poor tactics- disturbing video

So, scenario time...

During the car stop, the subject exited the vehicle and refused to comply with the officer's commands. No weapon yet visible.

I probably would have peppered him when he approached me. If I was reasonably sure the vehicle was clear, I'd go hands on, but there appeared to be a passenger in the vehicle, so I'd wait for backup.

When I saw the rifle, I'd move to cover and draw, giving commands ("drop the weapon or I will shoot you"). When he failed to comply, I'd probably shoot him.

His non-compliance and subsequent brandishing of a firearm would, I believe, make me morally and legally justified in my use of lethal force. I don't think I need to wait for him to load his weapon and point it at me.

So what's the "school solution"? What other tactics are possible?

Next month, we're doing force-on-force with Simunitions, and we'll integrate this into the scenario.

I agree that it appears that the officer probably didn't have the ability to kill even when given enough cause to do so. This is apparent when he continues to command the suspect to drop the gun up to, and even after, the shooting had started.

It is unfortunate but the abilty to take life or not is usually something that will never be known until/unless the situation actually happens. And then it's too late to change your mind and rearrange your life's plans.

What's really interesting to realize is that had the general citizenry been armed, this nut job couldn't have done what he did. It is because of the fear the gen pub has of guns, this mental defective realized that he could gain power through intimidation with a weapon. Take the fear away and you have no power to intimidate.

Betcha the officers family is vehemently anti-gun now.

Anyone else think a taser might have been an alternative that could have been used the first time the guy headed for the cop?

When we talked about this shooting at the academy, I was told that the officer did use his baton on the guy off camera, when the guy attacked the officer. One hit, the guy backed off again, and went to his truck. Our rule was, if you have to use the baton, use it til the BG is subdued. (Same as shooting, ironically)

Good example of why non lethal force like tasers should also be implemented.

The man was obviously acting in a dangerous, insane, suicidal manner that would justify taser use before he even went back to his car to get a gun.

Very sad.

It looks like the passenger in the cab leans over to load the magazine of the carbine or something. It appears as though the crazy behaviour of the driver outside the vehicle is just a diversion to buy the other guy in the cab time to load the M1 Carbine magazine. After the carbine magazine is loaded the driver returns to the truck and inserts the magazine into the carbine and begins firing.

We just went through similar situations in the FATS simulator.

Lessons learned:

1. Stay alert, stay alive. If the passenger is moving around in the vehicle, there is a reason. Be alert.

2. Use your tools when necessary, and have the tools you need.
A baton strike might have been the only thing the officer could have resorted to. We have better tools now, such as the Taser.

Learn the limits, and think through the scenarios: "If the driver does this, I will...If the driver crosses this point, I will...

3. Do not let prior incidents cloud your judgement. I'm sure the officer had the disciplinary action in mind when the incident occurred.

4. Just like in the military, have a "line of departure". This is the line that, once crossed, triggers swift and decisive action.

In this case, considering his speech and demeanor,that line would have been as soon as the guy was observed with a firearm in his hands. Ideally, he should have caught a 12 Ga. slug immediately, and then the passenger should have been immediately covered.

I will say this, though--given the litigious nature of our society, had the officer used multiple baton strikes on the perp at the first part of the encounter, he might have survived--and lost everything he had as part of the impending lawsuit. A bleeding heart jury would hear how he beat down this poor, defenseless veteran.

As someone said earlier, this was a lose/lose situation.

To answer an earlier question re: Taser use, YES. As soon as the guy crossed a line of safe distance (max engagement range of the Taser, not published here out of a sense of propriety :) ) he should have been popped immediately.

Note, however, the loose clothing. While the Taser is effective through clothing, there is a chance that a light hit could result. In this case, given the person's demeanor, I would probably have transitioned to my sidearm immediately if the Taser proved ineffective.

Rest in peace, Deputy. :(

Back