Pistol with flattest trajectory?

In that case, this is your long range handgun answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkiDguYtGw

sort_of_want.jpg

Likewise, Alliant's fastest loads for a 5" Super and 124s is 1,312 from a 5" while the Sig does 1,344fps from a 4".

OK, I'll cherry-pick from your provided data; that's 32fps faster, not 300fps faster, from a 1" shorter barrel.

How about an Artillery Luger, chambered in .30, with custom handloads using 9x23 WIN brass? You should be able to get an 85gr XTP up to an easy 1800fps.

OK, I'll cherry-pick from your provided data; that's 32fps faster, not 300fps faster, from a 1" shorter barrel.

Cherry-pick indeed. I included that for fairness sake. Every load is not identical, else what would be the point?

Point 1).38Super is no where close to "the flattest shooting". I doubt it makes the top 10.

Point 2)The .357sig beats it EASILY and by 200, even 300, fps in SHORTER barrels. Yes, in some data it's only 20 or 30 fps. That is literally the exception that proves the rule.

Point 3)Neither is appropriate for squirrels.

.357 sig is nothing compared to the 9x25 Dillon.
Think .357 sig on steroids, since it uses the full size 10mm auto case.

We're talking 2100FPS with a 90 grain bullet from a 6'' bbl.
1800FPS w/ 115 grainers
1700FPS w/ 124 gr

.38 super is what? 1400fps with a 115 grain bullet. 400fps difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwZ1OpLscjQ

Neck the 9x25 down to .308 and you should be achieving more velocity than .30 carbine in a pistol length barrel with equal weight bullets. With lighter bullets (85 grains) and a 6'' barrel, you're looking at velocities comparable to 7.62x39, .300blackout with carbine length (16in) barrels.

Last edited:
is that the youth model? Where's the 20mm one?

Well, I wasn't sure if the OP was ready for the "full-power" one just yet. But if he's huntin BIG squirrels, then yeah, may have to recommend the 20mm pistol instead. :D

Seriously, now that we know your parameters better, the .17 Hummer is perfect. But if you really want to step up, .17 WSM rimfire, or centerfires: .17 Hornet, .17 Rem Fireball, .17 Mach IV

Yea, 17 rifle is great but I want something I can holster for easy travel and greater challenge.

I love deer hunting with my S&W 460 XVR

Smaller cal the better with light grain... . 17 seems nice

RickB, The 38 Super Auto compared to the 357 Sig discussion got me curious. While I don't see either as a squirrel round, I too did not think they were that different in velocity.

The data I looked at did also test the sig with a shorter barrel. In the 124-125 bullets, the fastest loads for both were with the 125. If I am reading the tables right, the 357 sig's fastest 125 load was 1438 fps and the fastest 125 out of the 38 super auto was 1399. The Sig is faster even giving up 1" of barrel but not a big difference. Below is the link to Hodgdon's load data as I may have read it wrong. YMMV

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Oh, yes - the Raging Hornet - that may just be the ticket - or a single shot precision rifle like a T/C Contender or Magnum Research Lone Eagle in a varmint chambering.

My bad - I forget we were doing handguns.

T_rh.jpg

Point 3)Neither is appropriate for squirrels.
Well crap I guess I shouldn't hav shot all those squirrels I have with a 357 either.
You'd be suprised how little damage a 38 cal fmj or hard cast does to small game much less than a Stinger, 22 Mag JHP or 17 HMR.

As to the 38 Super vs 357 Sig, if you have the right Super you can use 9X23 data;)

While you'd have to make ammo adjustments for squirrels, the pistols I know with the flattest trajectories are all single shots, chambered in rifle calibers. T/C Contenders or Encores. Or the Remington XP-100 in .221 Fireball.

Well crap I guess I shouldn't hav shot all those squirrels I have with a 357 either.
You'd be suprised how little damage a 38 cal fmj or hard cast does to small game much less than a Stinger, 22 Mag JHP or 17 HMR.

As to the 38 Super vs 357 Sig, if you have the right Super you can use 9X23 data;)

I think that's the secret "fmj"... Even a 17 hmr hollow point would tear whole sections of body away on a squirrel!

I used to be quite capable of hitting a coffee can out to 100 yards with my AMT 22mag automag. I know that round is passe now but it is still a thumper on small game.

The secret to shooting squirrels (for food) with any large caliber gun is to "bark" them. We used to take squirrels with 12ga shotguns, and done right there is all the squirrel left.

The secret is to not shoot the squirrel, but the "bark" it is on. Particularly near the head. Done right, you get a nearly intact dead squirrel.

Takes a little practice, and is a bit harder than directly hitting the squirrel with a small caliber bullet, but if you have a large caliber gun, and want any usable meat left, its the way to do it.

I've stuffed light weight .224 bullets in my 30 carbine Blackhawk using sabots. I never chronied them but they shot pretty well out to 100 yards or so.
Even with plain 30 carbine loads the gun is a flat shooter and holds nice groups at extended ranges.

Not the flattest trajectory compared to some of the ones you guys listed, but flat enough with a heavy enough round to use on hogs and deer, should the need arise. Might damage the meat on a squirrel, though. Just a bit.

140 grains at 1550 ft/sec isn't too shabby.

BuffaloBoretarget2_zpsae288c9b.jpg

Back