Poll for Rem. 700 vtr's claimed accuracy of these guns?

How accurate is your 700 vtr stock or, with mods?

• sub moa

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • average moa accuracy

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • 1-2" moa

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • very poor and inconsistent accuracy

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters
These worked well for me. Most accurate was 35gr Berger hp with 28 grains of Varget followed by a 39gr Sierra with 25 grains of H335. The 40gr bullets I tried seemed to open groups up considerably, the 1-12 twist may be a bit slow to stabilize them but you may have better luck with them. For prairie dogs 32gr bullets should ideal.

The powders I have right now for small calibers are Varget and Benchmark. I also can get the 35gr. bergers locally so I'll give that load a try Thanks! :)

I can't comment on personal experience with a vtr but I do own two VLS M700's. One is in .223 that will shoot into the same hole at 100 and into an inch at 300 when there is no wind. The other is a .260 and is sub MOA also, but not as good as the .223. I like Remington. I use H322 and IMR4350 for these.

Voted sub moa but only after I modified my Remington Model 700 VTR in .308 Win. as follows:

1) chopped the ridiculous looking & useless "Star Wars":rolleyes: muzzle brake & recess crowned the remaining barrel 1/4" from the face.

2) replaced the trigger with a Timney set at 1.5 pounds.

3) pillar bedded the action & dremeled down the contact points & free floated the barrel.

It has a 2.5-10x40mm Bushnell Elite 4200 scope mounted on it & can shoot 3 x 150 grain Nosler Partitions pushed by an undisclosed amount of H-Varget into a 1/2" group at 100 yards all day long.:D

I have a VTR and immediatly after I bought it ordered a 20 MOA alloy steel base, and the TSRW rings from TPS and topped it with a nikon 3-9, it was a decent shooter but like everyone else says the stock is pure junk, after a couple hundred rounds it was loosing it so i ordered recently an H.S. Precision stock from midway. The barrel is free floated now and its back to shootin quarter size groups at 100 yds.

After I chopped the muzzle brake the barrel of my VTR in .308 Win. is only 20" long.

After pillar bedding & free floating the gun is rock solid.

Unlike most I like the factory stock with its big spongy for-end.

Shot my buck this fall with that rifle.

What a short accurate little beauty of a rifle to carry in the woods.

011.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

I never owned a VTR but I have owned numerous 700s in BDL, one ADL, Varmint Synthetic, Varmint and CDL.

They have all been able to group sub moa (my vote) with factory ammunition.

Shoot it and see. You might be one of the lucky ones. If not, no harm, no foul. Trick it out or sling it, and chalk it up to experience.

I've never found a remington 700 that I couldn't get to shoot .5" groups at 100 yards. It may involve some serious experimentation with loads and modifying the stock but I've always been able to make 'em shoot.

Jhedges: I have a VTR and immediatly after I bought it ordered a 20 MOA alloy steel base, and the TSRW rings from TPS and topped it with a nikon 3-9, it was a decent shooter but like everyone else says the stock is pure junk, after a couple hundred rounds it was loosing it so i ordered recently an H.S. Precision stock from midway. The barrel is free floated now and its back to shootin quarter size groups at 100 yds.

One chap on another forum epoxied in a couple of carbon fiber arrow shafts to strengthen & stiffen up the factory Remington VTR stock.

It apparently worked quite well.

I'm going to try it with my VTR if my stock spaghettis out on me.

Remington should be ashamed for marketing a gun with such a substandard stock.:mad:

Big Green has slipped far and fast in the past 10 years.:(

Last edited:
I am convinced that if there is nothing damaged effecting accuracy, or manufacturing irregularities, just about every rifle will shoot sub-moa.

I have a stock Eddystone 1917 that has a shot-out barrel that gets .75moa at 100 yards. My Win 94 gets .5 moa at 300 yards.

Hand-loading was the key to making my firearms more accurate.

Last edited:
p5200,

Seems you did things backwards. Bought the rifle then started doing research on it to confirm or reject your decision.

Shoot the dang thing and then decide whether it is a keeper or not. Until then, you have no idea how it will shoot.

My 204 /VTR

I have had my VTR in 204 for about 3 weeks now, I have tested 4 different powders and 2 bullet weights. I think my 12 ga. will group better then the VTR. I have had no luck at all, I just pulled the scope off it today, and am going to trade off. I am a Remington fan but but lost some faith on this one.

Seems you did things backwards. Bought the rifle then started doing research on it to confirm or reject your decision.

LOL.......I have to agree I why did you put the "cart before the horse"

I do like my Rem 700s, but the triangle barrel just wont grow on me. Cant speak for the VTR, but my .308 700 SPS Varmint will print dime size groups if I do my part.

Win 94: I am convinced that if there is nothing damaged effecting accuracy, or manufacturing irregularities, just about every rifle will shoot sub-moa.

I have a stock Eddystone 1917 that has a shot-out barrel that gets .75moa at 100 yards. My Win 94 gets .5 moa at 300 yards.

Hand-loading was the key to making my firearms more accurate.

All that monotonous accuracy must be getting boring.

Every gun owner needs a clunker of a disgrace to the firearms race in his gun cabinet to make his other guns look good.

I have a Lee Enfield .303 BR that won't put 3 shots inside a 8" aluminum pie plate at 50 yards on a calm day.

I was gonna use it as a car jack handle but will trade it to you for one of those tediously accurate guns of yours.:D

I think that these vary alot from cailber to caliber, I think that the .308 guys are having better luck than some of the others. I only kept my 22-250 for about 2 months then traded it off, it shot just ok, nothing special, I think a new stock would have made a big difference.

Back