Popular (department selected) Police handguns

Probably a Glock since it's the lightest weight pistol possible.

M&P 9 2.0 is lighter.

Most wouldn't know a Glock from a Smock either.
Most cops are not recreational shooters(neither is the Army.) and never saw a real firearm before getting hired. Most see their issue piece as a heavy piece of kit they're required to lug around but rarely, if ever, actually use. Even for practice. The days of cops being 'gun people' are long gone.

Please cite a source for your biased ("most") opinions of Soldiers and police officers, unless of course they are personal opinions of questionable validity. In which case, no need.

My question is if the cost and politics of a department buy weren't an issue, what gun would the beat cops pick?

In days gone by, the NJSP selected HK P7s...............a fine handgun by anyone's standards

M&P 9 2.0 is lighter.

Please cite a source for your biased ("most") opinions of Soldiers and police officers, unless of course they are personal opinions of questionable validity. In which case, no need.

24.7oz vs 24.87oz....:eek: G19 IS lighter than the M&P as is G45...

Had a nice conversation with a Boulder County Deputy the other day..know 2 guys on Boulder PD..and they are without doubt, 'gun people'...Knew more than a few guys in the military, USA, USMC, even USN..and they were definately 'gun people'..anecdotal, small sample but.....

MTT TL
Quote:
24.7oz vs 24.87oz.... G19 IS lighter than the M&P as is G45...
The Glock 17, which is the more commonly issued pistol, is 705 Grams vs 700 for the M&P9 (and 680 for the G19).
Five whole grams?:eek:
Must be the longer barrel and slide making the G17 so much heavier than the M&P.

I would bet there are more G19's issued by LE agencies than M&P's.

I worked a large department, and later a much smaller one. Big or small department, there is some small percentage of officers who are "gun guys". Most officers just don't care about guns beyond mandatory training and qualifying, and would undoubtedly pick the lowest common denominator pistol. Now days, some kind of light polymer pistol, that holds a lot of ammunition, would be the pistol of choice for most IMHO.

I would bet there are more G19's issued by LE agencies than M&P's.

I bet there are more Glocks, maybe not a particular model [caliber] as opposed to M&P9s.

I own both but I can't really give the edge to either as a service pistol, although the trigger on the original M&P leaves a lot to be desired. I'd say they are pretty evenly matched.

I don't think the popularity of polymer semi-automatics is down to low-cost and politics. Almost everyone prefers them because of their low weight. Swap them out for three pound steel guns, and you will see nearly everyone complaining that they're better at nothing but anchoring boats.

Among the lightweight polymer pistols, Glock is a proven option. It's not the only viable option, but nobody ever got fired for buying Glock.

Now if you give beat cops an option, as you asked, their choices will vary based on how they are informed as individuals, on their personal biases, and on balancing their means and desires. When given a choice, the most popular alternative I see chosen is a custom 1911. Law enforcement around here are relatively highly paid. Annual compensation for a sargeant can be $200K/yr (including overtime and benefits). If they're a gun guy at all, they'll choose to drop $3K or $4K on a custom 1911 rather than carry the equivalent of a Bic lighter or pen. Over the course of their career, the expense for a high-end handgun is easily justified. Rookies in a big metro department are different. There's a good chance they're not even "gun people." They could possibly care less what they're issued. Even if they do have an opinion, how could they expect anyone else to care what it is?

I don't think the popularity of polymer semi-automatics is down to low-cost and politics.

Actually, it is. Individual officers have little if any say in what the department buys. When Glock came on to the scene, Smith & Wesson was dealing with a multitude of problems that were affecting price and supply. Glock undercut everybody on price by a tremendous margin, and they were wiling to buy existing supplies (from other manufacturers!) of handguns from agencies.

Actually, it is. Individual officers have little if any say in what the department buys. When Glock came on to the scene, Smith & Wesson was dealing with a multitude of problems that were affecting price and supply. Glock undercut everybody on price by a tremendous margin, and they were wiling to buy existing supplies (from other manufacturers!) of handguns from agencies.
That is because they understood their market. Law Enforcement Leadership is some of the most risk adverse leadership on the planet. They hate change. However present them with a deal to good to turn down and they will take it.

