please help. filler screws for holes in s&w model 41

I am really not up to speed on the newer ones. Comments that they are just not the precision of the older models.

The older ones coule be problematical. My brohter had one he sold as it did not work right (if I had only known, dang)

What made them good was they were hand fitted.

What can make thgat a problem is its done by hand.

That gets into a some and some thing. I had never heard of a bad one until he told me about his (sigh).

On the Average I would guess the new ones are decent as they are consistent.

But I don't think they had the quality or accuracy of the old ones.

Kind of a take and an opinion. No issues with mine at all.

Funny story how I got it as the counter guys snatched them when they came in, bought them and then sold them for big bucks. List was $168 as I remember. S&W made the stores sell them no higher than list.

They had a new guy at Pay n Pak (long gone) he put it out before the pro saw it had come in.

Said pro came out from back of the store while I had it in my hot hands and tried to convince me it was not for sale.

Really? Lets see, its on my side here, I have a check written out for it, you can try to take it away from me or you can accept you screwed up and a customer gets it. Make my day. One of the best dirty looks I ever got, didn't help I was laughing.

Not really related, but the NROTC unit that I instructed at had a pile of S&W 41's that had seen a ton of use but still shot fairly well, except they tended to fail to extract. Not a terribly hard fix, but due to bureaucracy it would have taken about 3 years to get them fixed so the Midshipmen got used to clearing malfunctions.

They also had a bunch of Remington 40X's, also with worn out extractors that could still make one ragged hole at 50'.

What they had in the de-milled "drill rifle" arsenal would make just about anyone cry. About 50 Garands of which I am by no means an expert, AND a pile of old ARs, all serial numbers starting with "XM" with receivers welded shut.

I have never, in my 47+ years doing gun repair seen #6-48 screws with a tapered, hex-socket head.

Every optics base screw that I've used and seen are either Weaver, or fillister style heads, for hex-socket, torx or slotted driver bits.
From this chair, that screw is most likely a #6-32 thread, and NOT something you would want to invest in.

Thanks for the additional posts.

Always nice to hear about the potential longevity of any firearm. Too bad about those drill rifles!

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with my decision not to buy this particular model 41.

Back