Possession of an AR pistol barrel?

"close proximity" is a relative thing, and interpreted. A basic scenario would be a pistol upper, meaning at least an upper receiver with a barrel installed on it, and a rifle.
Push some pins, and you have an illegal sbr in seconds.
However, just a barrel, by itself, and a rifle, is a stretch. Can they get a conviction? Maybe. Tools would be required to disassemble the rifle upper and put the short barrel on it. A short barrel and some more build parts would be better, as it shows you are in the "building process", acquiring parts.
This is where the interpretation comes in. How easy is it to make the illegal item? If you are charged, the judge has to make the same decision.

"close proximity" is a relative thing, and interpreted. A basic scenario would be a pistol upper, meaning at least an upper receiver with a barrel installed on it, and a rifle.
Push some pins, and you have an illegal sbr in seconds.
However, just a barrel, by itself, and a rifle, is a stretch. Can they get a conviction? Maybe. Tools would be required to disassemble the rifle upper and put the short barrel on it. A short barrel and some more build parts would be better, as it shows you are in the "building process", acquiring parts.
This is where the interpretation comes in. How easy is it to make the illegal item? If you are charged, the judge has to make the same decision.
Remember, reasonable doubt also applies here.

I have a new unused stripped lower in my possession and a pistol buffer tube thingy on the way.... So I'm good now.

Thanks for the info... I hope it helps others diving into a pistol build.

bungiex88 said:
Never said I supported illegal activity.
Let me clarify: Any appearance of supporting illegal activity makes all of us look bad. Your post added nothing to the conversation and could be construed as advocating illegal activity, whether or not that's actually what you meant.

Back