Poll: Who has been the WORST President in United States History?

Who has been the WORST President in the History of the USA??

• Franklin Pierce

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • James Buchanan

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Warren Harding

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Calvin Coolidge

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Lyndon Johnson

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Richard Nixon

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Jimmy Carter

Votes: 158 57.2%
  • Ronald Reagan

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • William Clinton

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 52 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end they finally gave in and determined that slaves who volunteered to fight (regardless of what their masters wanted) would be granted their freedom at the end of hostilities. This came too late and the war ended before any of that batch got to fight.

What is important is that the measure was tacit acknowledgement that a federal government DID have the right to tell people what to do with their "property".

Which made the whole war unecessary to begin with ...

That seems like quite a stretch to me. I don't see how a federal government has a right to tell people what to do with their property, not in any general sense. I don't reckon even a national government has such a general power. On the other hand, during times of war, when the Country depends on it, that's a different situation isn't it? How we can we take an act of government during war time, putting slaves into battle, and equate it with a general right to set the slaves free or a general right to tell people what to do with their property?

But I find that a lot of people are more about the process of things. If the right documents are signed and voted on, that's what matters. The process. The intent or the unintended consequence is of considerably less importance.
I think the "process" you refer to is our frame of government, which is founded upon rule of law. It seems that some people couldn't care less, they just want whatever result they want, and damn all those pesky limits on federal government that get in the way.

Well, if you are going to take that position, be prepared to rationalize a LOT of government actions taken during wartime and justified by saying it was necessary for the conflict.

Like the Patriot Act.

One mundane - but important difference - between Davis and Lincoln, is that Davis discovered and utilized great military leaders early, while Lincoln had to do so a bit later. Davis backed Robert E. Lee at a time when some folks considered Lee too old and too cautious. Some folks even derided Lee as 'Old Granny Lee' and 'Old Evacuation Lee.' Davis knew better. Meanwhile, Lincoln was trying to get some service out of McClellan who the critics were proclaiming to be the 'Napolean of the West.'

Joe Johnston was Davis' McClellan - and McClellan<sp> was Lincoln's Johnston. Both Davis and Lincoln made mistakes in trying to find good military leadership, but the mistakes were not their own fault inasmuch the fault of the limitations in their pools of resources. Both Lincoln and Davis were smart, decisive, stubborn but crucially flexible and determined men. One rarely gets such inspirational leadership in a president, but in the American Civil War - both Davis and Lincoln were such leaders.

When Lincoln took office and the Union was unraveling, there was one cabinet member who urged that Lincoln declare a war against Spain to reunite the country against a 'common enemy.' Lincoln declined the repugnant offer. I can't say we have a man of such integrity in the likes of President Bush. Lincoln was a man and a leader. Bush is a boy and the puppet of old cronies/bosses around him and his father... Lincoln was a top president; Bush is somewhere near the bottom.

Inspirational leaders are rare. Robert E. Lee had it. The historical image I have of Lee's leadership is the story of the Battle of the Wilderness at a critical point when it looked like the Southern line would break. Lee rode to the area and as bullets spattered the trees around him, Confederate soldiers began to swarm around him so as to use their own bodies to shield him against the bullets that were whizzing and striking in their proximity. Men were shouting and sobbing 'General Lee to the rear...' Lee calmly raised his sword and cried loudly 'Texan's Always Move'em Back.' At that moment the Texas Brigade appeared on the scene,plugged the line and drove back the Union forces almost breaking the Union line.

Lee's genius was he took risks at the drop of a hat - but never did he do so in a reckless manner. He knew the imporatnce of a single day - and never knowingly allowed a troop movement the luxury of idle time. Lee would immediatly pounce on an enemy's mistake in timing. He was also the kind of leader who let his subordinates have enough breathing room to be creative ie. a subordinate in Lee's service could go out and ask 'what would Lee want me to do - if he was here - and could act on such intuition knowing that Lee would back him up instead of stab him in the back if there was a problem. Lee was a natural leader. Lincoln and Davis had that sort of inspirational quality too, but not to the extent as did the military leaders.

Davis personally stopped a bread riot in the streets of Richmond after giving a passionate speech and firing a pistol in the air. I see the petty bickering between about McCain and Obama about who is patriotic and visiting troops - but it is disgraceful in comparison to the sacrifices and patriotism exhibited by men like Davis and Lincoln.

At the end of the war, when Davis was being taken away to prison, a little boy in the town saw his carriage, ran up to it , and peaked inside to view Davis. The boy's name was Woodrow Wilson. :cool:

At the end of the war, when Davis was being taken away to prison, a little boy in the town saw his carriage, ran up to it , and peaked inside to view Davis. The boy's name was Woodrow Wilson.

