it anymore,.

Back