Police Seize Guns of Recently Dead

So dead people retain the right to bear arms? Do we have to ship them off to Valhalla strapped?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cold-dea...-guns-from-families-following-owners-funerals
The state law says that if the permit holder dies, the estate has 15 days to dispose of the guns or turn them in to authorities, who can hold the weapons up to two years. LoHud.com reported that violation of the law by survivors is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine.

15 days to transfer the gun/s to an heir or other legal permit holder. That's a lazy governmental thief.

So dead people retain the right to bear arms?
Property rights for items owned by persons now deceased almost inevitably pass to other persons. It's not really taking guns from dead people, it's taking them from their heirs.

I work in the Estate business, and we have seen some of the craziest stuff when it comes to firearms. Almost every municipality deals with these things differently.

More often than not, family makes firearms disappear from a home pretty quickly.
Usually without any paperwork.

I guess if the dead can vote, they might very well shoot also....

I'm just kidding! it's too early for the zombie threads.

More often than not, family makes firearms disappear from a home pretty quickly.
Usually without any paperwork.

As well they should, if otherwise the state is going to try to steal them.

JohnKSa.
It's not really taking guns from dead people, it's taking them from their heirs.

But if the heirs follow the law the guns are not taken. That's what the article says.
While there may be disagreement about the need for a permit, that is the law. That was the law before the owner passed away, it is the law now that the owner is gone.

You asked if dead people retained the right to bear arms. I pointed out that the persons actually losing the weapons were the heirs, not the dead people.

Yes, if the heirs know all the laws and know them ahead of time so they can make arrangements in the short amount of time after death (or perhaps before the death) to comply with the laws, then they will not lose the guns. If they don't, they will lose them.

EITHER way, it's not the dead people losing the guns, it's the heirs. Which means that questions about the 2nd amendment rights of dead people aren't really applicable to the situation because they aren't the ones who keep or lose the guns after their death--that's the only point I was trying to make in my response.

Buzzcook said:
But if the heirs follow the law the guns are not taken. That's what the article says.
While there may be disagreement about the need for a permit, that is the law. That was the law before the owner passed away, it is the law now that the owner is gone.
But "the law" only gives the heirs (who may be in another state, or even another country, and who may not know anything about New York State's laws) just fifteen days to jump through all the legal hoops so they can take possession of their property. I don't know about New York, but in my state it could easily take fifteen days or more for the probate court to even approve the executor. Until that happens, nothing can be distributed. (At least, not officially and legally.)

Back