Polymer Framed Handguns - Frame Flex??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

I see what you call "frame-flex", just when the slide is affected by unlocking. But there is no larger clearance between slide and frame. IOW, no flex. This is at the initial movement of the slide. Then, when the slide is almost in full recoil, the recoil-spring guide-rod appears to move (it is allowed and is expected to move) and there is the illusion that the frame has again "flexed" when it has not. Sorry, Charlie.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your personal set of criteria for what constitutes frame flex.

The point of the video is that the polymer does flex during the firing sequence as shown by the flexing/vibration of the dustcover.

It's supposed to be a cast hybrid with a base of Nylon 6 and 2-3% carbon black added for UV resistance. I've also seen some information indicating that there may be some metal content (flakes or powder) added to make the frame more visible to X-Rays but I'm less sure of that information.

"Can you give an example of a polymer gun that "wore out"?"

The only plastic gun I ever owned failed after less than 100 rounds, but it was poor engineering. There was a thread about the longevity of plastic a while ago. As an environmental pollutant plastics may last for centuries, but as a flexing stressed part that is not the case. I threw an ammo box out last night with a failure of the "miracle plastic hinge". :barf: I notice that when engineers want a plastic hinge to actually last they mold a regular swiveling hinge joint in.

"The plastic that's used in toys is for toys. Saying the word "plastic" and pretending it's all the same is like saying "metal" and pretending it's all the same. There are plastics that are EXTREMELY strong while still being light-weight and many of them are used to make guns."

Every kind of plastics are used in toys, don't kid yourself, any that aren't are also not being used in "toy" pistols either.:D
You want cheap guns? You like cheap guns? Good for you. My main point is that you have been programmed to accept less for more $$. I went way out of my way to replace Colts plastic trigger in an otherwise nice pistol. Colt saved 2 or 3 bucks!

Folks;

Thanks very much for all the information and discussion, it's been most helpful.

JohnKSa, you're right, the polymer is called Nylon 6, with a little carbon added. Spamanon, thank you for that Materials data website, it's come in VERY handy!

AlleyKat, your question "If you had all of that data, the math of which is probably above your head, as you admitted, what would you do with that data?" is a very pertinant one. My department has been discussing the idea of introducing pistol mounted lights for our issue duty firearm (for the record : a Glock 22, 3rd Generation) and there's been much discussion on the topic of frame flex and stoppages. I've been trying to find something quantifiable to work from.

Again, my thanks to all. The Quest continues.....

I just stumbled upon this thread in 2019. Over a decade later, I hope that the kind of comments I've read in this thread, bashing plastic firearms, have all been put to rest by now. It's vividly apparent that the individuals, back in 2008, pushing the "plastics are inferior to metal" opinion have/had zero education/experience in science and engineering fundamentals such as statics, dynamics, material sciences, chemistry, heat transfer, thermodynamics, etc. I'm still bewildered that, even by 2008, so many had never gotten beyond the 1980's skepticism of Glock's intro to the firearms world. Here, in good ol' today, where we know better, the list of manufacturers turning out polymer firearms is huge: Springfield, Walther, CZ, FN, HK, Smith and Wesson, Sig, STI, Kahr, Beretta, Ruger, etc. All the top makers have finally begun capitalizing on the fact that polymer indeed serves shooters very well, from personal defense to competition...and for more important reasons than profits. Introducing polymer into a pistol allows the weighting to be targeted/placed where it needs to be to optimize recoil control, which provides the shooter the luxury of more accurate rapid follow-up shots. But reducing pistol weight, in general, makes everything faster, and more comfortable for shooters of all types. Look at the number of manufacturers who are now making their metal slides lighter, and lighter, reducing the reciprocating mass of their automatic pistols. Less weight is not a bad thing, unless you're stuck in the 1980's where the only way to make a pistol accurate, and reduce felt recoil, was to make it as heavy as possible. Thankfully the gun manufacturers use a little thing called physics in their design process, which produces tangible, empirical data, rather than opinions. And now, we have companies like Sig progressing this materials optimization even further, with their tungsten-infused polymer, giving those who want the weight of an all metal pistol the recoil performance properties of a plastic frame. Thank you science and engineering for not leaving us stuck in the 1980's...or even 2008.

Welcome to The firing Line!

Yes, much has changed in the last 10 years. And the changes continue. SIG is now announcing some versions of the P320 with "tungsten infused polymer" frames, for competition shooters who actually want the gun to weigh about the same as an all-steel one.

Bart Noir

Welcome to TFL, LT130TH!

Let's let this one sink back to the bottom. If there needs to be a new thread about polymer frame flex, you're free to start one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back