Police officers = civilians or part of the armed forces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good question and allows everyone to play the semantic game. :)

Depending on who is playing the game, the definition of “police” can be viewed as either. Depending on what dictionary is used, and what year said dictionary was written, the definition is different.

I never say citizen or civilian. My reports say "victim", "party", "suspect", subject", and sometimes "operator".

Last edited:
"when you consider that language evolves."
Or becomes distorted either intentionally, or unintentionally.
Some prize examples from history on why it's a poor idea to confuse the functions of the military & the police, which are seperate.
The "Black'n Tans" in Ireland.
The Vichy French "Milice"

Oh! Wait I may perhaps, while being quotoed out of context, have mis-spoken.

Civilians. Cops are civilians who wear badges. Nothing else. If you are not subject to the UCMJ, you are a civilian. Its that damn simple. People are tired of this crap. Most, if not all these "military wanna be cops would not survive one week of basic combat training, they are wanna be's. I dont give a rats bum about current definitions. UCMJ = military, not subject to the UCMJ = civilian.
More and more people are having their eyes opened to the militarization of police depts. I think it is about time. I said, on this forum, long ago, that if I saw a cop getting his a$$ handed to him on the side of the road that I would drive on by. Well, on my way home from my oilfield rotation I saw a cop having problems fighting with a person during a traffic stop. And yes, I drove right on by. I refuse to aid any cop, until the military attitudes are a thing of the past.

Policeman, 1950:
policeman.jpg

Policeman 2000

308329051_ee53d77643.jpg

Redworm said:
Yes but not so simple when you consider that language evolves.
Which part evolved? The primary definition of "civilian," one who specializes in civil law, does appear to define the activities of the police (see below).

It is only upon looking at secondary/tertiary meanings that we see some shifting.

As for the police itself, its root meaning is to administer civil policy (from L. politia "civil administration," from Gk. politeia "public," from politēs "citizen," from polis "city, state"). This meaning has not changed, despite the idea (fact?) of turning the police into a paramilitary force.

"when you consider that language evolves."
Or becomes distorted either intentionally, or unintentionally.
that's fair, many people view the evolution of language as a distortion

but language still changes whether anyone wants it to or not
Which part evolved? The primary definition of "civilian," one who specializes in civil law, does appear to define the activities of the police (see below).

It is only upon looking at secondary/tertiary meanings that we see some shifting.
exactly. those other meanings seem to have changed over the years, at least in the public consciousness. and society as a whole tends to have a much greater influence in the changes of language than the legal scholars who know the etymology of such words.
As for the police itself, its root meaning is to administer civil policy (from L. politia "civil administration," from Gk. politeia "public," from politēs "citizen," from polis "city, state"). This meaning has not changed, despite the idea (fact?) of turning the police into a paramilitary force.
hopefully the meaning stays the same for some time but the police turning into a paramilitary force would probably still happen regardless of what anyone thinks the word "police" means :(

Dust Monkey
Civilians. Cops are civilians who wear badges. Nothing else. If you are not subject to the UCMJ, you are a civilian.

Exactly.

I said, on this forum, long ago, that if I saw a cop getting his a$$ handed to him on the side of the road that I would drive on by.

I have two sons who are LEOs. With your attitude I would hope that they would do the same for you, perhaps even stop and watch. I really do! However, since they are both sworn to uphold the law, no matter the situation, you would be able to count on them to come to your aid.

I will not argue that the police force has become more and more militarized, in fact, I am quite disturbed by what has been happening with that.

At any rate, I do think that the police officers cannot be banged too much for using the term 'civilians,' as many of them were active military before they came on the force.

The simple fact is that there are too many badge heavy cops who want to exert control, and too few who want to serve and protect the public. What the ratio is I won't hazard a guess, but the former certainly make sure they stand out.

...Most, if not all these "military wanna be cops would not survive one week of basic combat training,...
Wrong. Most have already had it. Many law enforcement are prior service, or still National Guard or Reserves.
I refuse to aid any cop, until the military attitudes are a thing of the past.
That's OK, we'll still do our jobs, no matter what your atitude is.

Police use the term civilian as a means to distinguish LEOs from non-LEOs. It is not intended to be demeaning, and the practice is no different than other examples, such as vaudeville performers, who up through the 1920s used to call non-performers "civilians".

This topic gets beat to death routinely on gun boards.

Do police officers also refer to gang bangers or suspects as civilian?

Is there any relationship to using the word civilian and being against CCW?

I said, on this forum, long ago, that if I saw a cop getting his a$$ handed to him on the side of the road that I would drive on by. Well, on my way home from my oilfield rotation I saw a cop having problems fighting with a person during a traffic stop. And yes, I drove right on by. I refuse to aid any cop, until the military attitudes are a thing of the past.

It brings up another what came first- chicken or egg question.

That would be the dreaded us vs. them mentality and who is to blame. :(

No, the criminal element gets its own designations.
There is no connection between using the term and an officers views on concealed carry.

This is not a attempt to Dog all LEO. Most are the best folks in the world. The ones I see all milled up are WANTA BEES, and in no way Military. They are a bunch of Young kids that think they are in charge of some thing!

Yep I avoid them at all cost. Every time I had contact with them I ended up playing there game, or in front of the judge and being let go ten minutes later.

What we have are no where near professional, soldiers.

They are not any thing other then civilian controlled goon's around here.

The state troopers are the ones you need to talk to. They here both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back