Poor performance of Ballistic Silvertips

Rich,

Not a hint of argument here. I wish I could give you some magic answer on why I have not had to track animals. In part, I think this is due to how I hunt, and what I used.
I like to still hunt, or stalk. I do not shoot animals that are spooked, or running. My woodscraft is fairly good, and knowing the animal, and the area I hunt, I am often able to come pretty close to an animal that is browsing.
The last 7 deer I have taken, were all with a Marlin 1894 in 44Mag. I first used factory Speer 270 grain GDSP, but have been loading my own for the past few years. The heavy, fairly slow bullet performs well. I have taken other deer at longer ranges with a 7 X 57 Mauser Ackley Improved. I use the Sierra Game King 140 grain bullet. Again, quick kills, good bullet performance.

The statement "enough gun, but not more than necessary", just means that I know from experience about what it takes to harvest the game I am hunting, in the terrain I am in. I have hunted for many years, in the same areas, about 50 years. I am better at this now, than I was as a lad.
I know that if I were to head out West, or to the open fields of Iowa, I would have to change my strategy. I do not know the area, and I have not hunted Deer in open areas. Frankly, I do not know what caliber, or load might be best there. I know that in those circumstances, I would have to follow the advise of those that hunt there regularly.

In all honesty, I am sure I have had a deer or hog travel further than 10 yard, but it has not been often, and I have not had to track one, just watch where they fall down, and go to it.

bullet

Try the Nosler partition or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. You will see much better penetration. I had the same problem with my 25-06, but worse. The bullet would hit and just disentegrate. Never lost an animal, but it would run farther than I thought it should with little to no blood trail. The two above mentioned bullets are not as accurate(1 to 2 inch groups instead of 1 inch) The knock down power more than makes up for it.

Back