Police Positive in .38 Special, made in 1928

Nice! Looks great, I got my great grandfathers a few months back. It's like a 1929 with the leather holster. Yours sure as heck looks a lot better. He was a phila police officer in the 20's. Got his billy club too. If it could talk (looks well used)

I think mine is from 1921 and says "Army Special". It has black grips that are hard rubber or something like that. I will try to post a picture. Congratulations on a great find! :)

I think mine is from 1921 and says "Army Special". It has black grips that are hard rubber or something like that. I will try to post a picture. Congratulations on a great find!

Howdy

The Army Special and the Police Positive Special were two very different models. The Army Special was built on a larger frame than the Police Positives or the Police Positive Special. In this photo, the large revolver at the upper right is an Army Special. Directly below it and slightly to the left is a Police Positive Special. You can see the Army Special is larger, and the trigger guard is shaped quite differently.

four%20colts_zpspcbzna9v.jpg

In 1927 Colt changed the name of the Army Special to Official Police. Same gun, new name, reflecting Colt's desire to market the gun to law enforcement agencies.

Back