Porcupine bait??

Porkies are vegetarians. Around here, their winter diet consists of conifer needles, buds and the bark of pines, hemlock, maples and birch. From Spring thru fall, they will eat shoots, succulent twigs, roots, seeds and fruit/vegetables (both wild and domestic). The reason they crave salt so much is because the Porkies need sodium to rid their bodies of high levels of potassium they get from eating leaves and bark. From my experience, porkies travel the same routes over and over and their dens and these trails are relatively easy to spot, especially in the winter time. They also have a distinctive habit of defecating in the same place, many times using the same hollow tree or stump for most of their lifetime. Their scat piles are very easy to identify. Finding these places would tend to lead to success, IMHO, more than the specific bait you use.

FWIW: Porcupines are also found in the deserts of SW Texas. I've seen a few dead ones along US 90 between Del Rio and Marathon. We have the occasional, "My danged dog..." events in Terlingua.

"...porcupines are vegetarians..." Worse than that. They're vegans. Salt is the thing. Just be sure you're live trapping. Killing porky is illegal in most places.

"...porcupines are vegetarians..." Worse than that. They're vegans. Salt is the thing. Just be sure you're live trapping. Killing porky is illegal in most places.

Killing em is legal here, on your property, if they destroy real or pers property. Ive been out at dusk with my suppressed 22/45. No luck. Hoping he wanders into the trap and i can dispatch him then.

Never had any problems caused by porkys, so I have nothing against them. We got to watch one up close once, he seemed unconcerned about us and was a very cool critter to observe. Didn't have a camera of course.

Don't think it's illegal to kill them here in TX, but even if it was I wouldn't have had a choice. Was trapping racoons eating my deer corn w/ a leg trap when I caught the 'pine. No other way to let him out other than after I shot him.

Back