Pocket size 9mm "1911" in design pistols

RickB said:
My P938 holds 7+1 in a package that is literally half the size and weight.
Really?

You're talking about a Colt Officers ACP or clone equivalent. My Officers ACP is 7-1/4" long (measured from the beavertail to the muzzle) and 5-1/16" high (including the sights). So you somehow came up with a P938 that's 3-5/8" long and 2-1/2" high? Where is that on the Sig Sauer web site?

(Sorry, Rick, but you said "literally," not me.)

I didn't say you can't find a lighter, more compact .45 than mine, but it is HUGE compared to the SIG.
Obviously, a gun with a 3" barrel is not half as long as one with a 3.5" barrel, but I'm talking about the overall . . . mass, let's say. Surface area? Cubic inches. A 12" pizza is twice as big as a 9" pizza.
A compact 1911 is still a really big, heavy gun, while the SIG disappears in my hand (my hand might be bigger than yours), and hardly pulls my pants down in a pocket.

cw308's comment started me down the rabbit hole of dimensions. As I commented earlier in this thread, both the Springfield 911 9mm and the Sig P938 are expanded variants of the Colt Mustang clones, and the Colt Mustang itself is a clone of an earlier Spanish pistol. The 911 and the P938 are sort of "1911-ish" in their placement of the operating controls, but the resemblance ends there. That got me wondering how much of a size advantage do those guns actually provide over small models of "real" 1911s. So I looked.

The 911 and the P938 both have 3" barrels and are 5.9" in length. The 911 is listed by SA at 5.9" high, the P938 is listed by Sig as 4.3" tall. I can't explain that difference, as the guns appear to be pretty much the same. Maybe on includes sights in the height, the other is measure to the top of the slide? Dunno.

So then I went into the archives of the M1911.org on-line magazine and dredged up their review of the original SA EMP. The article provides a dimension comparison of the EMP against a Colt Defender and a Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg (which is even smaller than the Defender). Here's the chart (reproduced by permission):

table1.jpg

They are all 3" barrels. The "real" 1911s are a tad higher, which probably isn't a significant factor in concealment. The "real" 1911s are somewhat longer, and that's probably mostly in the beavertail grip safety. The thickness seems to be the same for all of them. If you were comfortable bobbing the beavertail, the length could be reduced by shortening the grip safety.

For someone who wants a 1911-like pistol, I don't see much reason to buy a 911 or a P938 when there are any number of "real" 1911s that are not much larger.
I disagree. I use the 911 for specific purposes not as my primary conceal firearm. When I wear attire without belts like my exercise clothing that have elastic waist bands the weight of the firearms becomes a critical issue at least for me. The lightest firearm you have listed in your chart is 23 oz. and the 911 in 9mm cal is 15 oz. and in the .380 it is 12 oz. A half pound difference in a firearm in this situation is the difference between having to constantly pull your pants or shorts up constantly like those idiots that wear their pants right above the knees.

The proper carry is more of the problem , they do make a waist band carry , it's very concealable and comfortable for every size pistol.

They can be.
I had a trigger job done to my 938 by The SIG Armorer, and it's a nice, crisp ~4 pounds; I can't imagine trying to shoot a one-pound gun with an in-spec, seven-pound trigger.

wild cat mccane said:
I'm sorry, but the Sig 380s and 9mm 1911s triggers are nothing amazing.
Are you talking about 1911s in 9mm, or are you talking about the 9mm big brothers of the Sig P380/Colt Mustang/Kimber Micro 380?

I put a Galloway trigger and sear spring in my 238. l 4 lbs with minimal take up and over travel. Its an easy to shoot gun.

Back