Point shooting

Someone posted the video link below in a thread about how to grip a pistol. It also demonstrates point shooting the 1911 pistol. Notice how they say the closer to eye level you bring the pistol, the more accurate you will be. Hip firing, in my opinion, should only be done closer in.

Combat Firing with Hand Guns (1944)

At ranges of 3-7 yards I can usually score center mass hits focusing on the target, if I bring my pistol close to eye level. The lower the pistol is in my plane of vision the larger my grouping becomes. With a 1911 type pistol I use my regular two, or one handed hold and I have found focusing on the head, puts my shots in the torso.

For pocket pistols I really like the technique called The Zipper. Which is where you begin firing as soon as the pistol comes parallel to the target and you continue to fire as you bring the pistol up to eye level. All the while your focus is on the target.

One of the very best things you can do in regard to any point shooting no matter the technique, is to find a place to shoot backed up by a good bare dirt berm. Get up to point shoot range and put up your target. A grapefruit or some other smallish thing unlikely to be of any danger when hit. You will have instant feedback regarding shot placement. Slow at first and proceed as necessary. The dry dirt gives instant visual confirmation of the hit. Getting hits into a torso sized area, and quite a bit smaller, comes faster than you would think.

Well, I have been working under the limitation that I don't have the time or money to do much practice at all. In fact, I'm having less and less of both as time goes by and that is a problem. It's just coincidental that Fairbairn and Applegate were working under largely the same limitations, although other circumstances differed.

We teach some point shooting in our Defensive Handgun I class here in Richmond. Students seem to enjoy it. I think that it is a critical skill.

Back