Polymer revolver opinions?

The other thing to consider about a pocket carry gun is the worst case scenario: you don't have enough time to draw the gun. Any pocket pistol that I have will reliably shoot once from inside the pocket. My confidence is negligible in a follow up shot in my current semi-autos in that situation. It's for that reason I'm contemplating something like an LCR. Five or six shots with a small likelihood of jamming. I'll gladly trade a large ragged hole in my pants for a few holes in a scumbag.

... I got tired of waiting for Ruger to release the LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel. ...

I think this has to do with needing a whole new frame. Remember that the LCR 38 and rimfire models are built on a smaller, lighter frame. The LCR 357, 327, and 9mm have a slightly larger steel frame that was developed later. The LCRx followed suit by releasing the lighter-framed models first. The heavier-framed LCRx models came later once the trail had already been blazed. The 3" LCRx is the newest kid on the block and it too has been crafted with a light frame. I hope to see 3" models in those heavier calibers but I understand that it's going to take some extra engineering and creativity on Ruger's part. In the mean time, I think the design of the 3" model is actually rather attractive.

c4nZti2.jpg

I hear that, MillCreek. I'd be in line to buy a 3" LCRx in .327 Fed Mag on day one. That'd be six shots from ultra-mild to fairly wild on a perfect platform. It would be a dandy small game and plinking gun in .32 S&W Long. It would be a terrific self-defense gun with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.

I almost scratched my kit-gun itch on the current, six-shot, 3" LCRx in .22 WMR. The problem besides a relatively low upper limit on power is that it's rimfire. Even if .22 magnum is more reliable than .22 LR, I'll always have more faith in centerfire. I also feel like the heavier trigger pull undercuts one of the LCR's best features.

One thing about my LCR9mm is the fact that I find it just darn fun to shoot. All these comments about the Polymer frame aluminum chassis, would be a bid deal for to me on my experience with say a LCP where I will not own another. I have moved on to all stainless steel with a modular grip and never looked back.
That said, the LCR is one exception. It is built like a tank. Ruger really got this one right. Proof seems to be in the Pudding as they say, and these guns can run and run. Many reports of 10,000 Plus. My LCR9mm has proven itself to be a fighter. A whole lot of ammo down range and just keeps on trucking. As One description of the gun is "The Glock of Revolvers". Maybe not pretty, but tough.
The Trigger speaks for itself and has proven to be one of the best designs to come along in decades and only gets better with time. One smooth operator baby! The comment that Ruger triggers are gritty, just tells me that the owner just does not shoot it very much as the trigger is basically self polishing.
Recoil is IMO on this gun, to be mild. The more you shoot it, the more you become accustomed to it, to the point that I feel I could shoot this gun all day.
Yes, Polymer would be a bid deal if you started seeing cracks, spits in the frame and on and on. However they designed this gun well. Obviously the stress points are not receiving the stress and not affecting the gun.
No matter how you cut it, the LCR's are built tough.
Love the fact that I can own one in 22.cal as a inexpensive trainer and just more double your fun at the range.

Ironically, a thousand rounds of American Eagle, one of my LCR9mm's favorite ammo arrived on my door step last night. I felt I could hear him just jumping around inside of the safe all last night in anticipation of devouring all of it. I will go to the range today, try and hold him back to just the customary feeding of 150-200 rounds each week.

Last edited:
I have owned the .38 short barrel version probably around five years now. Love it. It's small, light, simple. It is the one i go to on hot days or when I'm traveling light. I'm not worried about what other people might be carrying i don't compete with them and it's not the most bullets or the strongest it's the one it's the one that hits : )

So I have the 3" LCRX as a trail gun.
I chronographed the Buffalobore .38 +P 158 grain keith hardcast out of it at 1076, 1087
giving a muzzle energy of 415 foot pounds. Now that is low end .357 magnum but very controllable still.
When you consider that the guide killed the grizzly in Alaska with his 9mm with BB out doorman that is rated at only 336 foot pounds ME, makes you wonder if that .38 +P wouldn't also do the job give proper shot placement.

Shooting the BB 9mm +P outdoorsman out of my Shield I got 1014, 1014 for 336 ft# ME.
Note: I don't have grizzlies in my woods, just Black bears and big cats.

But I also am waiting for the .357 version to come out as well. Already have the short barrel LCR.

