Pocket Defense Knife?

Jelly

What do you recommend to look for in an always carry, folding/clipped pocket knife that's used primarily in a utility fashion (whatever I need it for) but there if a defense situation ever presents itself?

What about the Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Mini Covert?

0001365806924_500X500.jpg

Last edited:
Well I live in Massachusetts but spend about 50% of my time in Rhode Island, where the maximum legal blade length of a knife is 3 inches. Therefore I carry a Benchmade (great knives) knife with a 2.96 inch blade.

Believe it or not my friend was once arrested for having a knife with a blade of about 4 inches! Obviously the charges were dropped as it is a pretty bogus law in the first place, just gotta be careful.

Benchmade and Spyderco offer a wide selection of suitable knives. My personal preference runs towards lockbacks and framelocks in preference to liner locks. Liner locks aren't as trustworthy as a lockback or frame lock, IME. Balisongs are also very, very strong provided you purchase one of the quality models offered by Benchmade, Spyderco, or Cold Steel. Local laws may rule out a bali, however.
I usually carry a Spyderco Police Model or a Reeve Large Sebenza Classic as a "defensive" knife.

I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion everyday now. It comes in handy every day and would be a good defensive knife if needed. Look them up on ebay or somewhere.

I carry a defensive knife at 1 o'clock that is never used to cut anything and a SAK in my pocket for day to day use. If I'm in the field I carry a one hand opening folder clipped in the pocket.

Spyderco Delica. I prefer the straight-edge blade as it is more useful for general knife tasks.

The only thing I've done recently with a knife that called for the serrated edge was to cut out the carpet in the dining room after the "plumbing failure" last week. I had had the combination bladed knife for 15 years and that was the first cut it had made. I'll admit it is a "carpet-cutting dude".

I think Emerson folders are the best pocket carry designs. They are extremely well made amd conform to Californis law which allows a 4 inch blade.

I was almost arrested for my spyderco endura. I was at a bar one night, not even drunk. I was working on it, but at the time the incident happened I was no where close. In hindsight, it looks like the cop really took advantage of me, but I ended up staying out of jail.

It was St. Pattys day, so the bar was packed. The line for the restroom was over 20 minutes long, since one of them had broken earlier in the evening, and I had to go to the bathroom. Well, not the smartest thing to do, but I went outside and found a dark corner. Just as I am about to finish, I get spotlighted. The officer walks up to me and tells me to finish up what I am doing. I finish and turn to talk to him, and he starts going about how drunk I am and that he can take me to jail for it and indecent exposure. He then sees the clip in my pocket and asks what I need a knife for. I tell him I always carry it because you never know when you will need a knife. He then asks me to pull it out, sees its a spyderco and remarks how nice a knife it is. He opens it, lays it across his palm, and behold, the blade is longer than his palm is wide. He then goes on to tell me that my knife is illegal and hassles me about why I need a knife that big. All through this I stay pretty calm, so he winds up saying that he can see Im a reasonable guy, so he will let me go. He said that he had to take my knife though. He then walks off. I never got his name or a reciept for the knife. I guarantee that officer is sporting a very well maintained Endura right now.

That night, I was just glad not to go to jail, but went home and looked up the Tennessee laws on the matter. Carrying with intent to go armed is carrying a knife with a blade whose length exceeds 4 inches. My next stop was Spyderco's website. Endura blade length- 3.96 inches. The officer definetly had no right to take my knife, probably didn't follow procedure in taking my knife, and probably never turned it in. Lesson learned, dont do stupid things at bars, but be extra careful to know your rights so you dont end up with no knife and no recourse, as I didn't know his name or have any proof that he ever took the knife.

As a funny side note, one of the guys I was with went out at the same time as I did. He was not seen, and saw me having the conversation with the officer. He went back in the bar, got the girls we were with and they all came outside to watch me get arrested.

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian or a Spyderco Delica in my front right pocket. I also carry a Cold Steel Voyager. I like Kershaw's Ken Onion offerings as well.

They are extremely well made amd conform to Californis law which allows a 4 inch blade.

