Please help- revolver vs auto

chaim

I have always prefered revolvers. They simply always seemed to have a charm and class unmatched by autos. I like their versatility: can fire any ammo (never heard of a revolver that had trouble with cast lead bullets, LSWCs or JHPs), chambered in virtually all calibers (.22 to major hunting calibers that rival carbines in power, plus the auto calibers- 9mm, .45acp, etc.), and the ability of some to fire multiple types of ammo (i.e. a .357 mag can shoot .38 spl, a .44 mag can chamber .44 spl, etc.). Plus, they are inexpensive (even the best revolvers are rarely much over $500-600).

My first gun was a revolver, a used Taurus 82 in .38spl. I now own a S&W 65 in .357mag. Lately, I've had my found myself looking longingly upon a Taurus 85 and 850, a S&W 60 and 36, a
Ruger SP 101, and even a Rossi. I own and have owned autos but in the past I always prefered revolvers.

Now, I own a 1911 that is seriously undermining my preference for revolvers. A 1911 can seriously challenge a revolver on class.

I am looking at the offerings and see all kinds of variety in autos. Small concealable numbers (Kahr, Kel Tec, NAA) that are nearly as reliable and concealable (sometimes more concealable) as the best snubs. Some (like the previously mentioned 1911) are nearly as classy as a revolver. Today there seem to be several quality autos that sell in the same range as revolvers (CZ, Ruger, Kel Tec, Glock- almost). Autos in .45 may be as (or more) accurate in comparison to a .38 revolver, and can also be used for hunting (.22 autos are also highly accurate). Autos are also made in some previously revolver only calibers (.44 and .357 mag Desert Eagles, plus the .50 AE is as powerful as many revolver only calibers). Plus, they usually have an advantage in capacity.

Please help. I love revolvers (that won't change) but I am starting to prefer autos. Please remind me of the virtues of a nice revolver. Convince me to stay true and keep my preference for revolvers. If you prefer a revolver, please explain why.

Oh, boy, now you've opened a can of worms! ;) Revolver vs semi-auto is one of those debates that will never, ever be settled. Kind of like Glocks vs everything else, or pro-choice vs pro-life. ;)

Me, I've always been more drawn to semi-autos. My first handgun was a semi-auto, and I chose it because I wanted its larger capacity -- 13 rounds. But my last two semi-autos were post-ban, and the capacity difference is no longer as significant. So I'm not sure why I still prefer semi-autos.

I would like to add at least one good revolver to my small but growing arsenal. Shouldn't every gun owner have at least one revolver?

I'll be following your responses closely.

Autoloaders and revolvers are not mutually exclusive. Enjoy both, buy outstanding quality revolvers and semiautomatics, become highly proficient with all, and employ them as you alone judge smartest. I love my wheelguns, but that doesn't reduce my enjoyment of a fine 1911A1 or a Sig, H&K or CZ.

Like both. Have carried both as work tools. I prefer revolver for defensive situations and autoloader for offensive.

Sam

You can compromise with the traditional (i.e. non-striker) DAO autos such as the Beretta D model or Kel Tec. I know there are others but I can't name them.

Do you like beer or champaign best? Like the others mentioned, enjoy both.:) No need to choose. Buy what you like best today, and tomorrow (or next month, depending on where you live) buy what you like best then. Each have their best attributes.
I'm in total agreement with RWK.:) :) :) :) :)

Both types have their virtues. I can't help but feel that the revolver offers an extra margin of security in a crisis, if only because of such issues as possible limpwristing with a semi-auto.

For the home I believe the shotgun should be the first line of defense.

I wouldn't really call my "shooting stock", a collection.

ALL of the firearms which I have obtained are "users". I delight in having the right pistol for the particular clothes I've chosen for that day. Recently though, I've been going through a "phase". In the mornings, I seem to be slipping a revolver in my holster more often than not. Making the choice is a nice way to start the day!

Kentucky Rifle

I like semiautos, but prefer revolvers - IMO nothing matches the reliability and sturdy simplicity of a revolver. In firearms, I tend to prefer the more traditional sort.

Keep in mind, though, this comes from a gal who is wild about shooting muzzleloaders... ain't no .50 cal. like a .50 cal. percussion! :D

I have always liked autoloaders too, but I always LOVED revolvers. I came here expecting others who love revolvers to talk me back into that preference but I guess most others are already where I'm going. I now LOVE both, my preference seems to change weekly depending upon my mood.

When I move to a CCW state I will likely carry both. A small auto (like Kahr or Kel Tec) for backup along with a midsize .357 mag. on some days, a .38 snubbie for backup along with a mid or full-size auto on others.

Now, I've been finding myself taking my 1911 to the range much more than my .357 but that is always subject to change.