Once their foot was in the door with a proven platform the rest took care of itself. If "X" agency is using such equipment no issues than it certainly should be good enough for "Z".

If all LEOs were allowed to carry whatever they wanted most would carry Glock, Sig, or Smith and Wesson, with a sprinkling of just about everything else scattered around. I would stick with Glock.

My retired policeman friends are pretty much polar opposites.

The one who carried a Sig P226 would carry it by choice.

The one who carried an S&W 59XX wouldn't carry it or the Sig P226. He would carry a CZ-75.

Several departments in my area allow uniformed officers to purchase and carry a weapon of their choice. (within limits)

I see Glocks, SIGS, Berettas, S&W, HK, etc. Mostly Glocks.

I haven't seen a 1911 on a uniformed officer in many years.

Times have changed. When I started (1984) the old heads carried revolvers. .38. .357. .41, .44 and .45 LC.

Some guys carried berettas, Brownings and Smith Autos.

The cool kids and SWAT carried 1911’s.

You could tell a lot about the Officer by what he carried. Often, the gun said something about their personality.

Now? Most cops aren’t gun guys. I feel it’s even frowned upon. “Here’s your gun...”. “Ok, thanks.”

It’s just a tool you are expected to not actually use or enjoy. It’s part of the uniform. Look good while lip synching and playing mid night basketball.

The Glock is cheap. Requires minimal care, doesn’t rust, holds a bunch of bullets. It’s a dandy duty gun.

The modern cop didn’t grow up with steel, leather and wood.

I still carry a 1911 though.

Officer.com was recently running a survey on what LEO's carry OFF DUTY. Results should be interesting once tallied.
Although I'm issued a S&W M&P 9mm at work, when off duty, most of my current carry guns have a cylinder. I have seen far too many semiauto's of various brands jam over the course of my lifetime to trust them as much as a well made revolver. There is a reason most agencies put so much emphasis on "tap and rack" training on the range... because the pistols JAM!!! Bad ammunition, magazine issues, limp wristing, lubricant / weather issues, what ever the reason, in my opinion the revolver is a more reliable weapon. I just shoot them better for some reason and they feel better in my hands. Of course, spare ammo is a must. Carry what you will, but for me the sixgun still rules.

Last edited:
Unless it's something completely unreliable, inaccurate or not durable, I'd want to carry whatever the majority of the department carries. At very least what my partner (if I have one) or team mates would be carrying.

Realistically a gun is just a tool. You can train and adapt to use whatever you have available to you. You want commonality for spare ammo and magazine sharing. You want to take advantage of any and all existing training if available and the field experience of those senior to you. You want your department armorer to be familiar with your weapon. You want a legally defensible argument for your choice if you ever had to shoot someone. etc, etc.

Having a cool gun and looking cool is pretty stupid if you are giving up anything that could give you a real and actual advantage.

Last edited:
As far as the firearms you've listed go, the Ruger LC9 is going to be by far the cheapest, but just as well, it's also a very nice carry firearm which only weighs 17oz, holds 7 rounds in the magazine, (with factory 9 round extended magazines available) and is a good shooter.

The Ruger EC9s (which is just the "economy" version of the LC9s with fixed sights) retails for $249, but can often be found for $200, or even as low as $175 in used condition.

Otherwise, the M&P series often gets factory rebates around the holidays, and police trade-ins of the M&P40 1.0 show up periodically for $300 or less depending on their condition.

Another option is the less expensive S&W Sigma series of firearms, which have seen limited use by Law Enforcement, but have long since become a value priced firearm, so they're more of a civilian firearm these days. Still, they can be had for very cheap if you shop around. The modern iteration of the Sigma, known as the "SD series" can be had for as little as $300 new, often with $50 rebates, and used models go for around $250.
I myself actually bought a used LNiB Sigma SW40VE for $199 a few weeks ago. The Sigma series got a bad rep for the original 1994 SWF models being unreliable, but any of the later models made from 1999 onwards are fire, although they do have heavy 10-12lb DA triggers which some find objectionable. However, there are many ways to reduce the trigger pull if you find it too heavy. Personally, as someone who is used to heavy DA triggers, I have no issue with the Sigma's trigger.

Back