Pistol with flattest trajectory?

windstrings

Inactive
I love my 17hmr rifle for varmits because it's fast, very flat trajectory for extended ranges (= more game) But what is the best solution on a pistol?

I have a mk 3 22 cal and I use Aguila high velocity and it's great but poor range and distance?

I don't care about ammo expense and would certainly be putting a nice scope on it. I prefer SS automatic but that's not set on stone either.

Depends on your definition...

An Encore Pro Hunter 15" chambered in .220Swift, .22-250, .204Ruger, etc is going to be the answer.

patriotic said:
I would say something chambered in .38 Super would be the way to go.

.38Super is not even close.

A .357sig will shoot the same weight bullet 200 or even 300fps faster from a 1" shorter barrel.

We really need more specific parameters and distances.

A .460SW Mag with a 14" barrel will shoot pretty darn flat.

It all depends on what the OP is doing with this gun.

Guess I should mention I have a 460 XVR for big game but I'm talking squirrels etc.. I don't want to vaporize them... Would be nice as something else is left to eat!

Ah, see, details save a lot of time being wasted. The question is obviously a lot more than "flattest shooting".

Find something in .17HMR, .22Mag or .17HM2 if you're going after squirrels. "Flat shooting" isn't terribly relevent. You're not going to shoot squirrels with a handgun from very far. 100 yards would be a stretch. Hard to see a squirrel from farther, even if you could hit it, where most squirrels live.

.38Super is not even close.

A .357sig will shoot the same weight bullet 200 or even 300fps faster from a 1" shorter barrel.

357 SIG will shoot a 124/125gr bullet at 1600fps from a 4" barrel?
Maybe 200fps faster, in barrels of equal length, is closer to it.

Squirrels? FN 5.7 or 22 TCM. There have also been a few pistols
chambered in 22 Magnum--which is a bunch flatter than 22 LR.

A Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine should be pretty high on the list. I've chronographed mine at just over 1700 fps with a 100 grain bullet.

357 SIG will shoot a 124/125gr bullet at 1600fps from a 4" barrel?
Maybe 200fps faster, in barrels of equal length, is closer to it.

.38Super doesn't come close to that, at least according to Hodgdon's data. Their fastest +P load with a 124gr is 1,247 from a 5", while the Sig does over 1,400 from a 4". The Sig does over 1,300 with a 147gr in a 4" while the Super does under 1,100 from a 5". Likewise, Alliant's fastest loads for a 5" Super and 124s is 1,312 from a 5" while the Sig does 1,344fps from a 4".

That's not cherry-picked data either, that's the best they both have.

In any case, neither is appropriate for squirrels.;)

5.7 and 22 TCM seem pretty flat. I say TCM cause I just found out about a couple days ago. 357sig is a great choice too. but I think the 5.7 wins on flattest

Be vewy, vewy quiet, we're hunting squirrels.

Range shouldn't be that long. I'd pump out 22lr. Cheap and most pistols hold ten rounds.

I think the FN Five seveN is exactly what you are looking for.

It has the flat trajectory, power and range normally associated with a rifle. I'm sure there are scope mounts for it.

Only problems is ammo can be somewhat expensive but it shouldn't be a problem.

For the ultimate squirrel hunting pistol, you need either the Ruger Charger (really a 10/22 autoloader in a handgun stock) or a Savage Striker (Savage Mk II bolt action in a handgun stock). I've got the Striker.

Isn't the answer rather obvious. There are .17 HMR pistols and revolvers on the market.

You seem to find this caliber in a rifle to suit you requirement (hunting squirrels). Go buy this caliber in a handgun.

Problem solved~

Isn't the answer rather obvious. There are .17 HMR pistols and revolvers on the market.

You seem to find this caliber in a rifle to suit you requirement (hunting squirrels). Go buy this caliber in a handgun.

Problem solved~

That is what I would do.

If you insist on a new caliber the 5.7X28 is nice in a hand gun and has power similar to a 22 magnum from a rifle.

Thx guys, great suggestions.. My friend has a 5.7..nice handgun, not sure about distance accuracy, I would have to research.

I didn't know they made . 17 handguns!... If I could find fmj it might not devastate the squirrel... Just the hydrostatic shock alone would take him out even though it's a tiny hole!

I love a tiny bullet that cuts a tiny hole but can take car of business based on the bullet choice!

10mm auto necked down to .308

Faster than .357 sig, faster than 7.62x25 tok, faster than the .30 carbine, faster than the 5.7x28 and 22TCM (when all compared with equal barrel lengths) with light bullets intended for the 7.62x25 muzzle velocity should be well in excess of 2000fps from a 6'' barrel.

Downside is it's not a commercialized cartridge.

Back