Please help identify this wonderfull .22

I never saw one go full auto; mostly they won't even go semi-auto. They have a peculiar action in which the gun fires, the bolt comes back and locks back until the trigger is released. Then the front of the bolt goes forward picking up and loading a fresh round, while the rear of the bolt (called the "hammer"), stays back until the trigger is pulled. The "hammer" and the long firing pin then go forward and fire the chambered round. The whole thing is a nightmare compared to the sweet simplicity of the Remington Nylon 66 or the Ruger 10/22.

Jim

My limited experience with them is that they have to be kept clean as a whistle and lubricated with a light oil.

When they start to get a little dirty, reliability goes to down in a big way.

I never saw one go full auto; mostly they won't even go semi-auto.

Seen a few in my day; One was brand new from a Woolco store. Guy brought it into the shop complaining about it going full auto. I told him it was not very likely that a new gun would do that. He said he would give me the gun if I test fired it and it DIDN'T go FA. I loaded it, pulled the trigger, and sure enough 15 or so shots zipped right into the bullet trap, much to my amazement. Kinda neat in a way, but we sent it back to Savage.

Another time we ran into a couple of guys in the Everglades shooting and having a ball with their FA Springfield 187.

I was given an old Stevens that needed a feed ramp assembly replaced. I made the repair, and when I went to test fire it, ZIIIIIIIIIIIIP. It got broken up for parts and sold.

Usually, they go FA when some of the internal parts wear. This is (IMO) due to the unusual design whereby the bolt is held back until the trigger is released.

Although 15 or 16 shots going downrange in one ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiip is amusing, you don't want to get caught with it.

Not a common occurrence I suppose, but it can and does happen.

Back