pocket pistol tactics ... S&W 638

A second posting, regarding 'knife vs. gun'

The "21 foot" rule has spawned some really stupid conclusions.

The "21 foot" rule, or Tueller concept says a person with a holstered handgun cannot react fast enough to avoid being injured by an attacker armed with a knife within 21 feet.

This has been taken to mean - by some - that within a 21 foot radius, a person armed with a knife will always defeat a person armed with a handgun. This is NOT true.

What it means is, whoever starts the fight within 21 feet is nearly always going to get in the first lick. A person armed with a knife, baseball bat, cattle prod or handgun who STARTS the action will [usually] score the first blow.

This also assumes the attacker doesn't try to intimidate or impress the perceived victim by demonstrating his weapon. If a person is brandishing a knife or impact weapon and is closing on me, I will be, at the very least, getting a proper grip on my sidearm, opening any retention devices and planning my next move (shoot, move, push dependents out of line of action, signalling for assistance, etc).

Wild Bill, I understand your reaction to the dispatch call. I remember going through a couple of academies and being trained in a multitude of possible scenarios in a multitude of disciplines. The first event on duty was NEVER covered in the manual. Not even close.

Based on Tom Givens' presentation regarding the 60+ defensive gunfights his students (Memphis TN area) have been involved in, the AVERAGE gunfight was 3 shots at 3 feet or less and was over in 3 seconds.

But, I thought he put that in proper context by saying not to put too much stock in averages. For one thing, if you prepare for the average that means you're under-prepared half the time. For another, you can have one foot in a bucket of ice and the other in a campfire and on average you're comfortable. But if you don't want to get burned, you'd better be able to handle a fire even if on average you don't need to.

Of these DGUs that Tom Givens' students encountered, at least one of them involved stopping a man 25 yards away who was crouched behind a car. Another one of the DGUs was 11 shots and the reason it wasn't more was because the gun went dry at 11 rounds and there wasn't time for a reload. The average gun fight was 3 rounds/feet/seconds but that is just an average.

All that said, nothing wrong with a 638 and I carry one too. There are times when that small of a gun is all I can readily carry given how I have to dress sometimes. When I'm able to dress more to my liking though, the 638 becomes the BUG and a more conventional autoloader gets carried too. Yet another line I remember from Tom Givens' presentation was the observation that, in debriefing these private citizen DGUs and a number of police gunfights, he said that (paraphrasing) no one in a gun fight ever wished they had a gun that shot a less powerful round or held fewer rounds of ammunition.

I have a .45, a 500 S&W, and more ... this was not that debate, this is a training video when YOU DO have a small wheel gun, which is one of the most carried guns in firearms history.

Take it from a street pro long in experience ... Big heavy guns, especially in summer are mostly carried by cops. Why? Because if they are printed or spotted they are more secure if approached by other LE. It is a hassle to have the cops called on you, and/or just plain carry a big gun all the time. Some folks who do not work in the field like the novelty of the big gun carry, and will after years of carry go light more often.

If you let a gun change your reactions or personality it will get you in trouble ... in more ways than one. If you would run without a gun, run with one. Take my advice and live longer, and free longer!!!!!!!!!!

Nanuk, sorry to dissapoint you but you are not a match for a good blade

People like you always make the same mistake bikers, crime guys, and other over confident fellows do...

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I AM NOT A BLADE GUY?

EVER HEARD OF KUZAN? My Sensei in the way of the sword, short and long ...

Only a fool does such, and I am glad they do...:eek:

Go back to your comic books now and keep the posting on point...

I'm new here but not new to guns and this looks like a great thread to jump into. LOL ;)

First of all, thanks to the OP for doing the video. In a lifetime of carrying firearms I had never really considered the advantage of a covered hammer for shooting out of a pocket. And to be honest although I have an ancient Charter Arms Undercover, and I know there are hammerless models I didn't know they made snubbies where you could also access the hammer.

I can envision situations where a surprise move like shooting right through the pocket could be advantageous, and an auto very likely would get caught in the material.

However, 18 rounds of 9mm beats 5 rounds of .38 no matter how fast you can reload! :) :)

Back