Pistol optics- useful training aid or crutch?

It's the same as with rifle optics; until recently they were so big and fragile as to be impractical for anything but hunting or target use.

As pistol optics shrink and become even sturdier, they will begin to take hold. At the present time, irons still have the edge for durability, ease of use and compactness.

Take the money you would spend on optics.

Put it into a two-day weekend class at a professional firearms training school, with a reputable instructor.

After that class, save up for optics.

You'll come out far ahead in the long run -- saving both money and time -- if you start out with good instruction and build on that. And you can start that process with basic, functional gear.

It's not that the red dot sights can't be valuable. They can! It's just that, when you build a house, a solid foundation always comes before fancy curtains.

pax

for me, it depends on the gun, target, and conditions. In a darkened house at night, a laser is superior on a small semi-auto pistol, even on some revolvers. The laser points instantly and shows up bright. For that, the laser is superior. Gave a S&W revolver with CrimsonTrace grips to my daughter for her home protection and she likes it.
Outside in bright sunlight, the laser is no good for me beyond about 10yds maximum. On a black target the laser dot is even harder to see.

For outside target or even hunting small game, a red dot scope is a big help. Popped a rabbit eating my garden with one shot with a red dot on my .22 pistol at 20yds. Doubt I could do that with with my 83 yr old eyes using open sights offhand.
For 50yd pistol competion, for me, an optical scope far exceeds a red dot. Same with a rifle. YMMV.

However, my most accurate handgun using iron sights is my Blackhawk .357mag. 6-1/2" for cowboy type shootouts that we sometimes have. No "scopes" of anykind permitted! At close range up to 10yds rapid fire I can thumb the hammer and stay in the 10ring. Wouldn't even consider a reddot for that.

So, it 'depends'!

og, who is an older 'fart' than Jim :)

Attachments

• rabbit wiith pistol.JPG
    rabbit wiith pistol.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 16
ltc444 said:
Fixed Iron sights never fail.

O yes they do! I've sheared off two front sights in my pistol shooting (and lost the tritium vial in another set of sights). I am pleased to report that my eyes continued to track the front sight even as it sailed off into the range gravel.

I wouldn't argue against the statement that iron sights are more durable than the current generation of red dots for pistols; but they aren't infallible.

Red dots are an advantage on pistols for the same reason they are an advantage on rifles: better contrast and having the target and reticle in the same plane. However, unlike rifles, red dots on pistols are still relatively fragile and the advantages are minimized somewhat by the coarser accuracy requirements in most pistol use.

I still use irons myself; mostly because I have spent a lot of time training that way. However, I think red dots offer clear benefits and we are definitely less than 10 years and probably less than 5 years from having them as the primary sighting system on most defensive firearms.

pax said:
Put it into a two-day weekend class at a professional firearms training school, with a reputable instructor.

Always good advice. Training will usually be a better investment than gear.

Thanks, Pax - I like that idea

Coaching/instruction, then gear. In fact, I've deliberately kept instruction "off budget" whereas I have a strict limit on how much I can spend on stuff.

I know I can do better with my CZ Kadet as is.

Thanks!

Back