There is no blade length limit in California law, except in some special cases regarding school grounds and automatic knives. State law allows you to carry a 6"-blade Vaquero Grande folder if you wanted, provided the folder is closed in your pocket. Note that there are a few municipalities that have their own laws, which are more restrictive. The laws are in section 12020 of the penal code, you can check them out yourself.

Regarding folder choice, the key points for me:
- Axis lock, lockback, framelock, anything but a liner lock. Liner locks are too difficult to consistently make reliable, IMO. Not everyone agrees with me, though people who test their locks for reliability tend to agree.
- Carry something that's legal in your area
- Carry something you can open one-handed
- Carry something that isn't so big and heavy that you'll leave it home

Joe

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=710

I carry a Benchmade 710 by McHenry and Williams. I own about 5 other Benchmades, a few Cold Steel Voyager lock backs, and 2 Gerbers. The 710 is by far the best knife I have EVER carried and I will probably buy a few more to replace mine when it wears out.

It has a stainless steel liner with G-10 laminates, an ATS-34 blade, and the awesome Axis lock. The opening action is super smooth yet the knife will not open by gravity alone. It opens very easily with one hand and closes just as easily.

I carry on my waistband behind my belt. It is much less obvious since benchmade mounts the clip very high up. Only half an inch of the knife sticks out making it very well concealed. The profile is pretty thin (about 3/8 of an inch) making it pretty comfortable to carry. The knife can also be used as a kubaton if non-lethal force is called for. The stainless liners are super tough. The knife holds and edge very well cond comes back very easily. To sum it up, best damn knife I've ever carried.

Best place to buy knives is www.knifeworks.com . They have great prices and a lot less hassle than eBay. I have bought knives off eBay but I am always a little wary about what I will get. Buy only from sellers with lots of positive feedback only.

I am going to get a couple of Benchmade Auto's just for S&G's and then get a normal folder for everyday carry :). I will post what I am going to get when I get home, it's almost end of work day for me :).

Wayne

Wayne, make sure you handle the knives before you buy them. That may seem kind of obvious but I've bought knives that looked great online but just don't feel good in the hand. Make sure you check out the Benchmade 710 like I said. It really is all that and a bag of chips. Besides, Benchmade is in your home state!

Spyderco Native - Plain Edge - Clipped in right front jeans pocket - Does everthing I need ~ and readily available if needed for self defense ~ thankfully, never had to resort to that.

John

Okay, I'm home.

Here is what I was looking at for a everyday carry knife. Now, I was thinking of just carrying one of the auto's. Anyway, to help me decide:

Normal open: http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=941

Automatics: http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=9500

and

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=4200

All three have the belt clip so that they are not concealed, which makes them legal for carry :).

Wayne

stephen426: Yeah, I know :D :D :D

Something inexpensive

I got a "Winchester" folding knife at WalMart for $7.88. Good steel, good grip, locks tight. Blade is 3 1/4 inches. If you lose it, or have it taken away, it is easily replaced. :D
Comes with a nice belt loop nylon case, too.

If I may

Interject a side note:

Since I am in Oregon, I have the chance, and the Right, to carry as well as buy fully auto knives. It is the federal law that makes it illegal for automatic knives to be shipped across state lines. That since Benchmade is made in Oregon, and Oregon law states that I can carry auto knives, just not concealed (open carry only), I am able to buy these knives.

This is unacceptable. I don't like the "I have my Rights, you can't have yours". I firmly believe that everyone should have the Right to purchase, and carry, auto knives.

I will hear many people say, "What does this have to do with guns". Because like a firearm, a knife is in the catagory of "keeping and bearing arms". An "arm" is any weapon that can be used for protection or for defensive use. "Arms" was not just firearms IMNSHO. Many may (will) disagree with me but this is what I believe.

The reason that I am saying this now is that I picked up a Benchmade Auto Knife yesterday. The MSRP is $200.00 on the website but I got it on sale for $125.00. It is the Model 9500 that I posted links to above.

I must say that the spring is exceptionally strong and it opens with such speed that you don't even realize that it's open. Sharper then anything that I've ever owned, and for quick one handed operation.

If you feel, as I do, that the federal laws are stupid in regards to auto knives, please fight for your Rights to buy and own as I am able to do as well as your fight for gun ownership.

Thank you,

Wayne

Back