Poly, Alloy, Steel - favorite range handgun

triplebike

I have one of each that are my range fun to shoot guns. They are;

SAR - B6P - 9MM - POLY - Very soft recoil, extremely accurate & reliable

SAR - ST10 - 9MM - ALLOY - Same as above

CZ - 75B SA - 9MM - STEEL - Same as above

I have 1000's of rds fired through each of these handguns. I have never had a single problem with any of them. Cost wise the two Sar's cost about the same as the single CZ. They are all equal in accuracy, reliability & quality. The Sar's have a better trigger out of the box & sightly better sights. I would trust any of these with my life.

So, whats your range favorites?

Wilson - 5" protector - all stainless - 9mm

Freedom Arms 4 3/4" Stainless Octagonall barrel .357 mag

S&W model 29-1 Nickel 8 3/8" .44 mag

S&W model 19-1 4" Nickel .357 mag

Signal 226 X-Five L1 model SAO .40 S&Windows

Steel is real, but my service arm was a Sig P220 in 45 ACP. I briefly went to a S&W 4506 but found it heavier (stainless steel) and the recoil for some reason less manageable. Went back to the Sig P220.

don't shoot as much anymore, but I have always been partial to steel and walnut. I do own two stainless Steel firearms, both wear pachmayr grips, I even have two polymer-framed pistol, a Ruger LCP and a 22/45. but being old school I am attracted to shiny deep blue and satin finished walnut.

Funny, my son in law has a XD, my daughter has a HK USP. both are OK to shoot, both are reasonably accurate, but I just never shoot more than a magazine full through them before I put them down and pick up one of mine. the 22/45 is as accurate a .22 as I have, but I would rather pick up the Colt Woodsman or the S&W 41.

I do not dislike polymer, I even understand that modern technology makes it a great choice for shooters. I like old British cars instead of newer sports cars, I like machinery with gears and chains and belts and grease instead of actuators and stepping motors.

I guess I am just old enough to be set in my ways, but young enough to understand that there are other ways.

David

My favorite range guns now, tend to be revolvers, such as...

Colt Officers Model Match 6" barrel, blued.
Colt Python 6" barrel, blued.
Colt Trooper Mark V 6" barrel, Nickel plated.
S&W Model 19-5 4" barrel, Nickel plated.
S&W Model 15-6 4" barrel, blued.
S&W Model 27-2 3 1/2" barrel, blued.

There are other Colt, and S&W revolvers, but these get shot the most as range guns.

As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-Nothing Beats the Feel of Steel. AFAIK Bullseye shooters have never used anything but steel frames even though they fire mild target loads with only one hand.
Favorite range handguns ? Hmmmm...I learned to shoot practicing Bullseye with my High Standard Victor.

S&W Model 66, 6"
S&W Model 657, 6"
High Standard .22
S&W 22a .22

I've got a couple of 1911's I'm working on. The jury is still out on them, but i think the .45 will work out. The 9mm I'm not so sure about.

5" 1911 9mm (STI Trojan or Kimber Target II)
S&W 14 6"
===
The bad thing is I like these 2 two the most this week but I cannot guarantee that it will be the top two next week.

Most of my guns now are Single Actions, and these steel and brass and wood, plus a little elk stag thrown in.

True, some wore aluminum alloy or ZAMAK when I bought them, but I soon remedied that. Must admit I keep an alloy S&W Model 442 handy, but do keep it out of sight.

Bob Wright

1st 4" S&W19-2nd Rem.222 3rd M1100-26" fixed-12ga.(1st 8pt.)

For 60+yrs these 3 early purchased guns have protected and kept our 150 acres safe,all all cherished by our young folks.3 gun ranges were built so the young folks to carry on with lead and copper bullets,much like today!But ,being outshot today by safe,well trained kidsYou were able to help.Ya'all's Friend,Skeets:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If its my favorite, than for sure its steel.

Colt Python.
Colt Trooper.
Colt 1911.
Sig P226.
Sig P239.
Browning HP.
Beretta 92FS.
High Standard trophy. (.22)
Browning Challenger.

My HK P30 9mm is my EDC so it gets its proper share of range time, my 1911s, HK45, Glocks, SIGs, my BHP and my CZ 75B, and my S&W revolvers are all in the rotation for range time.

As I'm within 2 months of being 70 now, I find that for both carry and range use, I'm more apt to pick one of my alloy frame guns: Sigs for the most part...hate to admit it as I'm a 1911 guy. My sons and I have a variety of handguns here: revolvers a plenty, as well as autos, but it's the alloy, lighter weight autos that see more range time, all things considered.

The 5-8 oz. difference just makes a difference and my strength is not what it was 10-20 years ago. For carry especially, I just don't like the sag on my hip that an all steel piece produces.

Recoil doesn't seem to make much of a difference, alloy vs steel for me...but I've been a short gun shooter since my late teens. The newer poly frames are lighter yet and we've got a several: Glock and S&W, and with them the recoil again just doesn't seem to be much of a factor in accuracy nor comfort while shooting. I'm talking about rounds that span .380 to .45 ACP too.

Rod

Back