I was afraid I may be opening a can of worms with this topic, having heard about how strong some people can be with their preferences, but I guess many are like I am starting to be. Oh well, I would have liked to be talked back into mainly liking revolvers and seeing autos as secondary (though I still planed to own several), it would have been more economical. I guess there is no hope- I am probably going to continue to absolutely HAVE to get several different revolvers AND a bunch of autos (to paraphrase a potato chip slogan "betcha' can't have just one" :) ).

Oh, almost forgot.

Calamity, I'd have to agree that blackpowder is great fun. I recently got a cheap (brass) 1858 Remington replica and I got the bug. I am now looking at both 1860 Colt Army and 1851 Navy replicas (steel this time). I also want a Civil War era rifle and rifled musket reproduction and a Revolutionary War era flintlock reproduction. Great fun and highly addictive but, one more thing to help me go broke :) .

I prefer revolvers as trail guns because you can put whatever loads you wish in them, and you can mix them (snake load followed with a lead bullet, etc). There is also an undeniable charm to the single action revolvers.

However, for use under stress I would prefer my CZ-75. It feels as if it grew out of my hand, and I would prefer the single action trigger on semi-autos to the double action pull on revolvers when my butt is on the line (at a range or for plinking I don't care). This paragraph would apply the same to the 1911.

As to the shotgun for home defense, well, my house must be *much* smaller that the average one because I find the shotgun (even the short variety) to be way too clumsy to manouver in narrow corridors or passages. I would much rather have a handgun in such a situation.

a funeral.......

My States DPS was the first in the nation to be issued the then new 357 magnum--1937 was the year our DPS was formed.
From then to 1993 we never had a Trooper killed because the 357 round or gun failed him..........
I joined in 1969---that was the first year our state had a Tactical Team---I was on it
I made deadly insertions armed with the N frame 357 magnum-it was designed as an offensive weapon-----
In 1970 I served as pall bearer for a good friend ---Deputy Sheriff Geno Genitti.
His semi-auto pistol jammed and he was shot to death while attempting to clear a jam......
I hear lots of talk from folks who hacve never been in a gunfight.
Bill Jordan was a friend as well----He has and so have I
In 1999 our FBI made a report privy to LE only--I will share the facts with you...
Of all the shots fired by criminals---10% hit their intended target
Law men in America were twice as good----20% for them...........
I suggest --handgunners-civilians and lawmen alike--return to the basics of accuracy with their handguns.
All in all the facts indicate EVERYBODY is shooting more and hitting less!
Don Mallard

The first pistol I ever shot was my father's model 19 when I was 8 years old. I'm still impressed by the sheets of flame that poured out the sides of its cylinder.

Since then I've shot a lot of autos but in our woods lurk water moccasins, alligators, bears, wild dogs, wilder hogs, coyotes and things which go bump in the night. I'd rather have the sure knowledge that whatever M&M eating critter I run into will see those flames even if I miss it the first five shots.

You have never been nervous until you've been confronted at night on a lonely logging road by something big and noisy in the woods and all you have on you is a .32 pocket gun. :eek:

I carry a 9mm semi-auto. However, after shooting that new Taurus 650 revolver, I now realize that:

It IS less likely to jam. (Although the 9mm never has)
I can load "snake-shot" in it.
I can use .38 special, .38 +P , OR .357 magum ammo.
ONLY negative I can see is 5 rounds before reload.

- Depends on what you expect to run into I suppose.

Logistar

The revolver has some distinct advantages for a defensive weapon over the semi-auto pistol.

It is ammo-independent, and the bullet shape doesn't make a difference in a revolver, either.

It has no magazine to lose, break or drop by accident.

It will fire out of a coat pocket without hanging up the mechanism for a second shot, and it will also fire and "cycle" when someone else has grabbed part of it in a struggle.

It is easily verified as loaded or unloaded, and can be rendered safe instantly by swinging the cylinder out.

It has no safeties to accidentally engage or forget to disengage, and it has an easy, uniform manual of arms.

It offers a better "power-to-weight" ratio than most autos.

If you're needing to hide it, auto. One possibility I don't think has been mentioned is that a revolver seems to work better for teaching kids to shoot. (although the kid might think the autos look cooler) Revolver's generally more accurate over longer distances...and seems to handle better (and that could be simply 'cause when young..learned to shoot with revolvers..not many had auto's about..and no,I'm not that old). And anyway, outside of Maks, many autos I've had or shot over the years will jam. Have only mucked up a revolver when getting a empty under the star (idiot! keep the cylinder pointed down when ejecting!) Like the Medusa idea too, but have never seen one (although the down south brethren have done that manner of thing without a specialized revolver). Happy Holidays all..and for those overseas, hope your home soon.

Don Mallard, Your posts are a treat to read. I hope you will continue to post on this board. You have an insight the vast majority of us lack because of your experience.

I carry an auto for basic defense but if I'm challenged to a duel, it is tradition to use my revolver....the real trick is to stay composed and not shoot him when he slaps your face with his glove....

Back