Pondering a short shotgun

reaper715

Is there any shotgun that is semi automatic that can be shortened to the size of sawed off shotgun (small pistol sized double barrell)?
I know some of them are impossible because of the action.
Or is the only option for a gun that small in a pump action the serbu? Or some type of singleshot or double barrell being cut down? Just thinking about it as a new toy / home defense gun.
P.S. How do you put those quotes or your guns in the bottom of your posts?

I forgot about those. They are really cool but I wanted something smaller and cheaper like a sawed off double barell or over and under.

I'm coriuos about the recoil from a doble barrelled sawded of or even a pump action sawed off. Is it really so horrible? Can it harm the wrist?

If it's your first NFA shotgun, I'd suggest just sending in a Form 1 and doing it yourself to a double or single barrel shotgun. That way, it's a relatively inexpensive investment and you get to make it yourself. :)

attachment.php

My first NFA item was the Stoeger 12ga double barrel pictured.

With a standard shot load, the recoil isn't really too bad, unless you let the muzzle get away from you; you wouldn't want to load one of these up with 3" slugs anyway, and two shots is probably enough for most people to decide that they don't want a REALLY short shotgun. If you get something with a stock on it (like the 14" 870 above), you feel the blast a bit more, but it's still quite controllable, even with slugs.

AOW

"I'd suggest just sending in a Form 1 and doing it yourself to a double or single barrel shotgun. That way, it's a relatively inexpensive investment and you get to make it yourself. "

Is there a sticky about the procedure for filing the paperwork, etc.? This is VERY interesting. I have a gun that would be a good candidate for an SBS. An AOW...I cannot make one myself, is that correct? At least not from a SG that I own.
How much is a "relatively inexpensive investment", assuming that I already own the firearm?
Pete

You can make a AOW, just not from a shotgun with a shoulder stock. It costs $200 to make an AOW or SBS, so it doesn't matter.

As to procedure, go to ATF website and download the FORM 1 pdf. Fill it out (including CLEO autograph) in duplicate, include 2 passport photos and a check to ATF for $200. Send the whole deal to ATF and wait for a response. When your form comes back approved, make the gun. As manufacturer, you will need to engrave your name and city on the AOW/SBS.

Last edited:
ATF

"just not from a shotgun with a shoulder stock."
Sorry to ask what about may be obvious to others but does that mean if I buy a SD shotgun with a pistol grip, I can covert it? Or is it more involved than that? How would anyone know?
From another thread, on another forum, I was under the impression that the tax stamp for a AOW was only five dollars (http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=49578)
Pete

A shotgun that has a shoulder stock attached is a shotgun forever and can only be made into a SBS. A shotgun manufactured with only a pistol grip is not technically a shotgun. By definition a "shotgun" is designed to be fired from the shoulder. Obviously a PG shotgun cannot be fired from the shoulder. ATF considers it a "Title One Firearm" instead of a shotgun. This shotgun can be made into either an AOW or a SBS. They would know by checking with the original manufacture to see how the shotgun left the factory.

The $5 is to transfer an existing AOW. It is still $200 to manufacture.

Im a little confused. If I buy a titled AOW, I pay only a $5 tax then I can leaglly put a stock on it latter? If I buy a registered SBS, I pay a $200 tax and can not put on a pistol grip? That doesn't sound right to me. AOW's were alot cheap at the last machingun shoot i went to compared to SBS.

AOWs can't have a stock but can have a pistol grip and short barrel. SBSs can have anything including stock and pistol grip. Best route just do the SBS. After filing all the paperwork, setting up a trust or meeting your Sheriff, and waiting months and months the difference between $5 and $200 really isn't that much.

Back