Plugs and Muffs - Indoor range

I picked up Electronic Earmufs from Harbor Freight for $20. I will probably get blasted for buying them (cheap quality, etc...) but they work just great. They arent stereo, just one ear. But for $20 more you can buy another set and swap the unit out from that and PRESTO get a stereo set.

I have had much success with them and noticed no ill effects.

Muffs vs plugs

I have worn plugs and or muffs for shooting since 1972 and plugs at work since 1979. The past several years I have used electronic muffs when I serve as a range officer and I find them quite useful ( Note: range officers are several feet behind the firing line). I have my hearing checked semi-annually and have only a mild high freqency loss in one ear (from working around ultra-high noise fans). Requardless of how it appears to you, plugs are better than muffs. The NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) is highest for Soft Foam Plugs WITHOUT the strings. The weak point for muffs is the seal between your head and the muff. Thousands of different heads but only 2 or three seal styles. You hardly ever get a "perfect" fit.

Sorry about the long rant, but I work in a "high noise industry" and know dozens of Grandfathers who cannot hear their grandchildren sing. It is very sad to watch someone set through their "golden years" unable to hear.

schutzen,

Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear from someone who has been shooting longer than I've been alive (well, almost).

This might be obvious to some and I think Ive read it here before but I thought I'd share this. I used to wear muffs whenever I shot until I shot a new rifle. I'm not sure if it was the stock design or just how I shouldered the weapon but my right muff lifted slightly off my head. I didnt notice it until it went BANG! Ive switched to plugs now but never thought of useing both. Just something to think about,
Ken

I use cheap muffs which work fine outside, but indoors - it's plugs and muffs. Everything is just so magnified, muffs or plugs alone isn't enough protection.

Back