Polar bear rifle, what would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Largest caliber I currently have is 338/06 so I'd load that up with Nosler Partitions and feel well equipped. Backup would be my old trusty 4 5/8" Super Bhawk 44 mag.

Polar Bears are going to kill and eat you if they get the chance ,bigger is better with them IMHO. I a'm a great shot with my CZ 550 American 458 Lott and open iron sights. I'm a'm confident a 500 grain 458 will give me a good chance of stopping a Polar Bear . I a'm not recoil shy . Chances are your only going to get 1 shot any way B 4 you become a lite snack for the Polar Bear .

Last edited:
a 12ga loaded with slug buckshot combo

Must have a death wish. Slugs maybe, buckshot is a big no,no.

The 375 would be my 1st choice, but since i don't own one and had to choose between the rifles I own it would be a 30-06 with heavy handloads.

scaled.php

Up close and personal which means in camp and out doing whatever it is I am doing then not a rifle but a shotgun, either this semi-auto or one of my pump actions. Slugs all the way.

If I was deliberately hunting them than any rifle from my 300 WBY on up. 180 gr Core-Lokt SP have been working for me since the 70's, see no reason to change now.

Flame thrower,, for one because everyone knows that the "WhiteBear" doesn't care for warmth.:D:p I actually second what "ole grump" says!!;)

Ruger super alaskan .454 Casull and a Marlin .450 Marlin. When it can stop a grizzly it can also stop a polar bear.

Your rifle will do fine. Make sure you use a lube with a very low freezing point, in WWII battle of stalingrad the German Mausers bolts froze.

Bear Stopper??

I'm thinking a 450 Beowolf or the 50 Bushmaster and the 50 caliber 1911. Also 2 good dog to give you a heads up just a tad sooner than later. The biggest thing I would pray for is not to have the zipper on my sleeping bag freeze shut you may laugh but I had this happen once when I was delivering a load of Christmas trees in Canada one year. Had a good bag ****ty heater in my truck. LOL

30-06 200gr. SBT 2700fps/3200ftlbs should be enough to take a polar bear down. If not, thats all I got that would kill one so maybe I will just shoot whitetail.

Ruger Alaskan 375 ruger,Marlin Guide Gun with big loop lever in 45/70,or a trusty 12 guage shoot gun and definetly a 44mag revolver.

Last edited:
Wow, it took a while for someone to say .45-70!! Just missed it myself.

I don't think there is any cartridge you could consider great for this purpose, good maybe.

Hard to turn down .375 H&H or .45-70. To each his own though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back