I love little bits of historical continuity like this. In Nathan Millers "Theodore Roosevelt; A Life" there is a picture of eight year old TR in a window, watching as Lincoln's funeral cortege goes by in New York.

Hold Up.....

sorry guys have been out of town for a bit. i am not even gonna waste my time cutting quotes here, i just want to know...why am i being accused of being a HATER? :mad: several comments have been made stating that anybody who believes that the war was not fought over slavery is becuase they are filled with hate...ok im sorry i gotta do it, here is what i am talking about.

Let their hatred spoil thier now very thin veils. You pop the bubble too soon and they will desipate and put their masks back on.

He hates any central governments, any taxes, any government regulations, etc. He's trying to find a scapegoat for his hatred.

I personally think that these statments in themselves have a rather angry ring to them. If we are so hateful and you so loving and kind, why cant you just respond to a internet post without ahving an aneurysm?
:confused:

i just want to know...why am i being accused of being a HATER?

They hold people like Lincoln and Roosevelt in high regard and when presented with ugly truths about them they don't want to hear it.

They use charges of hate and racism to diminish their opponents claims and avoid addressing them.

Well the post is about who was the worst president. Interesting how one particular president can be so polarizing.

HOOVER,

Anybody would will sick the United States Army on WWI veterans for protesting is a dog and should be tried for high treason.

PAY THE BONUS!

JP

I think the worst president was William Henry Harrison. He was a general, US Representative, governor and the oldest man elected president until Reagan. At his inauguration, he refused to wear an overcoat. As a result, he caught pneumonia, and died a month later, fulfilling none of his campaign promises.

HOOVER,

Anybody would will sick the United States Army on WWI veterans for protesting is a dog and should be tried for high treason.

PAY THE BONUS!

I thought it was MacArthur who set the army on the veterans and afterwards told Hoover he'd have to take responsibility or appear weak.

Or am I misinformed on that?

dresden8:

Hoover ordered it "reluctantly":confused: and Big Mac didn't hesitate for a minute to turn on his own brothers. How could a person possibly live with themselves for ordering such a thing.

Washington's response to the Whiskey Rebellion comes in a close second.

JP

Quote:
He hates any central governments, any taxes, any government regulations, etc. He's trying to find a scapegoat for his hatred.

I personally think that these statments in themselves have a rather angry ring to them. If we are so hateful and you so loving and kind, why cant you just respond to a internet post without ahving an aneurysm?

Not sure why you used my quote, I was referring to Dilorenzo. A little over-sensitive,maybe?

Lincoln is not really that controversial or polarizing of a president. The vast majority of Americans consider him a great president. And historians, the people who make their living out of studying the past, consistently rank Lincoln as one of the very best presidents. Certainly nowhere near the worst.

There is a small minority of Lincoln-haters. They have an axe to grind, and they always either Pro-confederate, or anarcho-capitalists. Sorry if the word "hate" seems strong to you but it's the best word. If the criticism of Lincoln coming from these groups was a little more rational, maybe a softer word would be appropriate.

Hoover ordered it "reluctantly" and Big Mac didn't hesitate for a minute to turn on his own brothers. How could a person possibly live with themselves for ordering such a thing.

It is an interesting contrast that so few here condemn Hoover, despite the fact he responded to the needs of veterans with bullets.

Yet, FDR, who signed the famous G.I. Bill of Rights Legislation, is reviled by so many.

Oh well, I definitely should of had more names on my list.

It is an interesting contrast that so few here condemn Hoover, despite the fact he responded to the needs of veterans with bullets.

Yet, FDR, who signed the famous G.I. Bill of Rights Legislation, is reviled by so many.

Oh well, I definitely should of had more names on my list.

It was a stain upon American history to have such an episode, especially to involve someone who would go on to be such a great general. Otherwise I'd have nothing but admiration for MacAuthor. But still I use a standard of which leaders left a lasting affect. The Bonus March was a big issue for those involved, but it does not extend much beyond them.

Admiring the Constitution is grounds for hating Lincoln? How?...

The big question here is: Once a state joins the union (United States), can it ever withdrawn from the union? Many of us "Lincoln haters" say that any state can leave the union whenever it chooses, for whatever reasons. Nothing in the US Constitution says that once a state is a member of the union, it can never leave. That is for each state to decide for itself. Many of us despise Lincoln because he used a level of violence never seen on this side of the world to prevent states from exercising their rights, which included the right to leave the union of states.

Let's just assume it was about slavery. The southern states should still have been left to decide for themselves whether to stay in the union. Besides, with the vast majority of western nations taking a negitive view of slavery at that time, economic boycotts of slave produced materials would led to an end of slave labor. Don't forget that slavery was coming to a peaceful end in the rest of the western hemisphere during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back