PMC ammo

eagleye

Local gun dealer just got some PMC ammo in today. Would like to know how good it is before I buy any. Would like some opinions on this. Thanks

------------------
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves againest tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson

Hi Eagleye,

I have used PMC as well as other brands and I find that I never have any jams or misfires
with it. It`s cheap enough not to put me in the poor house. Since I`m not a super good shot it works for me.

I have tried more expensive ammo and the accuracy wasn`t any better, so i guess it`s me.

Try a few boxes to see how your gun likes it before you buy a lot of it. If you can get it for less than 6.50 a box, it`s a good deal.

Eagleye,

I shot alot of the PMC 9mm 115 gr. ammo and have found it to be a good target stuff. I also have saved and reloaded the brass over and over again and it has held up well.
I have also shot there .223 and .357 target loadings without a bad experience.

Good Luck

Well, he never said what caliber his gun is, sooo, depending on what gun he has, he could pay alot more than 6.50 and still be getting a deal... I know for 9mm that's true in this area at least

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

No complaints shooting the 9mm other than it is a pretty dirty ammo. That being said, I find it no dirtier than Winchester White box.

I did find one 165 grn .40 round that appeared to have a "U" machined into the top of the brass once. Who knows what would have happened if I shot it? Probably nothing but I did call it to PMC's attention. I got an email from their CS manager apologizing for the shoddy round and asked me to send it back for replacement and he would send some extra ammo for my time. Havent taken him up on it yet.

Overall, never had a Failure to fire with PMC. That is something I can't say for Winchester or S&B

It's good stuff as far as I've seen. PMC is at least as accurate as I am on a good day, although I wouldn't want to use it to shoot an apple off of my dog's head--my neighbor's dog's head, maybe. Seriously, it's good ammo, at least in the .38 Spl. and .357 Mag. calibers.

BTW, I think I remember seeing somewhere (maybe it was on the box) that PMC ammo is assembled in Korea. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Not that it's all that important.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

I'm shooting .357 S&W 686.

------------------
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves againest tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson

DAL yes i belive so i have a box of PMC eldorado starfire in 45cal and the box does say korea.

you are right

I have been shooting PMC ammo for many years now. I think it is just right for range work. Yes most PMC ammo is made in Mexico and Korea, but from what I understand the .40 cal. and Eldorado line are made here in the USA.

Mas Ayoob reported on some slaughterhouse tests done a few years ago. Live steers were shot in the head with various handgun ammo from several calibers. PMC/Eldorado STARFIRE beat Win/Rem/Fed in .45ACP. I carry Starfire in my on- and off-duty .45s.

I believe the guy (Tom Z.) who designed the Starfire slugs also designed the HydraShok and a couple of other well-known expanding slugs.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BTW, I think I remember seeing somewhere (maybe it was on the box) that PMC ammo is assembled in Korea. Can anyone confirm or deny this?[/quote]

DAL, yes it is made in Korea. I picked up a few boxes of PMC .45 ACP FMJ last night and that's the first thing I noticed. As far as the $6.50/box thing, what type is that? They were selling it for $12.00 for a box of 50 at a local shop.

Me, being new to guns, thought it was a deal because the range I'm at sells their reloads for $12.00 for a box of 50. I've shot for a few years, but I purchased my first handgun about two weeks ago.

It's not bad ammo and the 115 grain is pretty accurate. Like someone said earlier, buy a couple of boxes and see if your 9mm likes it.
Save your cases, whether you reload now or later or maybe give them to a friend who does reload . . . for Xmas!

Hey, some people actually buy brass at the range or through mail order. NOT!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

The first, last, and only box of PMC I have used was PMC Eldorado Starfire in .38 special +P. I bought 2 boxes of 20, and this was the worst ammo i have used. Luckily, i never had to use them in a defensive situation. I bought some gold dots for that. These 2 boxes of starfire were worst than the 10 year old bag of reloads I used. I was using a S&W Model 19. Many of the starfires didnt feel like they had much umph (maybe not enough powder?). My dad was shooting and there was an even lower bang. He was about to shoot again but i told him to let me see the gun. There was a starfire bullet in the barrel. Luckily, He did not fire another shot. That bullet was lodged in there pretty tight. I had to have a gunsmith who worked for the range get it out. I dont know if that is how all PMC ammo is, but I would be very hesitant to use it again. Can someone tell me if this has only happened to me and i bought 2 boxes of lemons.

I haven't had any problems with PMC ammo. I have noticed that their .357Mag, 44Mag, and 10mm Auto ammo is pretty stout on recoil/muzzle blast. In case it matters to anyone I have seen their 9mm ammo marked either made in R.O.Korea or made in Mexico. I haven't shot the Mexican stuff.......

The intital posting didn't mention caliber, but FWIW, I tried some PMC .22 target ammo last week in both a Colt Woodsman and a Colt Ace. The ammo would not function either gun. It appears to be very low velocity and accurate (based on results in a Winchester 52) but on this ammo at least try a box before you jump into a big purchase.

Jim

HKKiddo - I've shot 1000's of rounds of PMC for practice and had no problems. The usual complaint I've heard is that PMC is a little too hot, not too light. It does sound like you got a bad lot.

Jim - I've heard on other BB's that PMC .22 target is good in bolt actions only. It is iffy in semi-autos and your experience confirms that. The PMC regular seems to be ok in sa's.

I've seen many variations on what PMC stands for, but the consensus is that it is Pusan Metallic Cartridge. So it would be Korean, fo' sho'.

I like the near fmj shape of the star-fire for feeding purposes in autos and it seems to hold up better than a same wieght silver tip (posted on this before) and the starfire appeared to penetrate more.

I have finished off an antelope/deer or two with a 9mm 115 gr starfire and it seems to work very well. Typically expanding to 40 cal and pentrating 8-10 inches without exiting when shot into the body. Holds up well when hitting bone and have not seen the jacket seperate from the core. Wound track does not look as messy as a silvertip but goes deeper. A head shot will not expand the bullet but goes right through leaving equal sized holes and killing nearly instantly.

Its been a while since I purchased the stuff.. but i remember pmc/el dorado starfire was cheaper than silvertips.

hope the info helps,

Dr.Rob

We are talking about the Poor Man's Cartridge
here---Nevertheless they have gone well for
me and I have no complaints-and yes they do
seem hotter than the others--and that's OK
with me.If the price is right then buy them,
except for .22's.
22's can be fussy about what they like--I have found that overall length is a good
indicator of how well they fit and function.
Less than an inch is better than an inch or
more--put some different types thru your dial
calipers and see if it works for you.

Back