Please help identify this rifle

Many years ago back in my tool and die maker days I helped several friends make sporters out of these great old military rifles. They all had one thing in common, they were great shooters.

Thanks for your help everyone. After reading through all the replies I decided that, as the age old saying goes, you get what you pay for. In light of that, I ended up going out today and buying a Browning X Bolt chambered in 30-06. A bit more money up front, but I'm sure in the long run It's going to be a purchase that I will not regret.

For a suggestion on the scope it would help greatly if you told of the amount you can afford to spend. Scopes can go from you get what you pay for $49.95 cheapo to scopes you would have to take out a loan on your house to afford. Also what it will be used for, and how often it will be used are big factors.

If it is for pure hunting, and maybe the occasional paper punching to confirm sight in. A $200 to $400 dollar scope will fill your needs.

I have bought the cheap scopes that have served their purpouse well. I have a good varmint/target scope on my Savage. I paid $150 or so for it. It has worked quite well. If you do your homework you will find some lower priced scopes that will do everthing a scope costing at least twice that will, just not quite as clear of a picture.

Nikon ProStaff scopes are pretty good. They have the one with the BDC reticle for $169, I would get that one if you are going to get a Nikon.

How can I be sure that I will be able to mount it on the X Bolt? Also what height would be recommended to mount it? Low... medium?

the prostaff will have no problems on an xbolt. the height that you choose should be whatever is most comfortable for you that will not interfere with operation(which is just about any commercially available rings). if you have to smash your cheek into the stock to see through the scope then it's too low. if your chin has to rest on top of the cheek rest then it's too high, you want a nice medium somewhere and sadly the only way to know for sure is trial and error. if you take it to be professionally mounted some shops will let you try a number of ring heights before mounting and only charge you for the ones you pick.

For all who are interested :D... Now to put it all together
20130214_185607.jpg

Back