Poll: Formal Training Classes How Many TFL Members Take Them?

Have you ever attended a training course and if so how often?

• Never done formal training don't see the need.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Never but would like to or plan on it in the near future.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • 1 or 2 classes over my lifetime.

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • 1 or 2 classes a year.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • As often as I can more than 10 in my lifetime.

Votes: 21 28.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Firearms Training Course"?

The commonest courses I see are handgun courses, ranging from 'no-nothing' to 'advanced' levels. The beginning level classes (safety, handling, operating, cleaning) are quite valuable for those who have just purchased a handgun and are intending to defend self and home.

Many of the advanced classes concentrate on current competition concepts. Which I find very impressive and quite useless for many shooters. Too much emphasis on multiple targets within time limits, magazine changes and advanced practice. Not enough attention to one or two adversaries and how to determine what to do in unexpected circumstances.

Then there are various degrees of rifle courses. Ranging from basic safety to details of aiming in various conditions. Some are geared toward hunting, some toward formal target shooting.

The person selecting a course needs to decide what skills they need and what course can help them.

First, I would need to believe that the "trainer" was more qualified than myself. So far and after watching several of the "training video" advertisements, this hasn't been the case. I had a chat with a "trainer" last spring during some investigative work I was doing. He bragged about his CCW and self defense training classes and his qualifications. I soon realized I had similar qualifications BEFORE I WAS 25 YEARS OLD. His military service was non-combat and the Sheriff's Department he'd worked for was depopulated after some sketchy activities(up to and including a Deputy who murdered a citizen over a 3 way sex triangle with a female prisoner).

I think it is obvious that one should check out the qualifications and content of any educators and their program - in any field.

Do the various 'fighting' courses have some less than useful experiences? Sure they do.

Are there qualified folks out there, who do a good job? Yes, there are.

Do professional golfers, tennis pros, etc. go back to the basics with good instructors - yes, they do.

In my profession, we examined credentials thoroughly before a hire (and some still stunk on the job). I read some places' quals and I agree that unless I see training and experience with quality folks - I'd save my money.

However, there are good folks out there.

I've done numerous rifle SAFS but formal handgun training has been in small bits, almost more like introductions to that particular school's available training, and I've done it numerous times as my state-based grassroots political organization was doing fundraiser shoots at the school.

Been shooting 30 years and I'll be honest -- I have been thoroughly impressed with these guys and their ability to actually impart info directly, immediately and without a shred of useless BS, even in these compacted sessions. Not only in their hands-on with me, but in watching them from merely a couple yards away working with folks both at my skill level and with others that are demonstrably far more novice than I am.

I don't know where TDI (Ohio) fits among well known trainers and outfits, but I have been duly impressed with what I have seen from their staff. I have not once, not ever witnessed some "Johnny Tactical" that looks, acts or sounds like a YouTube warrior, but I've watched professionals who have obvious skill at actually teaching and presenting knowledge and skill in a manner that impressed me.

It's long been my desire to attend their classes in order, but having the money -AND- the time available at the same time has eluded me.

The option for "a bit more than 1 or 2 lifetime" is where I'd be slotted here.

At the same time, I feel confident in where my skills are at currently and am also a true believer that I'm 90%+ of the typical "got my permit and a .380 in muh pocket!" crowd. Frankly, I'd be just as interested (or more!) in classroom or lectures as I would in the live fire part of it.

I've also had the (great!) advantage of a range where we can draw and shoot, set up drills, run a clock, and bounce ideas and repetitions off each other.

I recently completed FASTER saves lives training with Chris and Michelle Cerino of Cerino training group and Andrew from Apex tactics and shooting. Also had an instructor from TDI up to observe and lend a hand. Everyone associated with this class was top notch. If you get a chance to train with the Cerinos or Andrew with Apex shooting or TDI please do. It was awesome.

There was no tacticool Rambo stuff going on at all. We talked about mindset a lot. We had 3.5 hours of medical training. We did force on force scenarios. We talked more about why we do things instead of how we do things. (If that makes sense). We finished up with the OPOTA qualification +3. We had to get 26/28 to qualify. The class called for 1000 rounds but we probably only used 600-700.

Big shout out for The Buckeye Firearms Association and also Chris Timmerman from Tactical Skills Development. Chris and his crew taught the “primer” course we had to complete before attending FASTER. If you are in the west central Ohio area look them up. (Sidney area)

I would like to train more often and would also like to get down to TDI. But I rarely have time and money at the same time. I know how you feel Sevens

As part of my job description, I "give job specific training"(not firearms training) to groups of employees on an as needed basis. Giving the same level of training to every employee in the group(regardless of past experience) is an absolute waste of time. Either the inexperienced don't grasp the fundamentals or the well experienced get bored. I proposed a new employee training regimen to help prevent the "newbie" basic questions.
The same thing will happen in a mixed group of shooters resulting in either confusion or boredom.
I also find the choreographed hand movements and "dance steps" the "trainer dudes" use to be quite embarrassing. I'm sure some of this training may be suitable for new shooters but even then it can go terribly WRONG. Several years back, a guy was attempting a weak hand draw from a shoulder holster and shot himself in the chest. The guy wasn't an experienced shooter and tried to emulate some tricky presentation displayed by the "trainer" ending up DEAD.

Many quality trainers have required sequences to get to more advanced techniques.

Again, there are quacks in all fields. That doesn't mean that a knowledgeable person cannot find quality training.

Back