Polar bear rifle, what would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geologist

For defending your remote camp in the arctic, not hunting.

What would you have in your tent?

I have worked there and keep a degreased BRNO 602, .375 H&H in my tent.

I like that it is a Mauser action CRF, has excellent quality express sights and a large 6 round magazine.

I still have a couple of boxes of 300 gr Failsafes for it.

It's a heavy carbine but it is very re-assuring to have it in the tent.

PA170025.jpg

bearguns0005_1.jpg

geologist

Nice rifle and beautiful dogs, may I ask what is hanging on the underside of the barrel? Flashlight or laser?

.22 WMR

The priming compound is more reliable in sub-freezing conditions. I can carry substantially more ammunition. The rifle weighs 1/3 of your .375 H&H.

It fits me like a glove, and I can shoot it with my eyes close. Familiarity trumps "power". It's all in how you use it.

I would want a Ma Deuce (Browning M2 .50BMG machine gun)! :D. Polar bears are immense. I just saw one at the Milwaukee Zoo today and thought about what type of gun it would take to take one down.

The polar bear unlike other types sees you as lunch ! He will stalk you and eat you !
Bring a dog for early warning system ! 338 ,375 ,416 all will do the job .

A few questions which came to mind about this:

How quietly can a polar bear sneak up to the side of a tent?

How long does it take a polar bear to rip down a tent?

How long does it take a polar bear to rip a sleeping person out of a sleeping bag?

How quickly can a person who’s been asleep in what used to be a quality sleeping bag inside what used to be a tent get a rifle and aim it at a critical part of a polar bear?

How long does it take a polar bear to eat a person who’s been asleep in a sleeping bag inside a tent but is now outside what used to be a tent and halfway out of what used to be a good sleeping bag?

Does a polar bear eat all of a person who’s been inside what used to be a tent and asleep in what used to be a good sleeping bag all at once, or does it leave part of the person for lunch tomorrow?

As usual the real issue is not killing but stopping. Killing in hunting can be--and usually is--a case of the hunter knowing more about the situation than the prey, and using a rifle from a basically-safe distance.

Stopping is an "up close and personal" thing. A cartridge which can break bone and pretty much wreck the nervous system becomes the proper choice.

A high degree of skill and an icy control of one's adrenalin is a plus, of course. :D

Nice rifle and beautiful dogs, may I ask what is hanging on the underside of the barrel? Flashlight or laser?

It's a bit of a gag photo. That plastic bracket came with some hiking poles. It's holding a Fenix LD10 flashlight. I would have to tape it for it to stay in place but it actually works well for getting light on where you are pointing the carbine. It's hard to hold a flashlight and aim a long gun at a bear at 3 AM rooting through your tent, been dere, don dat.

PA170034.jpg

.44 Mag handgun w/Buffalo Bore hard Keith SWC bullet loaded heads.
.30-06 Ackley Improved bolt-action rifle and a good, stays-put-together, 180 gr. bullet.

If I just wanted to defend myself in camp I would choose a 12 ga shotgun with the best slugs. It is short, light, and handles naturally. In addition it has the punch I would want.

I would not want a scope sighted rifle for tent or camp defense.

I do agree that a .44 Mag revolver would be something I would want for ease of getting into action from a sleeping bag.

Jerry

I would have to be very weary of choosing a bolt action rifle for cqb in freezing conditions. Saying that, the only rifle I would think could handle the elements would be a accuracy international artic warfare sniper system ( I think that's what its called ) it is a 338 lupua and very reliable in freezing conditions. Other then that I would choose a nice ak47 and get some good quality grease that is freeze resistant, remember even if there is freeze resistant grease, don't use much of it, a little is all you will need. The reason I say a ak47 is there extremely tough and reliable. Keep your ammunition dry as well and I wouldn't use no oil on the rifle...just a tiny bit of grease :)

Most Zoos in the United States keep a 458 Win Mag in their armory in the unfortunate eventuality that a large animal decides it doesn't like captivity.

The Toledo Zoo keepers qualify on our local range, and I can verify they keep 458 Win Mags for the polar bear house.....Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back