I won three of the LCR models of Ruger, 22lr, 327 Fed. and the .357 Mag. Love them all. I use the .22 for target practice and gun handling. Still up in the air on the .327 Fed. It shoots nice but does have a kick. Have not tried any other of the .32 caliber rounds through it yet.

I have had thee guns for a few years and no issues. Great gun.

I won three of the LCR models of Ruger, 22lr, 327 Fed. and the .357 Mag. Love them all. I use the .22 for target practice and gun handling. Still up in the air on the .327 Fed. It shoots nice but does have a kick. Have not tried any other of the .32 caliber rounds through it yet.

Lucky! How did you manage that?

When it comes to using the LCR 327 in .327 Federal, I recommend the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks. We did a "blind" test of bunch of different rounds/calibers through different models of LCR with a few friends. The 100 and 115-grain loads we tried in .327 Federal were less comfortable and closer in recoil to Wal-Mart's cheapest 125-grain loads in .357 magnum. The 85-grain .327 Hydra-Shoks, marketed as "low recoil", were indistinguishable from mid-weight .38 +p from the LCR 38 in terms of felt recoil. (It was louder but it felt about the same.) The difference on water jugs was pretty spectacular though. Setting aside the math of an 85-grain hollowpoint traveling at around 1275 fps, it was the best jug-buster for the least recoil.

The only commercial .32 H&R magnum ammo we could find felt more like standard-pressure mid-weight .38 special from the heavier LCR 357. It was about as effective too. (I don't remember the brand.) The Magtech .32 S&W Long 98 grain SJHP was a real pussycat to shoot. It performed as expected in the bottom tier as far as destruction. It is still more powerful and more reliable than .22 LR. It kicks a little more than rimfire but nowhere near the big boys and the lighter trigger pull keeps it preferable.

I own two LCR'S...one in .357 and the other in .22 WMR...

My .357 is my EDC...I chose the .357 because it has a stainless steel frame and the fact that it weighs 4.3 oz more than the .38 Special that helps in absorption of recoil. I carry it loaded with Inceptor ARX ammo in .38 Special 77 grain copper polymer bullets. They leave my LCR at approximately 1100 fps and provide a wound cavity comparable to a 38 Special +p 125 grain JHP as measured in ballistic gelatin. With the Inceptor ammo the recoil is negligible and I can shoot for extended periods without torturing my hands or wrists. Because of the reduced recoil I can get follow up shoots off a lot quicker. And should I want to shoot .357 thru it, they offer a 86 grain cartridge with speeds approaching +1600 fps out of that short barrel.

The LCR with the stainless frame should provide me with years of service and is an exceptional little shooter. I would highly recommend to anyone for conceal carry as long as they're willing to practice diligently with it so as to become proficient.

Last edited:
My Taurus Protector Poly in .357 has arrived. Some quick initial impressions: fit and finish on the polymer is not as good as on my Ruger LCR, it is very lightweight, the cylinder release is going to need to be cycled a bit in order to loosen it up, the fiber optic front sight is quick to acquire, double-action trigger pull is much heavier than the LCR but I have confidence that it will ignite just about any primer, and the shrouded hammer is great for carry while giving a single-action option. It is pouring rain up here right now, but I did get out into the backyard and put 15 rounds of Winchester white box .38 special through it. No problems with function, timing or ejection and I am reserving judgement shooting to point of aim until I can do a more controlled test in better weather. $ 302 from Bud's plus $35 transfer from my FFL. So far, it seems to be a pretty good value for money, as are my other Taurus handguns.

Maybe it's just me, but with the right set of custom wood grips, my 3" LCRX in .38 special looks pretty darn beautiful. I don't get all the fuss about the poly. I'm thinking that if you handed the gun to a blind person, he could not feel the difference between the polymer frame and the aluminum frame parts. The polymer is very hard, not soft.

What is most appealing about this midsize revolver is that it is SOOOOO Light!!
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05075.JPG
    DSC05075.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 148
I can speak of the LCR. I have one in 22LR, 327FedMag & 38spl. The oldest one going back to 2011. All have been 100%.

I've carried a snubby since 1968 and IMO, the LCR is the best lightweight snubby ever.

Maybe it's just me, but with the right set of custom wood grips, my 3" LCRX in .38 special looks pretty darn beautiful. I don't get all the fuss about the poly. I'm thinking that if you handed the gun to a blind person, he could not feel the difference between the polymer frame and the aluminum frame parts. The polymer is very hard, not soft

I must say...that is one nice looking LCRx!

Back