Police: How many are now using a weapons light?

And some realistic FoF training show what works AND what doesn't pretty quickly.

Go take a Sure-fire low light combatives course. Then we can talk apples to apples

And that is the way I was trained; flashlight held in the left hand at arms length and slightly ahead of the body. But modern techniques are always assumed to be better until some folks find out the hard way that they aren't.

Modern techniques are better because lots of people found out the hard way that the old techniques aren't.

I feel compelled to chime in. I have a light issued for my pistol but I do not use it. The only reason? I don't have a holster for it and i am too cheap to buy one. I frequently serve search warrants and often carry either a rifle (with a light) or a shield (with a light on it). If not one of the above, I can make do and shoot plenty good enough with a hand held flashlight.

I have an administration and firearms coordinator who have the opinion of "train to the lowest common denominator." While this should be a consideration at times, I don't feel like a weapons light is too hard to train to. The assumption is that officers will start to use their WML when they should use a flashlight. Because of this, they will not issue lights or holsters. If we want one we must buy our own. For a long time they refused to issue any weapons with rails (we literally ran 16 year old stamped slide p220s until last year other than a few newer models obtained as the agency grew). Now we finally have all new p227s with rails, but must purchase our own light and holster. Of course the light and holster must be approved by the firearms coordinator before he will qualify you with it. The cheapest option of holster/light combo on the approved list runs around 220 (cheapest light allowed is a stream light tlr-6), but it was much more until recently when the cheapest combo allowed was around 330 (surefire x300 being cheapest light option before). Yes... My agency wanted to keep everyone priced out.

I was one of two people who had a light issued because of my job function, but I had to buy a holster to utilize it (makes perfect sense, right?). Instead I let a K9 handler use it (he needs it more than I do when he's tracking on lead) and got in trouble for doing that. So yeah... There are agencies left out there that are very anti WML. I work for one but it has gotten better. At any rate, we have a few guys that use them despite my agencies efforts to discourage their use. I hope to be a firearms coordinator in a 5-10 years and I hope to stop the stupid games. Oh and I will carry a 1911 on duty then :)

I'm not of the opinion that everyone should be issued a pistol light. All agencies have a finite budget and some things (such as updated investigation tools, which we also lack) take precedence. I think anyone who wishes to purchase their own should be allowed to do so without jumping through hoops. Oh and holsters could be provided, or at least subsidized.

Last edited:
"Modern techniques are better because lots of people found out the hard way that the old techniques aren't."

Don't forget that those old techniques were once modern and new and better; until "people found out the hard way" that they weren't so good after all.

Jim

And that is the way I was trained; flashlight held in the left hand at arms length and slightly ahead of the body. But modern techniques are always assumed to be better until some folks find out the hard way that they aren't.
Ah, the "FBI technique." Ensures you're shooting one handed, every time. If you're using a flashlight that's too big to use the Surefire, ayoob, or other technique, it will work. Not my favorite, as I like to keep both hands on the gun.

For those who carry a WML, do you also carry a handheld light? Do you practice the transition from WML to handheld and vice-versa?

At night I carry an alternate small high intensity LED light (800 lumen) that can blind an assailant. Since I pocket carry, I keep a laxer dot and tritium sights on my 9mm. I think the addition of a light on a firearm would be too bulky for concealed carry. The light I have fits well on my full-sized Berettas, but would only use them for night range shooting.

For those who carry a WML, do you also carry a handheld light? Do you practice the transition from WML to handheld and vice-versa?

Yes, both are carried. I don't think Mom and Pop would appreciate having a WML pointed at them on a traffic stop.

To reiterate, a weapon mounted light (WML) doesn't replace a standalone flashlight. It's a separate tool with a separate purpose.

I've had to hold a car full of felons at gunpoint before while trying to radio for backup at 3:30 a.m. Gun in one hand, flashlight in the other, and my radio mic in the mix as well. In this situation, a WML would have made my life a lot easier and safer. I'll definitely be getting one before rotating back to night shift.

Back