Please educate me - 45 Long Colt

yup, green and yellow box is Remington - 250 grain Lead RN box of 50.

Cost was not reasonable, but I didn't expect it to be. With shipping, those are .95¢ each. I gotta dust off the reloading bench - at least I will have some brass to use.

Trail boss.

Trail boss is great, I stumbled on this thread seeking data on B.P. .45lc loads, so far I have only used trail boss behind 250, 230, and 200gr lead I think you will be safe, working up untill you see signs of pressure, or you find the muzzle flip a bit much for shooting holes in paper without a actual grizzly bear charging you, as I did. 5.7 gr was more than needed I felt, and started back at 5.5 and stayed there. Good luck.

The Uberti finally came today. What a well made pistol! It felt good in the hand. The trigger broke at a very clean 3.5 lbs. really sweet. USPS delivered it to my FFL at 4:30 pm so no range time today. Tomorrow will be a nice day, and a perfect day to scare some paper.
Thanks for all the advice and conversation.

Last edited:
Here ya go.
A. Uberti - Stoeger - Cattleman 45 Colt - 4 3/4 Barrel
iODUxx6.jpg

JZwf1PP.jpg

sqeTfzx.jpg

You're safe

Just use reputable ammo that duplicates factory (250 gr. @ 800 - 850 f/s), or cowboy action (lighter bullets, less velocity) loads. Stay away from the Buffalo Bore and similar makes, which are WAY stouter than you want to run through that pretty revolver. If you stick with factory/Cowboy Action loads, your shooting hand will tell you to quit before your revolver will.

Ron - you may be aware of it but if not . . . just remember that the cylinder pin has two notches in it. Seated all the way in, it acts as a safety and will not let you hammer fall far enough to shoot. Slid out into the second notch - you are all set to go. Some folks don't realize that at first and then wonder why their gun won't go bang.

Nice looking revolver - you enjoy that! Good luck with it! Will be anxious to hear what you think of it after you shoot it. Enjoy! :)

Stay away from the Buffalo Bore and similar makes, which are WAY stouter than you want to run through that pretty revolver.

Howdy

Folks keep repeating this misinformation. Some Buffalo bore ammo is perfectly fine to shoot in a replica of the Single Action Army, some is not. Refer to the Buffalo Bore website and read the specific information about specific loads to determine if they can be shot in a specific revolver.

@bedbugbilly
Thanks for that reminder. I did read the info that came with the gun and that info was in there. Last night I stripped it down to de-oil it (I could have lubed my truck with all the oil splashed in that baby ) and in reassemble, darned if I didn't go all the way in, thinking to myself "that don't look right". I had already forgotten the tip in the manual. So, a great big thanks for pointing that out.
I've not made it to the range yet thankfully cause I would have been dumbfounded sure as hell.
Let the flames begin!
I'm gonna make a hi ride holster for it I think. I will post it if I do. I've got leather.... It takes about 4 hours to make one, so might find something to buy instead lol. The sewing part is what takes the time.

Last edited:
DRIFTWOOD JOHNSON is right, of course. Buffalo Bore and other companies DO make cartridges that are closer to average ballistics for said cartridge. The cartridges to which I MEANT to refer were the ones loaded to maximum performance, SOME OF WHICH are made by BUFFALO BORE.

My INTENDED message was, if you stay close to factory ballistics with ammo that goes through your Uberti, both you and the revolver will be much happier.

10-4 on Starline - I need to buy around 4/500 cases - Assuming they got good prices.
Don't worry, no big game loads for me. I'll shoot the normal stuff.
Regards all!
Ron

My reloading skills are pretty rusty at present but I would load on the moderate side for your Uberti-those "bear" loads are only safe in much heavier
revolvers, Rugers, 454 Casull, etc.

Stay away from such superdoozy 45 Colt offerings as:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...t-p-200-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...25-grain-dpx-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20
http://www.luckygunner.com/45-long-colt-265-gr-jhp-corbon-hunter-ht45c265bhp-20-rounds
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=8

etc, etc, etc....

Notwithstanding these companies can also make standard pressure stuff...
just make it simple and stick w/ the likes of ULTRAMAX*... which at
250gr/700fps from my New Vaquero is more than enough to take
most anything east of the Mississippi at SAA pistol ranges ;)

Reloading-wise, anything that Lyman puts out under their standard 45 Colt
section is fine. (

* (which also leaves you w/ cool Starline brass)

Last edited:
Ron . . . LOL . . . they say "experience is the best teacher" and it surely is!

I just wanted to "remind" on the cylinder pin. I learned it on my Uberti Bisley which I got before my Cattleman. Like you, I broke it down and removed the several "gallons of oil". I took it out back to my range and first trigger pull . . . "click". :eek: THEN I remembered about the two notch cylinder pin!

One of these days, I'm going to shorten the pins on my Bisley and my Cattleman and do away with the first groove so when the pin is seated all the way in . . . it not only looks right it functions the way it should. What can a person say other than "God Bless the lawyers!". :)

Cool thing about the .45 Colt is that even with moderately warm loads, the cases last for eons. If you can catch the nicks in the case mouth before they turn into actual splits, you can often trim them out and load them several more times.

The "go to" load around my neck of the woods is 8.0/Unique/250, which is full-power, but by no means unpleasant. 7.2/Unique/250 is slightly easier to shoot, and slightly more economical, and seems to work well in almost everything.

Please update us as to how things work out with the new revolver.

Back